Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Is this a reason to ask for a heter?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 10:43 am
Baby will be 6 weeks old. I know you're only considered a cholah for the first 30 days. But I'm not good at fasts in general and have never done one while breastfeeding an infant before (my other kids were born not long after YK, by Tisha b'av they were already eating food much of the time) I've been having a hard time keeping my strength up even on regular days and have had milk supply issues that require supplementing with formula. I've been working really hard to get my milk going and there's been improvement, but I'm assuming a rav would say that if the baby takes formula then it's not really a problem if I lose my supply over Yom Kippur. And the truth is that healthwise, for the baby, it wouldn't be. I would just be extremely disappointed to be busted or even set back after a month and a half of working on this.

Has anyone ever gotten a heter to do shiurim longer than a month after birth?

Elfrida

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 10:49 am
You can ask.

Your Rav will either say yes or no.

Either way, you won't have lost anything.

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 10:52 am
I'm not a Rav but from hat I read I can imagine you'll probably not get a heter being that it's not for health issues of either you or the baby. Hugs anyway.
Let us know if you do get one!

Cheiny

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 10:57 am
amother OP wrote:
Baby will be 6 weeks old. I know you're only considered a cholah for the first 30 days. But I'm not good at fasts in general and have never done one while breastfeeding an infant before (my other kids were born not long after YK, by Tisha b'av they were already eating food much of the time) I've been having a hard time keeping my strength up even on regular days and have had milk supply issues that require supplementing with formula. I've been working really hard to get my milk going and there's been improvement, but I'm assuming a rav would say that if the baby takes formula then it's not really a problem if I lose my supply over Yom Kippur. And the truth is that healthwise, for the baby, it wouldn't be. I would just be extremely disappointed to be busted or even set back after a month and a half of working on this.

Has anyone ever gotten a heter to do shiurim longer than a month after birth?

From what I was told, Yom Kippur is a very big deal and a heter is not so easily given, so it really has to be a true risk of serious danger.
Ask your Rov.

amother
Raspberry

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 11:00 am
You can ask, but you probably won't get a heter.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 11:01 am
I would ask I Was about 5 weeks pp with one of my babies. Fully nursing with pump milk in my freezer . I didn’t ask anything I just assumed I needed to fast it’s yk. by the end of the day my baby would not take the bottle I was super dizzy and drained and I almost fell holding the baby . I wish I had just asked all the questions in advance just to know if the right thing would’ve been to drink some thing. I don’t know if you could get a heater or not to fast at all I just asked her to do just in case of any issues what to do

care4u

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 11:13 am
amother Cornsilk wrote:
I would ask I Was about 5 weeks pp with one of my babies. Fully nursing with pump milk in my freezer . I didn’t ask anything I just assumed I needed to fast it’s yk. by the end of the day my baby would not take the bottle I was super dizzy and drained and I almost fell holding the baby . I wish I had just asked all the questions in advance just to know if the right thing would’ve been to drink some thing. I don’t know if you could get a heater or not to fast at all I just asked her to do just in case of any issues what to do

Being allowed to break your fast if you yourself or your baby will have actual health issues is one thing but because someone's worried about their milk supply is probably not going to be a good enough reason.
OP, to make you feel better, I highly doubt that you will lose your milk supply because you don't eat 1 day.
Nurse yr baby as regularly as you can and supplement with formula if the baby still seems very hungry. FTR, I have usually found to have had a lower milk supply the day after fasting than the day of, so keep that in mind and don't worry if that happens.

amother
Eggshell

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 11:16 am
You should eat a lot of milk producing foods before YK to help with the supply. Fenugreek, oatmeal, etc

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 11:17 am
I didn't get a heter nursing at 5 days post partum...

Iymnok

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 11:18 am
Ask.
You are not feeling well and you need to know when you have to do shiurim, and when you have to really break your fast. More knowledge is good. Even if you can’t get a heter now, there is a point where the heter kicks in. You need to know when that is.
Obviously, drink a lot before and have oatmeal, dates, almonds and other supply booster foods as well.

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 11:19 am
My DD was born 6 Elul. I exclusively nursed. It was about 20 years ago so I don’t really remember, but I am 99% sure I had a heter to do shurim.
Definitely ask.

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 11:20 am
amother Aster wrote:
I didn't get a heter nursing at 5 days post partum...

What? The first week is when you are a choleh misikun, it's dangerous to fast then

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 11:21 am
Get nonalcoholic black beer (in Israel known as "malty") and drink a whole bunch of it, like 500ml and then some, after the fast. It's incredible to bring back up supply. Also, almonds, oats, chilba (urgh).

wabcs

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 11:23 am
I think you get a heter if it's within 3 daysof birth. Fasting on Yom Kippur is very stringent.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 11:24 am
amother Cornsilk wrote:

It's different if you're fully nursing and you don't know if the baby will take bottles. My baby already takes formula for about 1/3 of his feedings. I just don't want to lose the rest Sad

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 12:02 pm
amother Dimgray wrote:
What? The first week is when you are a choleh misikun, it's dangerous to fast then

No it is not. I had a baby on 6 Tishrei. My doctor told me there was no danger to me or my baby to fast. If you have a regular birth and no complications, you will be fine. Actually, It is easier with a tiny baby than it is with one that is more active and needs more food. The teensy newborns don’t need so much food and they sleep a lot.

OP: you will be weak and tired. But you and your baby will be OK. Take vitamins, drink water. Your anxiety is going to be worse than the actual fast

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 12:03 pm
My rav says that fasting on yk is a really big deal. He paskens that a husband should stay home from shul and miss krias hatorah before the wife does shiurim (for normal situations)
He also tells you to prepare very well for the fast, including eating, drinking, tzom kal pills, and IV if necessary
It’s not so simple to just do shiurim

devorah1231

One thing I would avoid is taking anything that will increase your supply before the fast day. I did that once and very much regretted it because my body produced extra milk in the beginning of the fast and then I was very out of energy afterwards and of course had a lower supply after that still.

Better idea would be to bake yourself oatmeal cookies to eat when you break the fast.

That being said everyone is different. Some people produce milk 24 hours after they eat some people 12.

Last edited by devorah1231 on Tue, Sep 19 2023, 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

flowerpower

amother Dimgray wrote:

Someone just told me that it’s 3 days. Yom Kippur is a big deal. Drink a lot of water and be prepared. Make the fast work. You can do it!

amother
Lightgray

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 12:04 pm
Afaik 3 days eat regular, before bris shiurim.
Editing to say ask your rabbi Do not make decisions because of me...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur