Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
When does it cross over to unhealthy?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 2:06 pm
Hi, dd14 weights 127lbs and is almost 5,3.
She has somewhat of a curvy shape, maybe could objectively loose afew lbs but she really is fine as she is and is gorgeous.
She keeps coming to me teary eyed and so upset that she has a flabby stomach, bigger hips etc and she wants to loose it all. She had started being careful with what she eats and occasionally exercises but she isn’t loosing anything and she wants to limit more foods and have a more intensive exercise regiment.

Nothing is out of the norm but it’s making me nervous. She just seems overly emotional about this. I have always been very slim so me assuring her that her shape is gorgeous comes out a little disingenuous. I support her in buying healthy foods and we’ve searched together on line for exercise videos, she’s very open with me bh.

My question is, at what point do I worry? Is there a litmus test that it’s all healthy and good until… ??

amother
Tealblue

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 2:11 pm
My opinion:
Any restrictive diet needs to be kept up until the day you die for it to continue keeping the weight you lost down.
If a person is not ready to commit to said restrictions for the rest of their life then it will just backfire, and they will generally gain back more than they lost when they started.

Especially if she is healthy and in a good weight range, she will abuse her metabolism and ruin it for life.

She will look back and wish to be 127 again.

Promoting healthy eating and exercise is the only way to go.

Thanks for listening…..

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 2:17 pm
I fully agree with you. The question is, when is it normal teen angst and when is it the start of an eating disorder?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 2:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
I fully agree with you. The question is, when is it normal teen angst and when is it the start of an eating disorder?

I think encourage her to love her curves and find married curvy women as examples that many men like women with curves. My guess is that her angst comes from other girls not herself. It is very hard to be confident that your curvy body is nice, it sounds like hers is. But when others worship slim, any teen might feel insecure. I think maybe let her know that eating disorders are very bad for organs and fertility, moderately scare her about the pitfalls of an ED and hope for the best.

mamaleh

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 3:29 pm
I would recommend speaking to her pediatrician. Any restrictive diet (especially at that age) should only be done with doctor’s advice (& supervision).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise