Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
If global warming is true...
1  2  Next

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Nov 02 2016, 1:48 pm
Then why aren't its proponents seriously making major efforts to develop contingency plans to mitigate the disaster GW is supposed to cause? E.G If you really believe that in you or your children's lifetime all the major cities of the world will be underwater then why are there no concrete plans to build sea sustaining walls around them to avoid this disaster?

It has been noted elsewhere that the hypocrisy of those who lead the global warming campaigns is a major reason they aren't taken seriously and have so little influence on people. E.G if you fly on a private jet you really aren't in the position to lecture or try to force others to stop using plastic bags.

The lack of plans to ward off the disaster (if it can't be avoided) by global warming conferences is another thing that makes me skeptical. The attendees at these conferences have a lot more ability to make contingency plans than they have the ability to stop global warming. Why so much more focus on the former then the latter?

gp2.0

Post Wed, Nov 02 2016, 2:01 pm
http://www.nyc.gov/html/planyc.....shtml

http://www.rollingstone.com/po.....60705

https://www.nycgovparks.org/pl.....iency

So...now that you know that NYC will be building a $3 billion seawall are you less skeptical?

imasinger

Post Wed, Nov 02 2016, 2:02 pm
Starting with your original assumption...

From Wikipedia:

Quote:

Main article: Adaptation to global warming
Other policy responses include adaptation to climate change. Adaptation to climate change may be planned, either in reaction to or anticipation of climate change, or spontaneous, I.e., without government intervention. Planned adaptation is already occurring on a limited basis. The barriers, limits, and costs of future adaptation are not fully understood.

A concept related to adaptation is adaptive capacity, which is the ability of a system (human, natural or managed) to adjust to climate change (including climate variability and extremes) to moderate potential damages, to take advantage of opportunities, or to cope with consequences. Unmitigated climate change (I.e., future climate change without efforts to limit greenhouse gas emissions) would, in the long term, be likely to exceed the capacity of natural, managed and human systems to adapt.

To summarize, 1) there's a limit to what we can do (maybe a seawall won't be strong enough to hold the amount of water).

And 2), and it appears to be more effective to limit the ways we are warming the planet than to try to plan for something we don't know exactly how it will be (maybe you build a wall in one place, and the water only actually floods only up to a half mile away).

None of which mitigates hypocrisy.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Nov 02 2016, 2:13 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/planyc/html/resiliency/resiliency.shtml

http://www.rollingstone.com/po.....60705

https://www.nycgovparks.org/pl.....iency

So...now that you know that NYC will be building a $3 billion seawall are you less skeptical?

No. Aside from the vagueness of the plans a lot of it is in response to Sandy not only due to global warming concerns.

And of course a uber liberal place like NYC is going to claim to take GW seriously and will have no problem spending enormous amounts of money to show it. But when the former mayor , a major proponent of global warming, flies on a private jet and leaves his own car idling for hours it hard for me to take his initiatives like tax plastic bags as being well intentioned. And when the city council after his term does pass plastic bag tax laws but of course exempts their friends on food stamps rather than offering free reusable bags to food stamp recipients my skepticism is reinforced.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Nov 02 2016, 2:22 pm
imasinger wrote:
Starting with your original assumption...

From Wikipedia:

Quote:

Main article: Adaptation to global warming
Other policy responses include adaptation to climate change. Adaptation to climate change may be planned, either in reaction to or anticipation of climate change, or spontaneous, I.e., without government intervention. Planned adaptation is already occurring on a limited basis. The barriers, limits, and costs of future adaptation are not fully understood.

A concept related to adaptation is adaptive capacity, which is the ability of a system (human, natural or managed) to adjust to climate change (including climate variability and extremes) to moderate potential damages, to take advantage of opportunities, or to cope with consequences. Unmitigated climate change (I.e., future climate change without efforts to limit greenhouse gas emissions) would, in the long term, be likely to exceed the capacity of natural, managed and human systems to adapt.

To summarize, 1) there's a limit to what we can do (maybe a seawall won't be strong enough to hold the amount of water).

And 2), and it appears to be more effective to limit the ways we are warming the planet than to try to plan for something we don't know exactly how it will be (maybe you build a wall in one place, and the water only actually floods only up to a half mile away).

None of which mitigates hypocrisy.

"There is a limit to what we can do" is an ironic argument because that is what those who want to ignore global warming also say

to try to plan for something we don't know exactly how it will be

That is my point. Their admitted lack of knowledge of what will be fuels my skepticism.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Nov 02 2016, 2:28 pm
amother wrote:
No. Aside from the vagueness of the plans a lot of it is in response to Sandy not only due to global warming concerns.

And of course a uber liberal place like NYC is going to claim to take GW seriously. But when the former mayor , a major proponent of global warming, flies on a private jet and leaves his own car idling for hours it hard for me to take his initiatives like tax plastic bags as being well intentioned. And when the city council after his term does pass plastic bag tax law but of course exempts their friends on food stamps rather then offering free reusable bags to food stamp recipients my skepticism is reinforced.

Lol. I was betting you'd say this.

But what does A - a rich dude who likes his private plane - have to do with B - scientists who have studied this carefully?

Meaning, why does the hypocrisy of a few people deligitimize scientific findings?

We're all human. We all make mistakes. More importantly, many of us find it difficult to prepare for hypothetical situations, especially if there's no proof or if the proof is a little too complicated for laymen to understand. Our inability to comprehend that our actions have larger effects than we can immediately see is what got us into this situation in the first place.

Google the Cascadia Subduction Zone earthquake to find out about another potential massive disaster that is only theoretical at this point, but the government is taking it VERY seriously.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Nov 02 2016, 2:57 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Lol. I was betting you'd say this.

But what does A - a rich dude who likes his private plane - have to do with B - scientists who have studied this carefully?

Meaning, why does the hypocrisy of a few people deligitimize scientific findings?

For two reasons

(1)The scientists for their part can easily sell me whatever bridge they want in this area. They know I have no way of verifying or evaluating what they say. And that they will never have to prove their claims in real life. So when even the people who scream about how we have to take them seriously do not do so in their own lives, it makes me question how compelling of an argument they are offering to anyone.

(2)The scientists predicting global warming should also be seriously working on how to deal with global warming (even hypothetically)And those who believe them should be begging them to.Not just trying to control other peoples behavior.Which leads me to question them and their motives.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Nov 02 2016, 3:46 pm
Anyway. In your OP you wrote that building a seawall would be enough to convince you of the legitimacy of climate change. When supplied with the fact that a seawall is being built, you changed your mind and decided it's not sufficient proof after all. So...

agreer

Post Wed, Nov 02 2016, 4:26 pm
global warming isn't true.. they changed the name to "climate change"

rainbow dash

Post Wed, Nov 02 2016, 5:35 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90CkXVF-Q8M

leo made this movie and its free to watch on you tube

Sadie

Post Wed, Nov 02 2016, 5:58 pm
agreer wrote:
global warming isn't true.. they changed the name to "climate change"

They had to, because dummies kept saying things like "if global warming is true how come it's cold outside?"

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Nov 02 2016, 11:11 pm
btw, the US is actually well behind many other first world countries in terms of dealing with climate change. It is definitely being taken seriously by most.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 11:33 am
rainbow dash wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90CkXVF-Q8M

leo made this movie and its free to watch on you tube

Thanks for this. What a great movie! And such a powerful message. I want to go out right now and get solar panels for my house. If only they weren't so expensive.

tryinghard

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 11:41 am
Sadie wrote:
They had to, because dummies kept saying things like "if global warming is true how come it's cold outside?"

Actually, they had to, because global climate data has demonstrated no warming whatsoever. Oops. Plus, "global warming" got a bad name when it came out that climate "scientists" fabricated a lot of their alarmist data. IOW, it was exposed as a hoax, so we have moved on to the more vague "climate change".

gp2.0

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 12:17 pm
tryinghard wrote:
Actually, they had to, because global climate data has demonstrated no warming whatsoever. Oops. Plus, "global warming" got a bad name when it came out that climate "scientists" fabricated a lot of their alarmist data. IOW, it was exposed as a hoax, so we have moved on to the more vague "climate change".

So if global warming is a hoax, why are the glaciers melting? Care to provide an alternate theory?

Sadie

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 12:19 pm
tryinghard wrote:

Okay you've convinced me. I'll believe you instead of all those scientists.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 1:30 pm
amother wrote:
btw, the US is actually well behind many other first world countries in terms of dealing with climate change. .

The US is well behind many countries in many ways. I recently met with some overseas businesspeople planning to expand into the US and wanting info about certain regulatory requirements applicable to their industry. I was deeply embarrassed every time they said "in our country we're required to do this and this" and I had to respond "of course we strongly encourage this and this but there is no such requirement currently on the books." To save face for Uncle Sam, I'd add " But similar regulations are in the pipeline, so if you implement your existing policies in your US sites, you will already be in compliance when those regs go into effect." If they ever do, she muttered to herself.

Mistameh nobody was fooled, but we must each do our part in defending the honor of the red, white and blue.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 1:31 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
So if global warming is a hoax, why are the glaciers melting?

Masses of hot air produced by Donald Trump.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 1:54 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Google the Cascadia Subduction Zone earthquake to find out about another potential massive disaster that is only theoretical at this point, but the government is taking it VERY seriously.

Snipped for brevity. I live in the CSZ, we are treating it very seriously here.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 2:07 pm
zaq wrote:
Masses of hot air produced by Donald Trump.
Rolling Laughter
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics