Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Sfira, chumra? Halacha?

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 12:31 am
What exactly are the laws of sfira? May inwear a new sweater? The skirt is old, just the sweater is new? Its not a gull new outfit shock

Rutabaga

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 12:35 am
Can you wait until Lag B'omer? It's just a few days away.

I have a vague memory of learning that you can wear something new lekavod Shabbos and then wear it on a weekday.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 12:38 am
That defeats it already... I wanted to wear it tomo.. if I wear it shabbos, sunday is already anyhow lag bomer

juggling

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 12:46 am
I'm sure there could be different practices. But I definitely learned that there is no issue of shehecheyanu during sefira. It isn't the three weeks.

Iymnok

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 1:14 am
We try to avoid shehechiyanu. But we buy and wear new clothes. We don't say shehechiyanu on all clothing, just what's expensive or makes us happy.

water_bear88

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 1:46 am
If you were planning to wear it for an interview and you don't have anything equally suitable, maybe there's grounds for parnassa? Otherwise, why not wait till Sunday?

essie14

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 2:40 am
I have always learned that new clothes are not forbidden during sefira. AYLOR if you think this is not your minhag. The only things forbidden during sefira is getting married and cutting the hair on your head (and shaving beard for men). Listening to music came from the wedding prohibition.

It is not the same aveilut as the 3 weeks.

salt

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 2:42 am
I believe you're confusing the 3 Weeks to Sefirat Ha'omer. I think you can wear new clothes in sefirat haomer.

It would all be written in the Shulchan Aruch though Smile

doctorima

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 10:05 am
I'm not a Rav to pasken, but I learned that this is a common misconception not to make shechiyanu during sefirah, and that that idea only applies during the 3 weeks. Unless your family has a clear and specific minhag not to do so, it should be okay. Additionally, I don't know that a new sweater brings enough joy to warrant shehechiyanu at any time during the year. But ask your LOR to be sure and feel more confident about it.

water_bear88

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 11:16 am
Just looked it up online (found the opinion of Harav Eliyahu zt"l) and I guess it's a minhag my family keeps but nowhere near universal among Ashkenazim. If it is your minhag, and you need the sweater, AYLOR. If you don't know your minhag and can't ask family I guess also AYLOR.

zaq

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 11:52 am
Check out the OU archives of Halacha Yomit for sefirah. There is no issur on new clothing.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 11:55 am
Do people actually make shehechayanu on clothing?
I've never really heard of that.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 12:06 pm
There was once a Rabbi that his chasid bought him a new jacket in sfira and he did not put it on until lag beomer.
We buy new clothes and make weddings until rosh chodesh and don't buy things until after shavuos.
(Minhag Lita not Litvish)
The world accepted minhag is not to buy or 'baney' a new outfit during sfira but I do see people finding heterim. My friends have told me about the mix up between three weeks and sfira. Ask a rav there are too many minhags out there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions