Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Touro dorms

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 11 2021, 9:26 pm
DD will be dorming at Touro. This will be her first time in the dorm (zoom has been great- but time for people other than me..) How big is the dorm. WE live outside of NY and so I want to send her with all of the basics as far as cooking supplies etc., but don't want her not to have room. How big are the kitchens as far as cabinet space. Also how much clothing space is there?

amother
NeonPurple

Post Wed, Aug 11 2021, 9:54 pm
Brooklyn or Manhattan?

scruffy

Post Wed, Aug 11 2021, 9:56 pm
amother [ NeonPurple ] wrote:
Brooklyn or Manhattan?

Brooklyn doesn't have a dorm so it's definitely Manhattan.

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Aug 11 2021, 10:59 pm
I went around 10 years ago but I believe it's still the same dorm. The dorm mother (not sure if she's still there as her husband passed away) always discouraged people from buying things for the kitchen right away and instead encouraged roommates to figure out what needs to be bought and split it up (ie one girl buys Milchig stuff, one buys Fleishing stuff). There's not a ton of space for things. There's a Bed Bath and Beyond in the city that she can go to stock up, and with Amazon and other delivery sites so convenient, I wouldn't rush to buy her stuff until she get there and sees what is needed.

She will have an oven, stovetop, and one microwave. Toasters and toaster ovens are not allowed and they are very strict about it.

Hope she enjoys! I loved it and gained so much from being in the dorms!

amother
Sage

Post Wed, Aug 11 2021, 11:08 pm
I was there several years ago- the building has changed since then. My sisters who attended more recently said that the kitchen is super cramped. When I was there the girls definitely all shared pots, pans etc.

I suggest takeout for a day or two while she orders what she needs on Amazon Smile

I loved it there and heard the new forms are beautiful! Overall, keep in mind this is manhattan and there is very limited space in general.

Yes I heard about Mrs. Katz’s husband- it was terrible. I believe she is still returning, she is absolutely wonderful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics