Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What's unique about you religious demographic?

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 11:04 am
I'm working on a childrens book that's aimed to raise awareness, acceptance and unity amongst our different religious/racial/cultural demographics.

Can you tell me what's different, unique and beautiful about yours? What are some highlights to point out? Is there a special dress code that unique to your sect? Any traditions?

Thank you

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 2:28 pm
I would gladly help but the question is unclear? What do you want to know?

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Jun 24 2016, 2:54 pm
I would call myself an "OOT child of fanatic BT" subgroup. I was probably the frummest one in the city my entire life and went to school with people that didn't keep shabbos or kosher (probably 80% of the school) The remaining 19% kept shabbos and kosher but nothing else, and 1%--me included--wore knee socks, got our clothing from frummy stores in NY, were not allowed on any school trips or socializing with the other 99%ers. It was very clear to us growing up that 1. what was all around us was not ok for our family 2. the most important thing in the world is torah and family 3. change is possible

My siblings and I all went away for camp each summer and went away for high school to get a better picture of the frum world/be educated better/have friends. We have all become very strong people because of our experience. I have definite gaps in my knowledge of the wider frum world/my hebrew skills are weak. In many ways I am similar to a BT.

Some of my siblings married people in kollel, some of us are working, but we are all very strong, independent, self-made people. I would not do this to my own children, but after the fact, there are things I learned that made me into who I am that I would not have gained having lived a go-with-the-flow life in a NY bais yaakov.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 12:25 pm
I’m proud we live in a multi-ethnic/multi-cultural democracy where Jews are encouraged to maintain strong identity, well-organised, actively engage and contribute to wider society. Just to give an example, DH was at a multi-faith iftar last night sponsored by Ministry of Defence. I thought it was remarkable that (a) a government body actively hosted a religious event to mark the achievement and show appreciation to Muslim soldiers serving for the country, (b) they invited other faith leaders, and (c) they made sure to order kosher foods for Jewish members.

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 6:33 am
Since someone asked... No, my DH is NOT the Chief Rabbi. Looks like there're many iftars around where rabbis attend...

http://jewishnews.timesofisrae.....fast/

But the best religious garb prize definitely goes to Hacham Bashi!

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.c.....D=393
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics