Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ds uncontrollable coughing

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 8:58 pm
Ds 10 has a lingering cough all winter. He is taking allegra for it and it is basically under control. Problem is that he is very sensory and when he feels a tickle in his throat he starts coughing and coughing uncontrollably…. I really think he can control it, but it has become a behavioral thing. We’ve tried cough drops, hot drinks, asthma puffer….
How can I teach him to control his cough?

(It becomes a huge issue in school!)

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 9:11 pm
Don't. Please.
I had terrible seasonal allergies and even with medication, I still had some coughing with occasional coughing attacks. It was so humiliating when teachers or others called attention to it. No, I couldn't control it and no, I couldn't cough more quietly, and no, I couldn't wait until recess to cough either.
Please, do whatever you can regarding medication or supplements but don't ever tell him to stop coughing.

amother
Seablue

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 9:13 pm
Try robitussin

shnitzel

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 9:26 pm
Was he swabbed for pertussis? I’m not sure if it’s too late since he’s been sick for so long but that sounds a lot like when my daughter had pertussis. She also has reactive airways so we assumed it was because of that but nothing worked and she’s have crazy coughing fits for three months that sometimes ended in vomiting.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 10:11 pm
My pediatrician says a nebulizer

penguin

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 10:17 pm
There's at least one study that shows honey soothes the throat as well as cough medicine.

As far as the habit, you could try having him keep a water bottle handy at all times, and whenever he feels the itch a drink may help.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 10:23 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Don't. Please.
I had terrible seasonal allergies and even with medication, I still had some coughing with occasional coughing attacks. It was so humiliating when teachers or others called attention to it. No, I couldn't control it and no, I couldn't cough more quietly, and no, I couldn't wait until recess to cough either.
Please, do whatever you can regarding medication or supplements but don't ever tell him to stop coughing.

This!
I've had the 100 day cough and people being annoyed at me, even teachers, was horrible.
No, you cant control it.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 11:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
(It becomes a huge issue in school!)

Are his teachers adults? I hope so! If any adult thinks a kid is coughing just to be annoying has something wrong with them.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 4:57 pm
Sorry it took me so long to come back and respond

Firstly thank you for your responses.

To clarify. I don’t mean his coughing is behavioral as in it is a way to disturb the class. Rather he has no way to soothe the itch in his throat besides coughing, which makes it worse, which makes him cough more etc… that’s why I said he is sensory- that itch bothers him a lot! Also, in general, he does things loudly…. His coughing is really disturbing.
When he tries not to cough all he thinks about is coughing so that backfires…
I’m looking for other tricks to stop the cough

My doctor told me not to use cough medicine because he is a little asthmatic…
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics