Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Financial Contributions if you're hosting
1  2  Next

Do your parents/in laws contribute if you host them?
Yes  
 58%  [ 54 ]
No  
 38%  [ 35 ]
Other, I'll explain  
 3%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 92

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 6:34 am
Do your parents offer to help with the expenses of yom tov if they (and their other children) come to you for Pesach?

amother
DarkYellow

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 6:50 am
Not just that but whenever my parents come to visit they always help that with groceries. Paying for I would say way more than half. And I now have Married kids so if I will go to them I would definitely pay for groceries

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 6:51 am
We still go to my parents, but my grandmother gives them some money, as does each of the children in my generation (actually we each do a set of purchases because it's less awkward for my parents that way- one brother pays for the wine order, I pick up all the dairy etc)

bsy

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 6:54 am
I'm going to my parents and paid for the shmura matza and romaine lettuce

DrMom

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 9:38 am
Whenever we get together with others -- be it family or friends -- for seder, guests contribute to the meal.

Not by paying cash (that seems weird) but by bringing some components of the meal.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 9:44 am
I'm going to a sibling. When we go we buy nice paper goods to minimize the dishwashing. We also give a couple hundred dollars, it's somewhat discuss when we accept the invite. We can't bring any food or matza or wine, per their request.

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 10:43 am
Going to my parents this year. We're bringing a couple cases of wine and also there were a few pesach items they've been meaning to get/replace, so we took care of those.

newinbp

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 10:52 am
Family comes to us and brings gifts like stuffed animals.or books. We try to have zero expectations and be grateful to have family who can come.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 11:54 am
we are going to parents and in laws for pesach and did not contribute, although we offered. we did get nice gifts

when my parents or in laws come for shabbos they do not contribute, but usually bring something for my dd.

when they get to the stage we would be hosting them I would never expect them to contribute, as they would probably getting to retirement when funds are tighter.

If I was struggling finacally and they where doing well I would assume they would offer help (assuming they know)

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 12:10 pm
The whole family is going to a sibling this year. We're bringing matzah, wine, some nosh, another brother is sending $500 just to offset anything. My mil isn't able to help so much financially but she's bringing a bunch of little toys and books for the kids and is the main babysitter

amother
Catmint

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 12:23 pm
I chose other. I don't ask for it, but if they offer and that year I could use the help, I would accept it

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 12:42 pm
Family comes and contributes a good chunk of the food. Very helpful and saves time and money.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 12:57 pm
Going to my parents and paid for most of the food for all of us.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 1:17 pm
We’re not having parents, but they gave us some money as a YT present. Some guests also gave us some money. When we go out for sedarim we offer to bring things-lettuce, wine, matzah etc.

amother
Daylily

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 2:02 pm
Having a siblings family. They contributed $1500. We don't have extra money and they do.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 2:16 pm
My mother is coming she sent me $100.

amother
Grape

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 3:43 pm
I’m going to my adult kids. I bought them each pretty paper goods, meat, chicken, matza, wine and treats for the little ones. I’m so happy to be able to help.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 4:36 pm
Going to parents and inlaws they would be mortally insulted if we offered them money lol.

I do wish I could bring some food but dont have a pesach kitchen

ap

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 4:59 pm
bsy wrote:
I'm going to my parents and paid for the shmura matza and romaine lettuce

Yours or theirs too?
Wanted to start this year...

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 5:13 pm
Going to sibling. Bringing matzoh and baked and cooked a bunch. Will buy lots of games for the kids. I offered to contribute monetarily but she won't accept it so I figured the food and toys is helpful instead.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics