Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Birth certificate

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 2:30 pm
want to apply for a passport and can't find birth certificate for child.
what's the best and cheapest way to get a new one. NJ.

and what's the diff between a copy and a certified copy?

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 5:42 pm
I ordered my sons online, because it was too hard for me to go to the records office in the city my son was born in.

The office told me to use VitalCheck, and I think it works for most cities in NJ
https://www.vitalchek.com/vital-records

It will be much more expensive though, they charge fees for using the online service, and then also for the shipping. I paid around double what it would have cost me if I went in person, just keep that in mind.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 5:44 pm
All the copies you order through them will be certified, which is what you will need to apply for a passport

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:21 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
I ordered my sons online, because it was too hard for me to go to the records office in the city my son was born in.

The office told me to use VitalCheck, and I think it works for most cities in NJ
https://www.vitalchek.com/vital-records

It will be much more expensive though, they charge fees for using the online service, and then also for the shipping. I paid around double what it would have cost me if I went in person, just keep that in mind.

Thanks. just putting it out there for ppl that are following. you can get the same thing that vitalcheck will give you for a fraction of the cost from the governments website directly.

cnc

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 11:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. just putting it out there for ppl that are following. you can get the same thing that vitalcheck will give you for a fraction of the cost from the governments website directly.

The Dept of Vital Records website reroutes you to vital check (in NY). They’re probably contracted with them.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, May 06 2021, 12:26 pm
The city in NJ where my son was born also only did it through vitalcheck for online orders. The only other options to do it through the government were to either go in person or mail an application and money order to them
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics