Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Teaching without a/c
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 1:38 am
Op, that sounds terrible. I hope they cancel school. It’s not right to you and for the students. It’s awful being a kid sticky and hot and needing to learn.

amother
Midnight

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 3:54 am
amother Aquamarine wrote:
Not Lakewood LOL

thats because lakewood school is for the privileged few.

amother
Midnight

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 3:58 am
amother Tangerine wrote:
My mother is a public school teacher and she does summer teaching too and the NYC Public Schools don’t have a/c.

when you walk past public schools you can see a/cs on the windows

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 5:55 am
amother Royalblue wrote:
Op, that sounds terrible. I hope they cancel school. It’s not right to you and for the students. It’s awful being a kid sticky and hot and needing to learn.

Just playing devil's advocate. If they cancel school it's going to put the working parents in a quandary. They already had to miss last week.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 6:10 am
amother Blushpink wrote:
Just playing devil's advocate. If they cancel school it's going to put the working parents in a quandary. They already had to miss last week.

I guess the question is what percentage of kids/ teachers getting sick from the heat is worth not missing a day of work

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 6:13 am
amother OP wrote:
I guess the question is what percentage of kids/ teachers getting sick from the heat is worth not missing a day of work

Or what can the school do to take care of the problem. It shouldn't be the parents responsibility.

The schools gotta figure something out.

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 7:20 am
amother Midnight wrote:

Window ACs in a classroom don't do much. At one point I worked in a school with this set up and our classrooms were in the 80s for the first and last month of school. I actually had a miscarriage the first week of school one year and wondered if it was from overheating/ dehydration

amother
Mintgreen

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 7:21 am
The high for today is 84. It should be manageable with fans and water etc

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 7:54 am
amother Mintgreen wrote:
The high for today is 84. It should be manageable with fans and water etc

AccuWeather says 88, real feel 94

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 8:30 am
amother OP wrote:
We didn’t either at some points, but school was canceled whenever it was above 80 from what I remember. And honestly, it’s much harder to be teaching than to be a student. Students are sitting down - not on their feet, can drink and go to the bathroom as much as needed, etc. teaching takes a lot of energy.

Also went to school with no a/c, but school was never canceled because it was hot. I remember taking finals in 90 degree weathers.... but times have changed and humans become conditioned to the environments they're raised in. So for those who have never dealt with such heat without a/c, it's much tougher to push through. So I agree the school must do something - such as rent portables or place multiple fans in every room.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 8:45 am
amother Tangerine wrote:
My mother is a public school teacher and she does summer teaching too and the NYC Public Schools don’t have a/c.

*some don’t.

The school I teach in certainly does.

OP, I am so sorry you are going through this. It’s completely unfair to students and teachers.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 3:05 pm
amother Midnight wrote:

Where I teach in NYS the only classrooms that have window AC are the special ed and social communication classes. Gen Ed have only fans in their classrooms.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 3:17 pm
Why can’t they rent a convention center instead? Or take the kids to an urban air for the day instead so working parents don’t suffer.

I would never send my kid. I can’t imagine.

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 3:29 pm
Op how was it todaay

faigie

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 4:10 pm
I’d take my kids to the basement, which should be the coolest part of the building.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 7:02 pm
amother Bergamot wrote:
Op how was it todaay

Really hot, but I was a little more prepared than yesterday. I brought a bag of ice to give out that lasted at least the first hour, and we gave out a lot of freeze pops. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 7:03 pm
faigie wrote:
I’d take my kids to the basement, which should be the coolest part of the building.

We are on a second floor- no access to the basement
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics