Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to the States
Previous  1  2

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 9:57 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
I am not sure where you got the bolded information from. Plenty of OOT communities have excellent chareidi education! There are differences from place to place in who learns what when, and in many places the student body is not as uniform in where exactly the family is holding, frumkeit-wise, but there is definitely quality chareidi education OOT!

I guess I should have said "Israeli type chareidi education" which is what OP described.
She said no math past 4th grade and things like that.
If your child is getting a quality chareidi education with math and science, that is more similar to chemed schools in Israel and OP can switch her kids to that school system without moving to the states. And tuition is still a mere fraction of US tuition.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 10:17 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
If you put them in the same type of school in the US they won't learn those things either.

If you're going to put them in normal schools in the US, why not just do that in Israel?

The above is quite false. Most "charedi" schools I know in the US teach secular subjects through HS. My boys are in Darchei in Far Rockaway. It's an excellent yeshiva!

I agree that leaving EY should be a last resort, but no need to stretch the truth.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 10:46 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
If you put them in the same type of school in the US they won't learn those things either.

If you're going to put them in normal schools in the US, why not just do that in Israel?

Not OP, but your premise is incorrect, we don't have that choice of schools here.

My son is in a cheder now here is Israel and he is hardly learning any secular subjects at the moment. We supplement with private lessons.

We're planning on moving to the UK )for other reasons) and he will most certainly go to a school that teaches all the subjects and takes the national exams etc.

There just aren't charedi/yeshivish schools like that in Israel which cater to the right-wing community. And the other schools don't fit with our hashkafos.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 10:50 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
I guess I should have said "Israeli type chareidi education" which is what OP described.
She said no math past 4th grade and things like that.
If your child is getting a quality chareidi education with math and science, that is more similar to chemed schools in Israel and OP can switch her kids to that school system without moving to the states. And tuition is still a mere fraction of US tuition.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but charedi boys schools that teach a quality secular education are very scarce in Israel. Please name one such school in Yerushalayim.

Rappel

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 2:25 pm
OP, would you prefer to write in Hebrew? Then you could say everything you want to say, and people here can give you more directed responses

ממה את חוששת כאן, ומה את מצפה משם?

SacN

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 2:57 pm
Quote:
We would need to almost triple our income to live a similar lifestyle in the US (we would have to live in NY/NJ because of DH's business).

But in the US, salaries are 3-4 times as much. You need every penny to get by, but you definitely earn more, bottom line, you just don't necessarily finish the month with more.

Should we stay or move back is a highly personal decision. Talk to people who have done it.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 3:11 pm
Rappel wrote:
OP, would you prefer to write in Hebrew? Then you could say everything you want to say, and people here can give you more directed responses

Rappel, just wondering why you think the OP would feel easier / better answering in hebrew? Hew english seemed fine.

Rappel

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 3:18 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Rappel, just wondering why you think the OP would feel easier / better answering in hebrew? Hew english seemed fine.

Her English is very good. However: she misunderstood a statement up-thread, and it may also be easier for her to express her emotions in Hebrew. Given that this is a very heavy topic for her, I wanted her to be able to express her concerns in whatever language she is most comfortable in. We'll understand.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 3:19 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
The above is quite false. Most "charedi" schools I know in the US teach secular subjects through HS. My boys are in Darchei in Far Rockaway. It's an excellent yeshiva!

I agree that leaving EY should be a last resort, but no need to stretch the truth.

And how much is tuition? Housing costs??

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 3:20 pm
Rappel wrote:
Her English is very good. However: she misunderstood a statement up-thread, and it may also be easier for her to express her emotions in Hebrew. Given that this is a very heavy topic for her, I wanted her to be able to express her concerns in whatever language she is most comfortable in. We'll understand.
ah, ok. got it.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 3:49 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but charedi boys schools that teach a quality secular education are very scarce in Israel. Please name one such school in Yerushalayim.

I was addressing the response of the person who said her boys are receiving a quality secular education in a chareidi school in the states. Not in israel. That was exactly my point.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 4:02 pm
Rappel wrote:

Nope, I'm good.
Just wondering, you replied to someone saying I misunderstood something someone wrote. What did I misunderstand?

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 4:18 pm
I would crunch numbers really well. We made Aliyah and I think I have a spreadsheet on my laptop that I could send you if you want. Some things won’t apply but it may give you a better idea. Look at job postings in city/town you’re wanting to move to in your fields. Look at the requirements, salary, look into schools and tuition, average rent prices, groceries, etc. I will admit, my husband and I made more in the US but now here in EY we have more disposable money. Maybe we are outliers and make more than we think, but it’s so amazing not paying 40K+ for tuition.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 4:26 pm
Rappel wrote:

I just want to make sure, the best that I can, that we're making the right decision for our family. Moving to another country is a pretty extreme thing to do.
We don't fit in here hashkafically, financially we can barely finish the month (and we live on a very low budget). DH got a potential job offer which would help with the medical insurance and is also in a state that provides vouchers for tuition so they would both be a big break.
We cannot afford to buy an apartment here, over there, we could.
I get the impression that the level of living is higher there than it is over here. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Hope I made myself more clear...

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 4:53 pm
Yes, level of living standards are typically higher in u.s.
things like central air conditioning, car , etc. Are the norm and not luxuries.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 5:33 pm
what type of medical insurance will the work be offering? in america its not uncommon to get insurance with high deductibles- meaning you have to pay out thousands of dollars before insurance pays and/or copays for most visits. meaning every time your kid gets sick and you take him to the doctor its another 30 dollars. Employers also sometimes give insurance but you pay for it or part of it or you are covered but not all your 10 kids unless you contribute. We pay 100% but get it "through" my husband's work place. Also not all places will automatically take your insurance... don't know about israel but here its a mess.

in terms of vouchers. that starts at kindergarten. I would find out what the numbers are like for people where you want to move.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 12:29 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
what type of medical insurance will the work be offering? in america its not uncommon to get insurance with high deductibles- meaning you have to pay out thousands of dollars before insurance pays and/or copays for most visits. meaning every time your kid gets sick and you take him to the doctor its another 30 dollars. Employers also sometimes give insurance but you pay for it or part of it or you are covered but not all your 10 kids unless you contribute. We pay 100% but get it "through" my husband's work place. Also not all places will automatically take your insurance... don't know about israel but here its a mess.

in terms of vouchers. that starts at kindergarten. I would find out what the numbers are like for people where you want to move.

Tnx for the heads up
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating