Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
When shoudl I charge and how much?

amother

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 4:18 pm
I am in my 20's and I am often asked to speak at various functions, gatherings, classes, schools etc. Hashem has given me this gift and I see it as a medium for inspiration, chizuk and kiruv.
I am not famous, ppl in my community know me and BH I am told that I have a real talent for it.
thing is its not like I'm asked once or twice a year as time passes its getting more and more often and my Dh thinks I should charge. Some places give me a token of thanks, but I never say anything.
What is your opinion?

MMEC123

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 4:35 pm
Is this your only job? Either way I think you can charge.

flowerpower

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 4:37 pm
If you are doing this often that means you are popular and you can start charging for it.

amother

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 6:22 pm
op here
its not my only job.
I do this once a week for sure.

how much do I charge?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 6:35 pm
is it for places that can afford it? you need to ask for carfare and a babysitter if you need one. dinner out for dr if you're not home. how much prep time do you need, time away from a paying job.

Squash

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 8:57 pm
find out how much your comm pays for speakers. you can definitely charge. hatzlocha

amother

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 9:53 pm
who would u ask about how much the community pays? Or how much they can afford?
the only ppl I can think of asking are famous speakers, who either get paid well or do a once off as a chesed. I dont mind to do a once off as a chesed but I get calls constantly from various pple/groups.
I happen to really enjoy this but it can get a bit much, besides I feel like if this is a talent I have I should b paid for it just like any other (ex. a sheitel macher, makeup artist)

yo'ma

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 9:59 pm
The places that you speak, do they charge the people? If they do, absolutely, charge!! How long are the speeches? Is it a sit down, with dinner and such? How far do you have to travel? All those things should be taken into consideration when deciding a price. You probably could charge bet $50-150 an hour, depending.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics