Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Should I push her?
1  2  Next

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:46 pm
My DD is in 3rd grade and did not have an easy year. She is an average student who works really hard on homework and studies for a long time for tests to get a decent mark. I work a lot with her and get her tutors so that she will do well and be more confident. The problem is that it is summer now and I feel like she should practice a little math etc because she is forgetting her multiplication table etc. but any time I mention practicing something or anything about schools she refuses to hear or do anything. In one way I feel like she can use the break but at the same time she will suffer a lot next year because she will be behind. We will need to learn the stuff again. She does not have a specific learning disability but school is really hard for her. Should I just let her get her full break in the summer or try to bring in the school work in some exciting way?
TIA!

greenfire

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:52 pm
I'm with your daughter ... I don't like to think about school in the summertime

is there a puzzle book that would be fun and educational at the same time ?

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 2:56 pm
Can you make her a deal to let it go for most of the summer if she'll review with you or a tutor before school starts?

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 3:00 pm
I think you should push, but keep it light and engaging. Not boring drills and flashcards, not more than 15 minutes a day, but it's really important. Summer slide is real, and it's cumulative over the years. You do want to institute some sort 9f daily review, but again, not too harsh and not too much time because it IS her break. Tell her it's going to be part of her routine, and you'll set that timer for 15, when it dings, you're done. She can choose if she'd rather do it in the morning, right when she get home, or after playing a bit, or after dinner, but she's gonna have to do it.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 3:00 pm
She needs a break. I'm a big believer in kids getting a break over the summer, particularly kids who work hard during the year in school, struggle to keep up. It will only make next year harder if you push learning over the summer, particularly if she is resistant to it.

The only thing I'd do for multiplication tables is get her a fun toy that will have her practicing it on her own, with no pushing. For example, I bought my oldest DD (who just graduated high school) a toy by leapfrog called the Twist 'n' Shout Multiplication - I just saw them on ebay for around $10. It had some fun computerized quizzing and my DD used to play with it in the car. I also had the one for addition/subtraction. It saved my life with DD, I don't know how she would've done multiplication without it. It reminds me of the "speak 'n' math", "speak 'n' spell" games I played with as a young child - don't think those exist anymore.....

Hatzlacha!

BayMom

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 3:11 pm
Bribe her.

aqua1

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 3:29 pm
Does the school give any summer homework?

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 3:36 pm
Its a tough position. She definitely needs a break but at the same time she will forget the skills if she does not review. My father teaches elementary school and he says you can definitely tell which kids reviewed in the summer or not. I think you should definitely practice with her over the summer but either through an educational game or toy or a reward system. She has to enjoy her summer and can't resent doing the work or it will backfire.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 3:36 pm
I worked for a children's software company that created educational programs. They were really fun and math especially were like games.

Leapfrog is a very popular children's toy that has many learning programs and kids love it.

I would bet use she would have no issues playing the games.

HappytoHS

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 3:37 pm
I wouldn't push. It sounds like this break is well-earned. Also, the brain needs some "white space" to process what it has learned.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 3:43 pm
If she doesn't have a diagnosed learning disability then her brain won't completely wipe out all her skills over the summer. Leave her alone but be prepared to work harder at the start of the school year. I doubt she'll forget completely; she will most likely need a good refresher for the first few weeks of school to stay on grade level.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 4:24 pm
just incorporate multiplication into life. bake with her and have her figure out the measurements for a triple recipe. things like that. she'll be ok.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 4:46 pm
Amarante wrote:
I worked for a children's software company that created educational programs. They were really fun and math especially were like games.

Leapfrog is a very popular children's toy that has many learning programs and kids love it.

I would bet use she would have no issues playing the games.

I'm in a similar boat to OP. Do you have any recommendations for a fun math app game that can be played on a cell phone device?

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 5:13 pm
My mom was a math teacher and math tutor, I also used to work as a math tutor in my university days. My mom's theory was always to give the kid a break for 1 whole month, then do tutoring the last month of the summer. I saw it work nicely with a lot of kids -the break was crucial, but building up their skills before the start of the school year was crucial too.

Also, I totally agree with bribing the kid to do the tutoring the second month of summer if they are resistant - do charting. Charting is having them earn a sticker or mark for each session, and they can get something after x number of stickers/marks. I think it's better for this scenario than giving them a bribe directly each time they do it.

RachaelLeah

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 5:19 pm
Xtramath.com is a great online flashcard program for basic addition subtraction, multiplication, and division facts.

Miri7

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 7:46 pm
I have forgotten the name of the program, but my DS sounds similar to your DD and he played a video game on the computer that was really multiplication drills. He liked it because he felt like he was getting to play a video game which we otherwise mostly do not allow. I will post again if I remember the name.

sky

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 10:45 pm
The Summer after 3rd grade my son forgot every single multiplication table we had spent the year memorizing.
It was aggravating.

He just finished 4th grade - we worked again on it so hard.

this summer we are working on a reward system, and I spoke to the English principal who said he will test him and give a reward as well. Just hope we can keep it up all summer. [He is doing 5 minute timed tests, just trying to do as many problems possible in that time, about 3 days a week. Prize is weekly]

(We are also doing similarly with reading...I feel bad pushing the work - but losing the skills is even worse)

momtra

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 10:52 pm
Yes, I think you should push her.
My kids struggle somewhat in school - I set up a major incentive program for them and it's working - my 5th grader just 20 minutes a day, my 3rd grader does 12 minutes a day. They choose from math, reading, writing, Kriah or Chumash.
12-20 minutes a day is enough for retention, and still leaves many hours for summer fun!

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 11:05 pm
I agree with the poster that said let her rest the first half and review the second half of the summer.
IMO
Let her play a multiplication game daily 10 min.
Read daily 15 min

The most important is to do it daily, instead of cramming it in 1x a week.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 12:59 pm
My school does give summer homework which we mostly try to do. I also try to do reading on my own with one of my children who is very weak academically. She gets a special treat - once a week for this. (A pizza bagel at Bagel Nosh or similar)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics