Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Ner Yisrael Mesivta for OOT

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 1:45 pm
What is the current climate like in the Ner Yisrael Mesivtas for a boy from OOT who will dorm?
What type of boys? Level learning? Sports? Shabbos? Thank you!

amother
Hydrangea

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 3:18 pm
I don't send to Ner Yisroel, but live in the community.

I did do some research as I have a boy looking into yeshivos currently. It sounds very solid. They have 3 shiurim, so there will be a mix of strengths in learning--some very strong some less so.

I know great boys who went there or are currently there in the mesivta and beis medresh.

amother
Ballota

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 3:25 pm
Also live in the community. I believe that for shabbosim in high school, local boys go home every other week but boys who dorm are required to be in for shabbos (I think this is only for 9th and 10th grade). They provide the full shabbos with an oneg, meals, etc.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 6:31 pm
In Ner Yisroel, high school is called mechina.

In the beginning there are 3 shiurim but by 11th grade, they're combined into 2.

No official sports but very accepted to play basketball, football, etc on a Friday after shiur before Shabbos. They're working on building a gym.

Boys are regular mainstream boys from a range of families, high level of learning but with a lower shiur for those who need to ease into it. Secular studies are taken seriously. Very good hanhala, very balanced and reachable. BH we have had lots of positive experience and most of their decisions I've agreed with and if not then at least I respected where it was coming from.

It's a great environment for a bochur to be able to gravitate how he'd like without external pressure. There are additional learning opportunities that are optional and no one judges a bochur if he chooses not to take advantage of them. The boys are motivated to do well on their own level without the need for reward systems (bribes)

We've been able to have individualized decisions for our son's benefit despite it being a larger Yeshiva and I don't take that for granted.

Communication is well done and I appreciate that in a school. I urge anyone considering this Yeshiva to look at their website nirc.edu and watch the recent video on their mechina page to get a good grasp of it. It's not a 3 minute campaign video but rather a drop longer that goes into more depth.

There's also a podcast with Rabbi Cook I can link to if anyone wants that I felt gave me a great appreciation of his derech.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 13 2023, 6:32 pm
amother Ballota wrote:
Also live in the community. I believe that for shabbosim in high school, local boys go home every other week but boys who dorm are required to be in for shabbos (I think this is only for 9th and 10th grade). They provide the full shabbos with an oneg, meals, etc.

There's an off shabbos about every 4-5 weeks and in between those there's an in town optional off shabbos for local 9th and 10th graders.

amother
Birch

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 8:55 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
In Ner Yisroel, high school is called mechina.

In the beginning there are 3 shiurim but by 11th grade, they're combined into 2.

No official sports but very accepted to play basketball, football, etc on a Friday after shiur before Shabbos. They're working on building a gym.

Boys are regular mainstream boys from a range of families, high level of learning but with a lower shiur for those who need to ease into it. Secular studies are taken seriously. Very good hanhala, very balanced and reachable. BH we have had lots of positive experience and most of their decisions I've agreed with and if not then at least I respected where it was coming from.

It's a great environment for a bochur to be able to gravitate how he'd like without external pressure. There are additional learning opportunities that are optional and no one judges a bochur if he chooses not to take advantage of them. The boys are motivated to do well on their own level without the need for reward systems (bribes)

We've been able to have individualized decisions for our son's benefit despite it being a larger Yeshiva and I don't take that for granted.

Communication is well done and I appreciate that in a school. I urge anyone considering this Yeshiva to look at their website nirc.edu and watch the recent video on their mechina page to get a good grasp of it. It's not a 3 minute campaign video but rather a drop longer that goes into more depth.

There's also a podcast with Rabbi Cook I can link to if anyone wants that I felt gave me a great appreciation of his derech.

Hashem yaazor, please link the podcast, thank you! My sons are at Ner and I am a huge fan of Rabbi Cook and would love to see it, thank you

Tova

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 12:06 pm
I think this is it?

https://chinuchtodaypodcast.po.....roel/

And I agree that the promotional video at nirc.edu is fantastic (I saw my son on it 3x!). We have had B"H a wonderful experience at this yeshiva and anyone can feel free to PM me.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 5:17 pm
Yes, that's the link. I also was able to catch my son a few times. The fact that both of us could find our boys in a Yeshiva with hundreds of students really shows that no bochur is lost...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics