Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Speech therapy 4 yr old

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 1:37 pm
My 4 YO daughters teacher suggested I have her evaluated for speech and occupational therapy. Her vocab is fine but she has some problems with articulation (as well as pencil grip/ cutting skills). I'm nervous to start the whole process with the board of Ed as it seems very overwhelming with tons of testing from psychologists and others. Anyone have any experience with this? Her school works with omni. Not sure what to do... Don't want to start with all this if its something she'll grow out of
Thanks in advance!

flowerpower

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 3:56 pm
My daughter has articulation issues as well. Until age five the process is not hard at all. I did it through an amazing agency. They did all evals in the school besides for the hearing test. I think you should go for it. Better to fix it now than later on when she is much older. If you live in Brooklyn pm me for the name if you want.

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 4:02 pm
I started OT when my son was 4 turning 5 and I wish I had done it earlier. We use the local Children;s hospital and go after school. They did an eval and determined he was a good candidate. No drama what so ever. My insurance pays for it.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 4:07 pm
flowerpower wrote:
My daughter has articulation issues as well. Until age five the process is not hard at all. I did it through an amazing agency. They did all evals in the school besides for the hearing test. I think you should go for it. Better to fix it now than later on when she is much older. If you live in Brooklyn pm me for the name if you want.

I'm in Brooklyn but her school only works with omni unfortunately
How old is your daughter? When did she start therapy?
I'm actually taking mine to the dr today for a hearing test before I go through the evaluation process...

flowerpower

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 4:14 pm
amother wrote:
I'm in Brooklyn but her school only works with omni unfortunately
How old is your daughter? When did she start therapy?
I'm actually taking mine to the dr today for a hearing test before I go through the evaluation process...

She was 4. She started therapy at age 5 though. This agency just does all the evals. Then they send it over to the agency the school deals with - once she gets approved.

cnc

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 6:55 pm
Do it now before she turns five.
Once she turns five its much more difficult to get approved for services.

naomi2

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 9:45 pm
do it before she turns five.
it's not a big deal at all just call the agency and they will take it from there. they do this all day every day and they will take care of everything.
I want to point out that if the teacher is recommending it you should probably take it seriously. she works with children all day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers