Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Birth certificate nickname

amother
Purple

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 11:12 pm
What are your thoughts on putting your child's nickname on a birth certificate? This is especially true if their given (Hebrew) name is a long one, and the nickname can still be considered a name in itself..
Example: rephael and rafi.

On a separate note, if you really liked a long name but you happen to have a long last name, would you still use the name? (Then the poor child would have a long first AND last name!)

essie14

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 11:55 pm
I would put the name that will make life the easiest for my child. That is literally the only purpose to the birth certificate name.
The world doesn't care that when your son gets called up to the Torah he is called Refael. If everyone will call him Rafi, let his birth certificate say rafi.
My parents felt the need to put my two middle names on my birth certificate along with my first name so all my legal documents have three first names and it's a huge pain in the neck. My mom said she thought she had to. (??)

You can name your kid John and call him yanky. It doesn't matter.

fiji

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 12:39 am
I put whatever names easiest for the child. I have a child with two names, and we call him by both, but we only put the first, easier to say name on the Birth certificate. We did give him a middle initial from the second name, but most places dont ask for it...

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 12:42 am
I put an English name on each of my childrens birth certificate. It doesn't have that much to do with their Hebrew name, and they are rarely called by it.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 6:30 am
I put all the names I give. 3 names is the norm for me.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 7:29 am
I believe in full names, even if they are long. One of my kids has a long name that we thought at the time we would shorten, but ended up using the whole thing. Another kid, we discussed shorten it, but in 3rd grade, the child decided to stop using the nickname (felt his full name was more grown up) and use the whole name. If we had nicknamed the birth certificate, he would have to write his nickname for the rest of his life, even though he didn't like it and had a perfectly good full name to use.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 8:04 am
Everyone can do what they like. I gave either a short nickname that they were being called or an English name.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 9:05 am
amother wrote:
I believe in full names, even if they are long. One of my kids has a long name that we thought at the time we would shorten, but ended up using the whole thing. Another kid, we discussed shorten it, but in 3rd grade, the child decided to stop using the nickname (felt his full name was more grown up) and use the whole name. If we had nicknamed the birth certificate, he would have to write his nickname for the rest of his life, even though he didn't like it and had a perfectly good full name to use.

This is a good point. Thanks. Hopefully our child will forgive us for the long name Wink.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 9:39 am
My friend taught me to give the full Hebrew name as the legal name too because she had so many complications with bank accounts, transcripts, when making aliyah and when trying to get American citizenship for her kids born in Israel.
Her parents had given her a double Hebrew name and double English name but everyone calls her by a nickname - for example, Rivka Chana, Rebbeca Hannah and Rivi.
So I give my kids a Hebrew name (or two) and that's their name on everything. It makes things much simpler.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names