Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Would be ok with dh becoming an obgyn?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

jade

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 12:05 pm
My husband is an ob-gyn and I never had any problem with that. Got married before he started his residency. For him, it was the bringing of new life into the world, plus he likes the mix of surgical practice and seeing patients in the office. Since he works for a large organization, his hours are fairly reasonable. Honestly, I like that he is doing something of clear and immediate use to other people. There are several generally respected and profitable occupations that I consider far less "clean."

dimyona

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 12:21 pm
amother wrote:
I totally wouldnt care!

(two close relatives of mine are ob/gyns, both have checked me before)

Also my ob/gyn is my close friends husband- I doubt she has a problem with it.

Docs are professionals and should separate private life from work OBVIOUSLY

That's a lot of ob/gyns in your life!

Are you really ok with spreading your legs in front of your friends husband? I know there's nothing s-xual about a doctor visit, but there's gotta be *some* discomfort in that scenario!

And family sounds possibly even more awkward.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 12:45 pm
It would be a issue of concern but I wouldn't not allow my husband to be a OB-GYN under any circumstances. Another issue I would have with it is if he can view women all day and not be zexually interested how could he be interested in me when he comes home?

Reesa

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 1:13 pm
obgyns are human so they will obviously have some feelings sometimes that are not in their control. They may act professional but you have no idea what goes through their heads at any given moment.

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 1:19 pm
amother wrote:
It would be a issue of concern but I wouldn't not allow my husband to be a OB-GYN under any circumstances. Another issue I would have with it is if he can view women all day and not be zexually interested how could he be interested in me when he comes home?

I read a book in the sixties written by a man on his journey to becoming a Dr, and he was concerned about the same thing. He looked at women clinically. He mentioned an incident in the book when a stripper came in topless with a broken wrist, and all the Drs crowded around her.

Basically, if when they saw a breast incident to treatment, it was looked at clinically. If it was a totally unnecessary flaunting of a breast, they reacted in a zexual way.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 1:21 pm
My mom worked with 2 gay OB GYNs.

Reesa

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 1:30 pm
ectomorph wrote:
My mom worked with 2 gay OB GYNs.

if I knew my ob was gay it would be a little better but hopefully our husbands aren't gay;)

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 1:45 pm
No-
But then I started using midwives partially bec I stopped buying the idea that men can "switch" to professional mode-at least in their thoughts. This is a modern idea.
That doesn't mean I don't think any have good intentions. But the white coat just isn't enough of a geder in my opinion.
Of course in emergency is different.

Fox

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 1:55 pm
My only qualm would be that my DH would be a lot less sympathetic to routine pregnancy complaints!

Gerbera

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 2:00 pm
Not sure why your OB is feeling your breasts as one poster mentioned. So odd. I have six kids ka"H and have never had my OB do a pelvic exam or touch my breasts. The nurse weighs me and measures my stomach at appointments. He actually never really touches me. When I'm in labour the nurses have done the pelvic exams and the OB shows up when you're ready to push. I would be totally fine with my husband being an OB/GYN. Oh and I see my family doctor for post partum visits and pap smear. My OB doesn't do them.

I don't really get it....so if a man cant help but get "switched on" when it comes to women....wouldn't plastic surgery be an issue or what about a dentist? Or any specialty involving touching women. Not all men are riding high on hormones and can't maintain self control and just have eyes for their wife whom they love.

I'm not sure how a women dilated at ten cm and pushing is gonna turn a guy on....I personally have always used a male OB. My doctor has never delivered any of my kids and was really not bothered by a maletter delivering the baby. By that point I honestly couldn't care less!

Are ppl perhaps not feeling secure in their relationship or have trust issues? Cause then it probably wouldn't matter what occupation your husband had.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 2:07 pm
amother wrote:
NO NO AND NO!
That my husband's job is to look in women's v@ginas and feel their breasts?? No....

I'm kinda squeed out at rabbis looking at womens dirty underwear.

Reesa

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 2:07 pm
I see my ob many times other than when dilated 10. There are many women who have to be seen tens of times throughout their pregnancy and after. And many women have flirty personalities and or are beautiful. Maybe your ob doesn't do breast exams but mine does.
There have been stories of inappropriate obgyns losing their licenses, so although I believe most will act professionally, I still maintain my doubt as to what's really going through their heads.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 2:12 pm
Gerbera wrote:
Not sure why your OB is feeling your breasts as one poster mentioned. So odd. I have six kids ka"H and have never had my OB do a pelvic exam or touch my breasts. The nurse weighs me and measures my stomach at appointments. He actually never really touches me. When I'm in labour the nurses have done the pelvic exams and the OB shows up when you're ready to push. I would be totally fine with my husband being an OB/GYN. Oh and I see my family doctor for post partum visits and pap smear. My OB doesn't do them.

From the fact that you wrote labour with a u I take it youre not in the states, but here in the US, once a year, or at the beginning of pregnancy, its all clothes off so dr can examine your privates. And yes, it would freak me out for dh to be a ob-gyn.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 2:18 pm
amother wrote:
From the fact that you wrote labour with a u I take it youre not in the states, but here in the US, once a year, or at the beginning of pregnancy, its all clothes off so dr can examine your privates. And yes, it would freak me out for dh to be a ob-gyn.

That doesn't hold true for all OBs here in the states. It may be a practice of your OB, but it certainly doesn't speak to the practices of all of the OBs here. FWIW I've never had an internal by my OB, pregnant or not, nor has there been a need for me to be naked.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 3:57 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
That doesn't hold true for all OBs here in the states. It may be a practice of your OB, but it certainly doesn't speak to the practices of all of the OBs here. FWIW I've never had an internal by my OB, pregnant or not, nor has there been a need for me to be naked.

Ime in NY, you're given a paper gown to wear at the first visit for a full exam, including breast exam and pelvic / pap smear, performed by my OB. As are the early vaginal ultrasounds. And if the dr has reason to want to check how dilated you are later on in pregnancy, that's a pelvic performed by her as well.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 3:58 pm
Don't all OBs do pap smears or do you just skip that?

And my OB does a breast exam at my yearly appt.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 4:21 pm
Gerbera wrote:

I don't really get it....so if a man cant help but get "switched on" when it comes to women....wouldn't plastic surgery be an issue or what about a dentist? Or any specialty involving touching women. Not all men are riding high on hormones and can't maintain self control and just have eyes for their wife whom they love.

I'm not sure how a women dilated at ten cm and pushing is gonna turn a guy on....I personally have always used a male OB. My doctor has never delivered any of my kids and was really not bothered by a maletter delivering the baby. By that point I honestly couldn't care less!

Are ppl perhaps not feeling secure in their relationship or have trust issues? Cause then it probably wouldn't matter what occupation your husband had.

My ob does a full exam once a year and that includes touching my breasts to look for any lumps or anything else that's wrong. I actually had it that I was feeling a weird sensation for a while and mentioned it at my next exam and he checked it out while touching it all over. I wouldn't want my husband doing it to other women

agreer

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 5:20 pm
If he made a ton of money, it would not bother me in the least.

I love my male OBGYN. He's sooooooo kind.

I would be honored to have a husband who works hard to bring babies into the world and help women live healthy lives.

ora_43

Post Tue, Apr 11 2017, 4:15 pm
amother wrote:
Dh is a doctor (not an OB-GYN). Here's his take: He is surprised by the attitude that it is weird for a man to go into this specialty. He says that it is primarily a surgical specialty, and if these men have a fascination with seeing women's reproductive organs, it is through the abdominal wall. Pelvic exams are just something that has to be done. As with proctology and urology, it is a much misunderstood profession that is completely matter-of-fact to the people actually doing it (except for being present at childbirth - the OBs I know say it never gets old). So no, I would not have a problem with it.

ITA with this.

OK, maybe an OB/GYN spends like 0.01% of his time seeing attractive women's s-xual organs... But who on earth would be dumb enough to choose the job just for that? or even partly for that? When the other 99.99% is surgery, childbirth, random (non-attractive) strangers' s-xual organs...

If a man wants to see an attractive lady's v@gina, he can look at pictures online. It would take like two seconds. I can't believe anyone smart enough to be a doctor wouldn't realize that. (And if he wants to actually touch an attractive stranger - there are still much easier ways than med school.)

So if a man wants to be an OB/GYN, I can only assume he has a professional interest in that field of medicine. The people I know in the field like it for the mix of surgery and not-surgery, which sounds reasonable enough to me.

If my dh wanted to become an OB/GYN now, I'd be furious. But only at the "hey remember how hard it was doing our degrees? yeah, I want to go back to that, but for another like seven years, that's cool right?" part, not the "seeing people nekkid" part.

Water Stones

Post Tue, Apr 11 2017, 8:03 pm
It wouldn't bother me.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics