Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Could Oprah Winfrey be the next President of the USA?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 4:55 pm
Boca00 wrote:
So I liked her until she publicly shamed Nancy in her audience and until she made a lewd comment to Katy Perry. Not so impressed with her character anymore.

I don’t know what incidents you are referring to so I don’t have an opinion.

Boca00

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 4:56 pm
amother wrote:
Huh?

Ellen set up free merchandise with a sign to pick one. She had hidden cameras waiting to see if anyone would take more than one.
Then she publicly shamed the lady who took more than one, playing the videos of her taking stuff, criticizing her and making her come up and sit on the stage in a ready-made jail chair.
Come on! You have to mortify this woman in front of approx 13 million people? And gosh she was vicious. Playing clips over and over of her.

She made a lewd comment to Katy Perry on her birthday (not something I can repeat here, but Google it if you are curious). If a guy said what she did, he'd probably lose his job. And since Ellen is not straight, it's essentially the same thing... But she got away with no repercussions.

Last edited by Boca00 on Tue, Jan 09 2018, 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 4:58 pm
Boca00 wrote:
She set up free merchandise with a sign to pick one. She had hidden cameras waiting to see if anyone would take more than one.
Then she publicly shamed the lady who took more than one, playing the videos of her taking stuff, criticizing her and making her come up and sit on the stage in a ready-made jail chair.
Come on! You have to mortify this woman in front of approx 13 million people? And gosh she was vicious. Playing clips over and over of her.

She made a lewd comment to Katy Perry on her birthday (not something I can repeat here, but Google it if you are curious). If a guy said what she did, he'd probably lose his job. And since Ellen is not straight, it's essentially the same thing... But she got away with no repercussions.

So you’re talking about Ellen, not Oprah?

Boca00

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 5:00 pm
amother wrote:
So you’re talking about Ellen, not Oprah?

Yes, I was commenting on mommy3b2c's remark about Ellen.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 5:02 pm
Squishy wrote:
Just because you know how to make money does not mean you know how to manage it. I thought she was an imbecile with her car giveaways. For a smart lady, she could have gotten some tax advice for her audience members. Ratings come first.

So glad you asked about that!

(1) The car giveaway happened once.

(2) It was actually a promotion by Pontiac, which handled all of the details.

(3) Audience members were well aware of the tax.

Quote:
A Harpo Spokeswomen reportedly said at the time that the winners had three choices: they could keep the car and pay the tax, sell the car and pay the tax, or refuse the car.

In later giveaways, that was taken care of.

Quote:
Oprah continued to host giveaways to audience members. In 2010, in honor of her 25th and final season, Oprah gave her entire audience an all expense paid trip to Australia. This time, she really meant all expenses - including taxes. A CPA was reportedly waiting in the wings to settle all of the tax issues associated with the trip.

Oprah has an estimated net worth of $2.9 billion. Not a penny of which is sourced from her parents.

Nothing to do with how she would be as a president, of course.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 5:09 pm
Boca00 wrote:
Yes, I was commenting on mommy3b2c's remark about Ellen.

Oh it wasn’t clear since the quoted text doesn’t mention Ellen and this thread is about Oprah. Maybe you should edit.

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 5:12 pm
amother wrote:
Oprah has an estimated net worth of $2.9 billion. Not a penny of which is sourced from her parents.

Nothing to do with how she would be as a president, of course.

Are you kidding the audience members were aware of the tax? No wonder you are amother to spout such a stupid post.

Oprah was not aware. Her producers were not aware. The tax on the cars was $7000!!!. Oprah looked for people who needed the cars. Yet you are saying the audience members somehow knew this before they were given their cars.

The audience members had a choice of taking the car and paying the tax or refusing the cars. I am sure that those who couldn't afford cars had a spare $7000 to say nothing of money for tags and insurance.

Yeah, I am angry that she did this to poor vulnerable people.

Oprah is all about merchandising.

Boca00

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 5:16 pm
amother wrote:
Oh it wasn’t clear since the quoted text doesn’t mention Ellen and this thread is about Oprah. Maybe you should edit.

Good point. Thanks, I did.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 5:25 pm
Squishy wrote:
Are you kidding the audience members were aware of the tax? No wonder you are amother to spout such a stupid post.

Oprah was not aware. Her producers were not aware. The tax on the cars was $7000!!!. Oprah looked for people who needed the cars. Yet you are saying the audience members somehow knew this before they were given their cars.

The audience members had a choice of taking the car and paying the tax or refusing the cars. I am sure that those who couldn't afford cars had a spare $7000 to say nothing of money for tags and insurance.

Yeah, I am angry that she did this to poor vulnerable people.

Oprah is all about merchandising.

We're all anonymous, aren't we? I mean, unless your name is actually SQUISHY.

But Forbes tells me exactly what I said.

Oh, and the taxes on the cars wasn't $7000. The cars were not gifts, they were prizes awarded by Pontiac (not Winfrey). So the value was considered income to the recipients. Therefore, the tax depended on their income.

Those poor, poor people. Given a car with a sticker price of $28,500. That they could certainly sell for at least $15,000, walking away with $8500 after taxes. My heart breaks.

naomi2

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 5:33 pm
Bahahahahahahahaha!
#Nopra
Honestly, Noone can win against Donald Trump with his personality and the economy booming, he will be a two term president. Imagine her debating him. He will wipe the floor with her. And all her skeletons will come out of the closet. She will be completely ruined. Also, she is running on women and minority rights not exactly a winning platform. To quote a very smart man "It''s the economy, stupid" and ours happens to be doing fabulous. And no, it had nothing to do with Obama. He had 8 years and did nothing for us. If the economy had tanked after Trump was elected leftists would have blamed Trump. You can't have it both ways.

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 5:36 pm
amother wrote:

Oh, and the taxes on the cars wasn't $7000. The cars were not gifts, they were prizes awarded by Pontiac (not Winfrey). So the value was considered income to the recipients. Therefore, the tax depended on their income.

Those poor, poor people. Given a car with a sticker price of $28,500. That they could certainly sell for at least $15,000, walking away with $8500 after taxes. My heart breaks.

Your post is not only not stupid but shows you lack sensitivity to the audience's plight. The sarcasm is misplaced. To give a person a car and get their reactions for ratings and then say that you are only kidding is heartless. You are not getting a $28,000 item, but you are getting $8500. It is downright mean.

This car giveaway may very well cost the audience members their government programs. There was no thought process beyond ratings.

If Oprah wanted to giveaway rides solely to benefit the recipient, it could have been done in a much more sophisticated manner that didn't hurt her audience.

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 5:39 pm
naomi2 wrote:
Bahahahahahahahaha!
#Nopra
Honestly, Noone can win against Donald Trump with his personality and the economy booming, he will be a two term president. Imagine her debating him. He will wipe the floor with her. And all her skeletons will come out of the closet. She will be completely ruined. Also, she is running on women and minority rights not exactly a winning platform. To quote a very smart man "It''s the economy, stupid" and ours happens to be doing fabulous. And no, it had nothing to do with Obama. He had 8 years and did nothing for us. If the economy had tanked after Trump was elected leftists would have blamed Trump. You can't have it both ways.

Black unemployment is the lowest rate ever, and Hispanic unemployment is also near record lows.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 5:47 pm
amother wrote:

We are not anonymous because we have screen personalities, have used PMs to exchange info, and there are people on here who know me personally, such as the site owner and my daughter (Hi Honey Wave )

I believe that her name really is Squishy Wink but that is besides the point. The point is, you are not talking about your intimate life; you are voicing an opinion about a person who may run for office. Why does that need to be anonymous?

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 5:48 pm
Squishy wrote:
Black unemployment is the lowest rate ever, and Hispanic unemployment is also near record lows.

I for one don't mind paying less in taxes. People vote their wallets.

shyshira

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 5:52 pm
Squishy wrote:
Your post is not only not stupid but shows you lack sensitivity to the audience's plight. The sarcasm is misplaced. To give a person a car and get their reactions for ratings and then say that you are only kidding is heartless. You are not getting a $28,000 item, but you are getting $8500. It is downright mean.

This car giveaway may very well cost the audience members their government programs. There was no thought process beyond ratings.

If Oprah wanted to giveaway rides solely to benefit the recipient, it could have been done in a much more sophisticated manner that didn't hurt her audience.

I’m not following. Are you upset that Oprah knew and didn’t care about the tax consequences - or that she was an imbecile not to know about the tax consequences?

groisamomma

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 5:54 pm
I wouldn't vote for Oprah because she's a liberal and I'm afraid of the way liberals treat Israel. If I disliked her opponent I just wouldn't vote.

(Boca, I was horrified at the Nancy episode, too. I thought it was way out of character for Ellen.)

Boca00

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 5:55 pm
groisamomma wrote:
I wouldn't vote for Oprah because she's a liberal and I'm afraid of the way liberals treat Israel. If I disliked her opponent I just wouldn't vote.

(Boca, I was horrified at the Nancy episode, too. I thought it was way out of character for Ellen.)

Right?! I was cringing the whole time.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 5:58 pm
Mr. Trump spent today acting normal, even presidential! If he can do that for more than 24 hours at a time and if his policies continue to encourage an optimistic, growing economy, then yes, a lot of people will vote their wallets.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 6:01 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Mr. Trump spent today acting normal, even presidential! If he can do that for more than 24 hours at a time and if his policies continue to encourage an optimistic, growing economy, then yes, a lot of people will vote their wallets.

Woohoo! All day! Reminds me of potty training.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 6:04 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Woohoo! All day! Reminds me of potty training.

LOL

Or sleeping through the night
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics