Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Are you careful about recycling garbage?
1  2  Next

Are you careful about recycling?
Yes and I own a house  
 33%  [ 62 ]
Yes and I rent  
 14%  [ 27 ]
No, and I own a house  
 27%  [ 52 ]
No and I rent  
 13%  [ 26 ]
Doesn't apply to me as much, live in a building  
 8%  [ 15 ]
I recycle everything PLUS food compose  
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 186

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 3:22 pm
See poll

I'm not

If you do recycle, do you do it in blue bags?

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 3:23 pm
Literally don't care about it at all. Sue me. It's a scam anyway.

tweety1

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 3:41 pm
Depends what. I have a recyle garbage but does everything that needs recycling go in there? 85%. Food compose? Never. My tenant asked me about recycling I told her to put everything in black garbage bags and keep a secret lol. Only boxes I told her to dispose the right way.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 3:57 pm
Big cardboard and wood I recycle. My husband hates the concept so we put everything else together. They take it anyway. We own a house. Even when we rented we weren't careful.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 3:59 pm
I'm careful to recycle unless the thing we're recycling is dirty. I'm jot washing my garbage.

Why would it be put in a blue bag though? I just put it out in the recycling bin. I don't even know where I would find blue bags.

amother
Fern

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 4:17 pm
You should specify location. Growing up in Brooklyn, bottles and foil went into one can with a blue bag and paper went into a different can with a clear bag. I now live in Lakewood and they have very different recycling laws. Bottles and boxes go right into the yellow can, no bag.

amother
Cognac

Post Sat, Nov 18 2023, 5:44 pm
I recycle plastic bottles only because it annoys me in the garbage can. I'm happy I can "save the world" at the same time.

amother
Pistachio

Post Sat, Nov 18 2023, 6:17 pm
I generally recycle but if something is super greasy/hard to clean then I just toss. If it's just a quick rinse I'll do it. I've been throwing out pb jars Hiding

rainbow dash

Post Sat, Nov 18 2023, 6:24 pm
Here in Belgium, it's law. We have blue bags for plastic, white bags for regular garbage, and cartons go together. And yes we have to pay for the bags. If you don't the garbage men don't take it, they put a sticker on your bag and you have to take it home then get rid of it the next week. They are very strict here.

fleetwood

Post Sat, Nov 18 2023, 6:47 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Depends what. I have a recyle garbage but does everything that needs recycling go in there? 85%. Food compose? Never. My tenant asked me about recycling I told her to put everything in black garbage bags and keep a secret lol. Only boxes I told her to dispose the right way.

Sanitation rips open bags to check. You'll get a ticket

syrima

Post Sat, Nov 18 2023, 7:01 pm
We recycled all the years in an apartment unless it was a very dirty aluminum pan or something.
Now we have a house and we do composting too.
It makes a lot of sense to me. And once you train kids it's not so much harder.

amother
Springgreen

Post Sat, Nov 18 2023, 7:55 pm
Yes. I own an apt

tweety1

Post Sat, Nov 18 2023, 8:21 pm
fleetwood wrote:
Sanitation rips open bags to check. You'll get a ticket

They never ever did. Not on my old block not on my new one.

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Nov 18 2023, 8:24 pm
I separate out boxes and bigger plastic containers but people saw the workers dumping the recycling back with the regular.

amother
Peony

Post Sat, Nov 18 2023, 8:26 pm
We try but we’re not as good as we could be. Boxes and bulky plastics always go to recycle bec they take up too much room in the kitchen garbage otherwis. Cans and small bottles I get lazy but try to make an effort.

amother
Emerald

Post Sat, Nov 18 2023, 10:14 pm
I don't recycle garbage. I recycle recyclables: metal, paper, plastic, and glass. Garbage is everything else: carrot peels, chicken bones, plant trimmings, used tissues, hair cleaned out of my hairbrush, used dental floss, empty toothpaste tubes, used diapers, etc. And the food waste and plant trimmings I contribute to a compost project. I would compost my garbage, but I live in an apartment and am not willing to have a compost pile inside my home. But what does that have to do with anything? You think I'm less environmentally responsible because I'm not a homeowner? Or because any fines would be borne by the landlord and not by me? I recycle because it's the right thing to do, period.

amother
Jasmine

Post Sat, Nov 18 2023, 10:15 pm
I recycled every single thing carefully for years until I read that NYC doesn't actually recycle our recycling garbage, now I don't care.

amother
Steel

Post Sat, Nov 18 2023, 10:40 pm
I recycle all bottles, bins, large containers. We have a recycle can. I live in Monsey area, and everyone around here recycles.

amother
Blueberry

Post Sat, Nov 18 2023, 10:50 pm
I recycle only because where I live were limited with the amount of garbage I can put out a week. I use mainly disposable and almost fill my limit weekly. I don't think I'm ruining the environment by using disposable not recycling...

amother
Purple

Post Sat, Nov 18 2023, 11:10 pm
Why would owning or renting make a difference here?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry