Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Why does Texas Instruments have a monopoly on calculators?
Previous  1  2

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 10:51 pm
I always wondered why the school doesn't just get a class set to use with whichever classes need them at the time. We used to have class sets of regular 4-function calculators in the younger grades (yup made by Texas Instruments IIRC) and I believe they had the scientific ones as well. That way everyone has the same calculator to learn on and parents don't need to go crazy finding and paying for the right one. I have to assume it is a small minority that actually use them outside of school, and not everyone even needs them in college (certainly not the very specific priciest model because by the time you're in college you should be able to handle figuring out buttons that are different) Classes in high schools are set up so only one class is having math at a time, I assume not every grade needs the fancy functions.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 2:47 am
Quote:
20 years eh? That makes us in the same age range for high school calculator purchasing and mine is obsolete. It was good enough for my college but now the kids need graphing functions that weren't standard when I was in school. Mine would not make the cut. It was very current and cool in its day around 20 years ago.

I have the TI-83. Although my DSs teacher really wanted the TI84 she said she's not going to make us go out and buy it. (We're not in NY though, so no Regents, not sure if that makes a difference)

mom39

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 4:54 am
There is not much difference between the TI84 plus and the TI84CE. I would be VERY surprised if the teacher makes you get a CE if you have a regular 84.

The TI84 plus calculator definitely has certain useful features that the TI83 plus does not have. I tell my students - if they are buying a new calculator to get the 84 or CE - however, if they have a 83plus at home from a sibling I don't require them to spend the extra $100+ for a new one. But they should know the 84plus will be more helpful ESPECIALLY IN 11TH GRADE!!

Some schools provide calculators for a fee and then return the money (minus 5 or 10 dollars) when the calculator is returned in good working order.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 7:28 pm
mom39 wrote:
There is not much difference between the TI84 plus and the TI84CE. I would be VERY surprised if the teacher makes you get a CE if you have a regular 84.

The TI84 plus calculator definitely has certain useful features that the TI83 plus does not have. I tell my students - if they are buying a new calculator to get the 84 or CE - however, if they have a 83plus at home from a sibling I don't require them to spend the extra $100+ for a new one. But they should know the 84plus will be more helpful ESPECIALLY IN 11TH GRADE!!

Some schools provide calculators for a fee and then return the money (minus 5 or 10 dollars) when the calculator is returned in good working order.

Yes, the 84 plus is significantly better than the 83 plus.

There's not much of a difference between the 84 plus and 84 plus CE.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics