Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Dr Richard Notto - I am quite disturbed
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 3:41 pm
amother Red wrote:
Trust me most frum ppl use this doctor so if you've called a referral agency you know his name. And no, he always laughs about that because 5'3 is about 3 or 4 inches less than what the potential should be for a girl. He also said most short people have a reason like neglect or family genes like smallpituitary glands which can be addressed medically. If your family is short, go to an endocrinologist very early (consult at age 2, follow ups) and see a nutrionist. He says it is sort of like braces- people used to think they were cosmetic optional but talk to an orthodontist today and you'll see they almost never are. It's not just cosmetic It's way more than that and it starts much younger. Prople who take their kids for braces at 16 or think they are just cosmetic are misguided, as are ppl who think being 5'3 is ok. it's okay after the fact, but not when it's in your control.

this a old post. feel free to ignore.

I find Dr Nottos statements very disturbing.

would a small pituitary gland show up with different symptoms?
is a small pituitary gland hereditary and thats why there why there is genetically short height in families?

is there no such a thing as plain short genes?

it seems like trying to find out the cause why someone has along nose? genes,

there are kids that eating nothing or loads of junk and are huge. they would have been even bigger had they been eating healthy?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 3:44 pm
the same amother wrote

Not at all. He is short himself and will fight like crazy to help short kids not have to be short. He says insurance just denies because it is easy but he fights to get everything approved. My sister's estimated height was 4'11 with no deficencies or any medical reason why she is now 5'1 and insurance is still paying and he's still fighting for her. No period yet (intentionally) and she'll probably get to at least 5'4 because of going above and beyond.

if there was no reason for her short height - why does he say there is always a reason?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 3:45 pm
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....t=100

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 3:53 pm
What's wrong with being short? Genuinely confused here. And besides, I've read that tall height is a risk factor for cancer

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 3:59 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
What's wrong with being short? Genuinely confused here. And besides, I've read that tall height is a risk factor for cancer

its not about wrong.

is it all true what he is saying?

amother
NeonGreen

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 5:27 pm
This is one specific poster's view. She used her username on other threads and her views were countered so she went anon on future threads.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 5:38 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:
This is one specific poster's view. She used her username on other threads and her views were countered so she went anon on future threads.

could you link the other threads?

are her views not the norm? meaning, minority? not many think this way?

amother
Maple

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 5:50 pm
I do think there’s more to height potential than straight up genes. It’s a lot of epigenetics. To me it isn’t so much about the importance of being tall or even reaching your full height potential, but more about what’s going on behind the symptoms, and what else that’s going to affect. Like if short stature is a sign of dysfunction anywhere along the hpa axis, there’s going to be more to that, and those things are going to be significant. Of course, if his solution is synthetic growth hormones, that might not address much more than growth, and won’t really solve any of the other issues, however, I think there’s new research coming out on how growth hormone affects many other hpa functions, and so it may yes be something to consider at some point, especially if bioidentical is an option.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 5:59 pm
amother Maple wrote:
I do think there’s more to height potential than straight up genes. It’s a lot of epigenetics. To me it isn’t so much about the importance of being tall or even reaching your full height potential, but more about what’s going on behind the symptoms, and what else that’s going to affect. Like if short stature is a sign of dysfunction anywhere along the hpa axis, there’s going to be more to that, and those things are going to be significant. Of course, if his solution is synthetic growth hormones, that might not address much more than growth, and won’t really solve any of the other issues, however, I think there’s new research coming out on how growth hormone affects many other hpa functions, and so it may yes be something to consider at some point, especially if bioidentical is an option.

are all these things inherited? hpa axis etc does it run in families ? or only short genes?

cos many say- nothing wrong with my child - I am short so I expect child to be short like with any other things...

Trademark

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 6:01 pm
That's crazy. That's about the average height of a woman in the US.

And being 5'3 it's not a health condition.

amother
Maple

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 6:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
are all these things inherited? hpa axis etc does it run in families ? or only short genes?

cos many say- nothing wrong with my child - I am short so I expect child to be short like with any other things...
Yes hpa axis dysfunction will have a genetic component but the hard genes are rare, usually it's more epigenetic meaning you can control the expression of the genes to an extent by controlling your environment -- lifestyle, diet, nutrient status etc.

amother
Maple

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 6:16 pm
If your child is otherwise 100% typically developing and healthy, it's possible that the short stature is just a benign inherited trait. But if there's other stuff going on that point to hpa axis dysfunction, then the short stature is just another symptom/clue.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 6:26 pm
Trademark wrote:
That's crazy. That's about the average height of a woman in the US.

And being 5'3 it's not a health condition.

even 5ft - cant it be just genetic?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 6:26 pm
amother Maple wrote:
Yes hpa axis dysfunction will have a genetic component but the hard genes are rare, usually it's more epigenetic meaning you can control the expression of the genes to an extent by controlling your environment -- lifestyle, diet, nutrient status etc.

what do you mean the hard genes are rare?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 6:28 pm
amother Maple wrote:
If your child is otherwise 100% typically developing and healthy, it's possible that the short stature is just a benign inherited trait. But if there's other stuff going on that point to hpa axis dysfunction, then the short stature is just another symptom/clue.

would a small pituitary gland, as dr notto says can be a reason, wouldnt there be other symptoms?

isnt a small pituitary very rare?

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 6:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
the same amother wrote

Not at all. He is short himself and will fight like crazy to help short kids not have to be short. He says insurance just denies because it is easy but he fights to get everything approved. My sister's estimated height was 4'11 with no deficencies or any medical reason why she is now 5'1 and insurance is still paying and he's still fighting for her. No period yet (intentionally) and she'll probably get to at least 5'4 because of going above and beyond.

if there was no reason for her short height - why does he say there is always a reason?

I'm so put off by a medical professional delaying puberty in a girl so she doesn't "have to be short" It sounds like a very dangerous game to me

amother
Maple

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 6:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
would a small pituitary gland, as dr notto says can be a reason, wouldnt there be other symptoms?

isnt a small pituitary very rare?
I’m not sure what he means by small pituitary, but I’m thinking more an under functioning pituitary — hypopituitarism. And yes, hypopituitarism will have other symptoms. But they can be non specific and very often missed.

Hard genes being rare means let’s say a genetic mutation that makes someone produce insufficient growth hormone is rare. Most reasons for low gh, short stature, hypopit etc will likely be caused partially by genetic predisposition, but also by environmental/lifestyle factors.

ETA I looked up small pituitary. It’s called empty sella on imaging. Look it up. It’s not usually something people are born with, not considered genetic. It develops, which means something caused it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 6:40 pm
amother Maple wrote:
I’m not sure what he means by small pituitary, but I’m thinking more an under functioning pituitary — hypopituitarism. And yes, hypopituitarism will have other symptoms. But they can be non specific and very often missed.

Hard genes being rare means let’s say a genetic mutation that makes someone produce insufficient growth hormone is rare. Most reasons for low gh, short stature, hypopit etc will likely be caused partially by genetic predisposition, but also by environmental/lifestyle factors.

sorry but I dont understand.

if hard gene that causes insufficient growth hormone are rare then the next thing you mentioned that low gh short stature etc is likely to be caused partially by genetic disposition....-it seems contradictary?

amother
Maple

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 6:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
sorry but I dont understand.

if hard gene that causes insufficient growth hormone are rare then the next thing you mentioned that low gh short stature etc is likely to be caused partially by genetic disposition....-it seems contradictary?

Very few cases will be caused by a gene that codes directly for gh . Very few people literally don’t have instructions to make gh.

Most cases will be caused by environmental factors. If there is a genetic predisposition, the genes will affect other upstream or downstream pathways.

For example, maybe you have a genetic predisposition to autoimmunity, then an unaddressed infection triggers antibodies against your thyroid, then your thyroid doesn’t produce enough thyroid hormones, and then your pituitary doesn’t produce enough gh. See the difference?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 11 2023, 4:34 am
amother Maple wrote:
Very few cases will be caused by a gene that codes directly for gh . Very few people literally don’t have instructions to make gh.

Most cases will be caused by environmental factors. If there is a genetic predisposition, the genes will affect other upstream or downstream pathways.

For example, maybe you have a genetic predisposition to autoimmunity, then an unaddressed infection triggers antibodies against your thyroid, then your thyroid doesn’t produce enough thyroid hormones, and then your pituitary doesn’t produce enough gh. See the difference?

see what you mean by hard genes. but there is such a thing.
even if its very few people if its genetic its going to run in families and more people will have it.

and maybe its rare hard genes for gh insufficiency but there are hard genes  for plain short genes? even though everything else is ok...?
acc to example if it effects the thyroid how does the thyroid effect the pituitary that it shouldnt produce hgh? 

not only that but there are kids that have low/no gh with no underlying reason - wouldnt that just be genes?

also if kids have no reason for gh deficiency how would mrs apters natural drops that works on the hpa axis work if the hpa axis is ok...

sorry for all the questions. I find this very interesting.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics