Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How do you afford tuition?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Denim

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 8:54 pm
We have 5 kids in school/cheder/yeshiva and we simply cannot afford close to what they are asking. How does anyone manage? My husband is working two jobs and I freelance and have two kids at home all day. Yeshiva alone is $700/month, for my girls they want $800/month and about the same for the boys. My husband is constantly getting threatening texts/calls that they will throw the girls out if we cannot pay up. We are drowning and it is taking such an emotional toll on my husband especially. We make too much money (BH!) to be on food stamps, section 8, etc., but not enough to afford tuition. We live in a small apt. and don't do anything luxurious. Is anyone else out there in such a situation? Are there any answers?

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 8:55 pm
Following

Webbgirl

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 9:07 pm

It depends on what state you live in, family size and income. There are different programs out there. You might want to contact your local Jewish Federation, talk with the school about any financial aide they provide, often they have their own forms to fill out and will help you with your tuition. I have had great success with school tuition and summer camp tuition. Good luck and let me know if I can help further.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 9:11 pm
Following also.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 9:44 pm
Its crazy. There are 2 parent families that are literally working themselves to the bone and unable to do more and just cannot make it.
Some suggestions (might not work for you, but something to think about...)
Can u move out of town? Maybe smaller established communities are better about tuition scholarships?
Might also help for dh to CUT his hours... that way you're not 'making too much' and become eligible for food stamps etc and then you might get more of a discount! Its a double edged sword... but it doesn't have to be forever...

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 9:50 pm
Our rent is more than our tuition, so in this I feel more of a rent crisis than a tuition crisis. I feel like we get more out of the tuition money than the rent.

I'm assuming you've tried talking to the schools about what you can afford?

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 9:53 pm
Tuitions is so expensive but it's a priority so we pay it and then worry about how to pay for everything else. Yes, it's more than a little frustrating that we earn a good income and still more than half our earnings go right to tuition. Since the only solution I know of is public school or homeschool, and neither appeal to me, we keep shelling out the cash.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 10:06 pm
We used to prioritize tuition over everything else. Guess what...we foreclosed on our house and they still kicked my son out of cheder.
Be careful.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 10:10 pm
Webbgirl wrote:

It depends on what state you live in, family size and income. There are different programs out there. You might want to contact your local Jewish Federation, talk with the school about any financial aide they provide, often they have their own forms to fill out and will help you with your tuition. I have had great success with school tuition and summer camp tuition. Good luck and let me know if I can help further.

Thanks for your ideas.
The schools don't have anything to offer. They're in desperate need of money. I don't blame them for asking and needing our tuition, I just don't have that much!!
You've had luck with the Jewish Federation? How does that work?

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 10:11 pm
amother wrote:
We used to prioritize tuition over everything else. Guess what...we foreclosed on our house and they still kicked my son out of cheder.
Be careful.

And yet posters in the Yeshiva World Coffee Room insist this doesn't happen.

I'm sorry for you. I hope things are better now. How did you manage?

Webbgirl

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 10:27 pm
Thanks for your ideas.
The schools don't have anything to offer. They're in desperate need of money. I don't blame them for asking and needing our tuition, I just don't have that much!!

That is why it is important to know what state you live in. Call your local Federation and/or check out their website for scholarships. I currently have my calendar set to ring at 11:59pm on June 30th to make sure I go online and register my children for a scholarship. I did the same thing with summer camp..... the areas I live in have people that do charity events and raise money for tuition so that there are funds available, even if limited plus believe it or not if your school is a 501 C 3 not for profit, some people will actually donate for the tax write off.
I am sorry this is such an issue, with our responsibility to educate our children it is often stressful and difficult.

esther36

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 10:29 pm
I'm in the Same boat as u op!!! My DH thinks if we move out of town ( think Ohio) where there r school vouchers and tuition is totally free then we wouldn't have any financial difficulties. I cannot think about that as a solution as most of my family lives near each other and my parents aren't so young anymore and I wouldn't be able to handle being so far from home... I wish there was a simple solution! We both work two jobs and we owe thousands of dollars in tuition! The numbers don't add up!!! We don't eat out, go on vacation, buy new clothes every season, use hand-me-downs when I can and still can't make ends meet! I totally feel for u!!

amother
Denim

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 10:36 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
And yet posters in the Yeshiva World Coffee Room insist this doesn't happen.

I'm sorry for you. I hope things are better now. How did you manage?

Thanks. It was horrible. They did it right as my son was supposed to present a project he had been working on (he never got to do it) and right before a big trip. It was cruel for him and a nightmare for us. bH, we got him settled in a different place, which after some time was a much better match for us. Hashem has His ways.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 10:41 pm
Bit of advice: once you agree to a tuition amount, you owe it and they will make you pay it. Don't sign on anything you can't afford. Be more adamant about what you can afford before signing the tuition agreement. Also, half your income should not be going to tuition. The acceptable max is 20% devided fairly between all your kids schools.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 10:41 pm
Webbgirl wrote:
Thanks for your ideas.

That is why it is important to know what state you live in. Call your local Federation and/or check out their website for scholarships. I currently have my calendar set to ring at 11:59pm on June 30th to make sure I go online and register my children for a scholarship. I did the same thing with summer camp..... the areas I live in have people that do charity events and raise money for tuition so that there are funds available, even if limited plus believe it or not if your school is a 501 C 3 not for profit, some people will actually donate for the tax write off.
I am sorry this is such an issue, with our responsibility to educate our children it is often stressful and difficult.

You've posted this twice now and it's really bothering me. Yes you get a tax break when you donate to a 501C but you don't get back in a tax refund what you donate. You are 'out of pocket'.

We make donations because we have an obligation to, and beyond that, because its the right thing to do. We don't make donations to get a tax break.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 10:42 pm
esther36 wrote:
I'm in the Same boat as u op!!! My DH thinks if we move out of town ( think Ohio) where there r school vouchers and tuition is totally free then we wouldn't have any financial difficulties. I cannot think about that as a solution as most of my family lives near each other and my parents aren't so young anymore and I wouldn't be able to handle being so far from home... I wish there was a simple solution! We both work two jobs and we owe thousands of dollars in tuition! The numbers don't add up!!! We don't eat out, go on vacation, buy new clothes every season, use hand-me-downs when I can and still can't make ends meet! I totally feel for u!!

Thanks for the empathy, it sounds like you're going through the same thing. The numbers just don't add up. I just keep feeling like I'm missing some type of solution, because people seem to be making it somehow. I feel like my kids are the only ones not going to camp, getting the latest trendy clothing/toy, etc.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 10:43 pm
we send to a chassidishe mossed. you get what you pay for but tuition is in the 250-400/month range.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 10:51 pm
esther36 wrote:

My husband and I toy with that idea also every so often. Right now we are struggling with tuition for 2 kids (this is after the scholarships) & we still have a few that are home - don't know what we will do in a few years. It appeals to me somewhat, but like you said, it would be hard to move because of family.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 11:18 pm
amother wrote:
Bit of advice: once you agree to a tuition amount, you owe it and they will make you pay it. Don't sign on anything you can't afford. Be more adamant about what you can afford before signing the tuition agreement. Also, half your income should not be going to tuition. The acceptable max is 20% devided fairly between all your kids schools.

I have schools that refused to budge on the contract. I wrote a note on the contract as to the amount I can afford to pay and signed it.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 11:26 pm
amother wrote:

Sounds very nice in theory, but how about if they won't take your kids if you don't sign...
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics