Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is it fitting?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 5:58 pm
debsey wrote:
Doing honest work for honest pay is never degrading. Anyone who thinks so needs to reexamine their priorities.

Exactly!!

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 6:00 pm
debsey wrote:
Doing honest work for honest pay is never degrading. Anyone who thinks so needs to reexamine their priorities.

Thumbs Up

I come from a community where no one would dream of doing physical/blue collar work. People would rather be on food stamps than "degrading" themselves.

At one point I had a lot of chassidish men as clients, and I was so impressed with their attitude. There were plumbers, butchers, painters, etc. And they were all supporting their families honorably, upstanding members of their community, and had their heads held high. It would be so beneficial if all of society had this perception. If you do what you need to do to earn an honest living - you've earned my respect.

sequoia

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 6:02 pm
http://www.robertburns.org/works/496.shtml

debsey

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 6:05 pm
sequoia wrote:
http://www.robertburns.org/works/496.shtml

exactly. (sequoia, you need to rethink your whole HS teaching goal. You'd be amazing teaching literature at the undergrad level)

sequoia

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 6:07 pm
debsey wrote:
exactly. (sequoia, you need to rethink your whole HS teaching goal. You'd be amazing teaching literature at the undergrad level)

Ice cream Cheers ❤️👍

debsey

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 6:07 pm
OP, if you want to put a more posh spin on the job call yourself a "professional organizer" and emphasize how the holidays are a perfect time to reorganize and deep clean, while the regular cleaners are off.

Professional organizer is considered a "high class" job in Lakewood. (Mostly because Rechy Zolty's home organizing store is so elegant, if expensive)

Just say you're importing a concept from across the pond, and presto-chango- you have an upscale profession (but you'll still basically be cleaning and organizing).

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 6:22 pm
Whether it's fitting or not, I personally would feel uncomfortable having someone I know socially cleaning my bathrooms, folding my laundry, making my beds.... it's too personal. Need someone from a different social circle.

I wouldn't normally invite you into my bedroom/underwear drawer...

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 1:49 am
amother wrote:
Whether it's fitting or not, I personally would feel uncomfortable having someone I know socially cleaning my bathrooms, folding my laundry, making my beds.... it's too personal. Need someone from a different social circle.

I wouldn't normally invite you into my bedroom/underwear drawer...

Op here. People have a choice as to what they want me to do. This is how im going to advertise : Himishe household angle , a mother to mother helper. Services includes ironing, laundry folding, mopping, preparing meals and more. Just call xxxxxxx. Charge £10 p/h.( $12.41)
Is this ok?

chanchy123

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 2:47 am
amother wrote:
I agree with the other poster.
But don't be surprised if no one in the frum community hires you, because there is an Inyan not give another Jew that type of job.
I would be ok being a cleaner, but not ok working in that type of job for a non Jew. Especially in the anti semetic world we live in
Is there a Jewish Federation of some sort in the UK, perhaps they have a job bank and can help you find employment. Perhaps you can do janitorial work in a girls school.

What could possibly be wrong with giving a fellow Jew that type of job?

On the contrary, we learn that it is better to give a Jew a job with a salary than to just hand him money.

I am so happy I do not live in that kind of community that prefers the appearance of respectability over respectable employment.

How terrible. What other jobs are not proper for Jews to carry out in your community?

Last edited by chanchy123 on Tue, Nov 29 2016, 3:05 am; edited 1 time in total

chanchy123

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 3:04 am
amother wrote:
Op here. People have a choice as to what they want me to do. This is how im going to advertise : Himishe household angle , a mother to mother helper. Services includes ironing, laundry folding, mopping, preparing meals and more. Just call xxxxxxx. Charge £10 p/h.( $12.41)
Is this ok?

To me this sounds great, I have no idea if the price is fair in your community. But it does sound really good, I agree that you should try to publish the ad in the wider Jewish community rather than only in your circle.

I wish you luck. Hope this works out for you.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 3:15 am
chanchy123 wrote:
To me this sounds great, I have no idea if the price is fair in your community. But it does sound really good, I agree that you should try to publish the ad in the wider Jewish community rather than only in your circle.

I wish you luck. Hope this works out for you.

Op here. The non jews charge abt 8 an hr. I can charge more one of the mothers said?!

sped

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 3:17 am
Rather than mopping would you write "basic household cleaning" or "Light household cleaning". I also like the idea of organizing, if you would be good at that. I know someone here who does that as a profession and she is great at it.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 3:17 am
amother wrote:
Op here. The non jews charge abt 8 an hr. I can charge more one of the mothers said?!

I honestly have no idea. I live in Israel - it just doesn't work that way here.

sped

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 4:21 am
Here in Israel I had a few frum people helping me with cleaning. It was so nice not to have to worry about kashrus in the kitchen, what my kids were exposed to and to feel really comfortable.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 4:42 am
sped wrote:
Rather than mopping would you write "basic household cleaning" or "Light household cleaning". I also like the idea of organizing, if you would be good at that. I know someone here who does that as a profession and she is great at it.

Oups I already wrote mopping. Smile. Im sending out papers though the door

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 4:52 am
amother wrote:
I agree with the other poster.
But don't be surprised if no one in the frum community hires you, because there is an Inyan not give another Jew that type of job.
I would be ok being a cleaner, but not ok working in that type of job for a non Jew. Especially in the anti semetic world we live in
Is there a Jewish Federation of some sort in the UK, perhaps they have a job bank and can help you find employment. Perhaps you can do janitorial work in a girls school.
I am sorry, but you are pashut wrong on that. It does not say that anywhere. And what of all of teh frum Jews here in Eretz Yisrael who are cleaners? They are working and supporting themselves with "that type of job", whatever the heck that means.

If one needs money no job should ever be beneath you.
And some enjoy cleaning other people's homes. I know of two such people.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 4:55 am
amother wrote:
Why do you think you can charge more than a non jew? And why do you think someone will hire you for more money either? Being jewish doesnt make one want to pay someone more Confused

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 5:01 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Why do you think you can charge more than a non jew? And why do you think someone will hire you for more money either? Being jewish doesnt make one want to pay someone more Confused

Actually in insular communities there are people who are willing to pay more for someone who's frum, because they feel like they can trust them more, they dress modestly, and don't have to worry about treifing the kitchen.

Not saying I agree with it - I think people should be paid based on merit, but I do know people with this rationale.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 5:02 am
amother wrote:

Are you better enough for it to be worth paying the extra 2?
If you could work quicker thoroughly and well, you I'll do better.

No one wants to pay more for longer and less to show for it.

Raisin

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 5:55 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

I would expect to pay a lot more to a native english speaker. Most cleaners speak very poor english.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics