Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Stray Cat Question

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 7:51 pm
My friend just rescued a stray cat yesterday and I took the kids to see it. It's very friendly and licked my kids hand (which happens to have a cut). It is going to the vet tomorrow. Should my kid be scared about ch'v rabies? I read that cats can be quarentined for 10 days but if they give the cat a rabies vaccine at the vet tomorrow it can hide rabies so what's the right thing to do? it's behaving perfectly healthy has been living under my friends porch for 2 weeks and in her house for 1 days. I'm being typical hypochondriac anxious type a now so thanks.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 7:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My friend just rescued a stray cat yesterday and I took the kids to see it. It's very friendly and licked my kids hand (which happens to have a cut). It is going to the vet tomorrow. Should my kid be scared about ch'v rabies? I read that cats can be quarentined for 10 days but if they give the cat a rabies vaccine at the vet tomorrow it can hide rabies so what's the right thing to do? it's behaving perfectly healthy has been living under my friends porch for 2 weeks and in her house for 1 days. I'm being typical hypochondriac anxious type a now so thanks.

It's likely fine if nobody was bitten, just call your pediatrician if you feel uncertain.

Tell me about the cat!

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 7:59 pm
In March, a stray cat scratched my hand and there was some surface blood (not a lot but I was still very nervous.)
I ran to the doctor, who wouldn't get too close to me because of Covid, and he just told me not to worry and put alcohol on it and squeeze the blood out. Probably not the best advise but bH I think all is good.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 8:43 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
It's likely fine if nobody was bitten, just call your pediatrician if you feel uncertain.

Tell me about the cat!

The cat is so cute. It would be so nice if my community allowed pets. My friend thinks it was dumped because it is so friendly to people. It would meow at my friend's door and rub itself against her which is why she finally decided to adopt it. We think it's under 1 year old but not a small kitten. So so so so cute.

BH Yom Yom

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 8:48 pm
Cats very rarely carry or transmit rabies, so I wouldn't worry. Just wash the cut with soap and water and cover with neosporin and a band-aid. Enjoy cuddling the kitty!! 😻

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 8:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The cat is so cute. It would be so nice if my community allowed pets. My friend thinks it was dumped because it is so friendly to people. It would meow at my friend's door and rub itself against her which is why she finally decided to adopt it. We think it's under 1 year old but not a small kitten. So so so so cute.

I'm sorry you can't have a kitty. Mine makes our lives so much better.

twizzlers1

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 2:53 am
I wish you could adopt it! We live in Israel and have adopted over the years two different they are the easiest animals to take care of because they just use the litter box. They are really great for kids. I have one son that is quite wild but when he sits with that cat he is a totally different kid. And he is so gentle with her.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 7:19 am
make sure she takes him to the vet
don't let your child play or touch it until verified healthy
cute or not stray cats can spread disease
ask your pediatrician

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 7:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

This is not the behavior of a sick cat. A rabid cat is often lethargic, drooling, and walking like it's drunk. The aggressive stage doesn't come until the end, and by then it would be really obvious.

Just wash the cut well, keep antibiotics on it, and if you see any redness or tenderness to go urgent care.

If you don't want stray cats to get attached to you, don't feed them - but please put out bowls of water when the weather is hot. The cats will reward you by catching mice and rats.

You can call your Animal Control department and see if they have a catch and release spay clinic for any female cats. (Neutering male cats can be halachically tricky, so please ask your rabbi. There are ways to do it.)

There is a special place in hell for people who dump animals. Mad

cbg

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 9:19 am
There’s something called cat scratch fever
Not dangerous just a little bit of temperature

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 9:51 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
[u]You can call your Animal Control department and see if they have a catch and release spay clinic for any female cats. (Neutering male cats can be halachically tricky, so please ask your rabbi. There are ways to do it.)

There is a special place in hell for people who dump animals. Mad

This. Or call your local animal rescue organization, Humane Society, APL, etc. Sometimes “animal control” departments will just euthanize the animals Sad

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 10:00 am
BH Yom Yom wrote:
This. Or call your local animal rescue organization, Humane Society, APL, etc. Sometimes “animal control” departments will just euthanize the animals Sad

That's why you have to be very specific about what programs they are offering.

Usually, if you buy your own humane trap, you can bring the animal in, they'll give you a low fee spay, and then you can release the cat back into your area. They may only offer this service once or twice a year, depending on the city's budget.

Fun fact: At the beginning of the Corona pandemic, within the first month, the Riverside California animal shelter was EMPTIED OUT. The place is huge, and they are usually way over capacity.

So many people came in needing pets to get them through the crisis, that they ran out of animals, and had to start referring people to shelters in other areas. 😸🐶Heart

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 10:37 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
That's why you have to be very specific about what programs they are offering.

Usually, if you buy your own humane trap, you can bring the animal in, they'll give you a low fee spay, and then you can release the cat back into your area. They may only offer this service once or twice a year, depending on the city's budget.

Fun fact: At the beginning of the Corona pandemic, within the first month, the Riverside California animal shelter was EMPTIED OUT. The place is huge, and they are usually way over capacity.

So many people came in needing pets to get them through the crisis, that they ran out of animals, and had to start referring people to shelters in other areas. 😸🐶Heart

Yes!! This made me so happy Very Happy Not that people were/are struggling, but that so many pets got to go to good fur-ever homes 💕

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 11:11 am
So the pediatrician was laughing - said the chances of having a problem are like winning the lottery while being eaten by a bear in a snow storm during June in Texas. Anyways the cat went to the vet amd was already spayed so likely already vaccinated. She got boosters and is now home with my friend.

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 11:30 am
Yay OP, so happy to hear! And happy the kitty has a good, loving home with your friend.

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 11:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So the pediatrician was laughing - said the chances of having a problem are like winning the lottery while being eaten by a bear in a snow storm during June in Texas. Anyways the cat went to the vet amd was already spayed so likely already vaccinated. She got boosters and is now home with my friend.

I like your pediatrician’s sense of humor Rolling Laughter

SacN

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 11:36 am
Quote:

I wish you could adopt it! We live in Israel and have adopted over the years two different they are the easiest animals to take care of because they just use the litter box. They are really great for kids. I have one son that is quite wild but when he sits with that cat he is a totally different kid. And he is so gentle with her.

Me too! Also in Israel, also amazing for my challenging son.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics