Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
ISO community for BT couple (RWMO)
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Hibiscus

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 10:29 pm
If you are looking BY, I would recommend Passaic over Teaneck. I live in Teaneck and love it, but you might find the community too LW for you.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 10:51 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:
Look into Teaneck, Baltimore, Passaic

Some areas in Queens like Bayswater too

Trying to spend a shabbos there. I'd say passaic makes sense.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Aug 21 2023, 4:52 am
You can look into some of the communities further out on long Island. I have relatives there and some seem to have the close knit vibe. They are on the modern side, but its not clear to me where you sir on that spectrum. Note if you want a BY, You'll need to bus back into the 5 towns/ far Rockaway.

Look into the different Philly communities. Between them they'll have the resources you want and there are s wide range of families.

Boston (but expensive).

Baltimore has been mentioned, also checks a lot of your boxes.
Silver spring

If you're willing to move away from 5he east coast the flowing at least used to have high schools:

Phoenix/Scottsdale
Cincinnati (not sure of restaurants)
Atlanta (same)
Houston
Dallaa

Larger communities:
Cleveland
Detroit
.....wbive two you'll need to find out which neighborhoods have the rwmo concentrations

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Aug 21 2023, 5:40 am
Baltimore, Passaic, Waterbury because u sound more JPF.

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Aug 21 2023, 9:00 am
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
Baltimore, Passaic, Waterbury because u sound more JPF.

What is "jpf"?

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Aug 21 2023, 9:04 am
amother Lilac wrote:
Bayswater. Has a place for everyone.

I was going to say that! Also west Hempstead or Oceanside, but I don’t know anything about the costs.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Aug 21 2023, 10:02 am
amother Currant wrote:
What is "jpf"?

Just plain frum. She labels herself as MO but wants to send to bais yaakov. Unfortunately because of the lack of understanding of true MO hashkafa, many people self label as JPF. And because of this same misunderstanding, families that self label as MO won't be able to get their girls into BYs in many places.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Mon, Aug 21 2023, 10:13 am
amother Maroon wrote:
If you're willing to move away from 5he east coast the flowing at least used to have high schools:

Phoenix/Scottsdale
Cincinnati (not sure of restaurants)
Atlanta (same)
Houston
Dallaa

Cincinnati has a BY high school and a mesivta. Vouchers make tuition very affordable, if you qualify. For a new transplant, voucher eligibility will be determined by income.

Restaurants are:
* Amma's Kitchen - vegetarian Indian, cholov stam
* Kinneret Grill - meat, lunch and dinner, Sunday through Friday.
* Marx Hot Bagels - bagel place, dairy with both cholov stam and CY options
* Orange Spot - dairy and meat (separate kitchens obviously), CY for dairy, only open M-F, for breakfast and lunch.
* JCC Cafe - breakfast and lunch, M-F.
* Silverton Donut Shop - donuts and coffee

Kosher grocery store is supposed to be coming this fall sometime.

It sounds like Cincinnati could be a fit for you. Based on the fact that you want a BY lehatchila and not just bdieved, I gather that you are using the "RW" prefix to signify a more RW hashakafah/ideology, and not just to signal that you cover your hair and dress a certain way. If that's correct, I think you could be very happy here.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Aug 21 2023, 11:07 am
amother Butterscotch wrote:
Based on the fact that you want a BY lehatchila and not just bdieved, I gather that you are using the "RW" prefix to signify a more RW hashakafah/ideology, and not just to signal that you cover your hair and dress a certain way. If that's correct, I think you could be very happy here.

The only differences between RWMO and yeshivish hashkafa is the pursuit of secular education for personal betterment and not just for parnossah, and zionism. Plus frequently the way the men dress. But RWMO people can fit in very nicely into jpf anf yeshivish communities.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Mon, Aug 21 2023, 11:29 am
The only differences between RWMO and yeshivish hashkafa is the pursuit of secular education for personal betterment and not just for parnossah, and zionism. Plus frequently the way the men dress. But RWMO people can fit in very nicely into jpf anf yeshivish communities.

Different people use the term RWMO in different ways. OOT communities that are more yeshivish and JPF can be a good fit for many people who self-describe as RWMO, but can be more challenging for other people who also self-describe that way.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Aug 21 2023, 11:49 am
Just plain frum. She labels herself as MO but wants to send to bais yaakov. Unfortunately because of the lack of understanding of true MO hashkafa, many people self label as JPF. And because of this same misunderstanding, families that self label as MO won't be able to get their girls into BYs in many places.

She actually said RWMO, so sending to an out of town type, or less right wing type, of BY might make sense.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Aug 21 2023, 3:37 pm
West Hempstead (Long Island) NY. Put West Hempstead in search and info on WH will come up.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 12:25 am
Thankyou for all the suggestions.

Baltimore looks like maybe a potential fit. Which shuls would fit us?

Passaic seems too large. For instance, where do I even begin with researching shuls? Plus OOT BY like I'm familier with, is way, way OOT compared to NJ BY even though NJ is considered OOT. I feel like people will think we are from Mars.

I would have a hard time getting DH to even consider "New Jersey" and anything on Long Island is out.

We come from a small OOT place and the thing is, I see a lot of peoples' kids grow up and move away because there is not enough infrastructure.

I don't want my kids to have to do that.

My DH is hard to please. He has many preconceived notions about different places and forms many of his opinions based on his political leanings and what he knows about local politics of any given area/state/governer.

twogees

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 12:34 am
If you want to stay on the east coast, look into Bayswater and west Hempstead. If willing to look out of NY, look at the Skokie area of Chicago.

amother
Glitter

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 12:48 am
What about Bergenfield NJ? I think it’s a YU-RW community?

amother
Begonia

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 3:52 am
Why do people keep suggesting places she said she doesn't want?

Baltimore sounds perfect for you. I have visited many times but I'm not from there so I can't recommend shuls.

There are also communities in Connecticut that have infrastructure, again I'm not from there but perhaps someone else can chime in? It's close enough to "in town" but not actually.

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 5:47 am
amother OP wrote:
Thankyou for all the suggestions.

Baltimore looks like maybe a potential fit. Which shuls would fit us?

Passaic seems too large. For instance, where do I even begin with researching shuls? Plus OOT BY like I'm familier with, is way, way OOT compared to NJ BY even though NJ is considered OOT. I feel like people will think we are from Mars.

I would have a hard time getting DH to even consider "New Jersey" and anything on Long Island is out.

We come from a small OOT place and the thing is, I see a lot of peoples' kids grow up and move away because there is not enough infrastructure.

I don't want my kids to have to do that.

My DH is hard to please. He has many preconceived notions about different places and forms many of his opinions based on his political leanings and what he knows about local politics of any given area/state/governer.

I would suggest either Ner Tamid. Rabbi Yisroel Motzen is the Rav and he and his Rebbetzin are phenomenal people! The shul is a family.
Or Shomrei Emunah. I forgot who the rav is but also a great place.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 9:33 am
def passaic or Baltimore!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 9:44 am
For Baltimore people, how is Univ of Maryland College Park for frum students? How is the commute? Is it frum friendly enough for a girl if she were to dorm? I ask because I have one daughter with career aspirations for a competitive advanced degree and Touro just doesn’t seem to offer what she is looking for and she doesn’t want to go to Stern.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 11:20 am
amother OP wrote:
For Baltimore people, how is Univ of Maryland College Park for frum students? How is the commute? Is it frum friendly enough for a girl if she were to dorm? I ask because I have one daughter with career aspirations for a competitive advanced degree and Touro just doesn’t seem to offer what she is looking for and she doesn’t want to go to Stern.

In addition to whatever responses you get here, you could also contact the JLIC rabbinical couple on that campus. Their contact info is here: https://maryland.oujlic.org/co.....uple/
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating