Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Questions about your profession and salary
  Previous  1  2  3 8 9  10  11  Next

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 3:06 pm
amother Mustard wrote:
Yeah, I went to a top tier undergrad on full academic scholarship so I already had some excellent schooling behind me for resume purposes. Also, I found a lower end law school that was top tier for my specialty so it actually worked very well. Bh!

In the end I got married and had my first baby while in law school and lost all interest in working for a firm, so the higher tier school really meant nothing. I've worked for myself from home all the years while also raising my kids full time. No regrets bh. Everything works out how it's meant to.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 3:12 pm
amother Viola wrote:
In the end I got married and had my first baby while in law school and lost all interest in working for a firm, so the higher tier school really meant nothing. I've worked for myself from home all the years while also raising my kids full time. No regrets bh. Everything works out how it's meant to.

For sure! I struggled to get pregnant and finally had my oldest before starting law school. She was 10 months old when I began and it took another 5 years to get pregnant again. It's beautiful to work for yourself and be there for your family. Well done!

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 3:16 pm
amother Snow wrote:
150k a year special ed

Is this in public school? Regular teacher? Admin?

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 3:52 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
10+ years experience as a Software Engineer, I have my masters.
160k + bonus, great benefits (they match 10k of my 401k contribution), work from home, great flexibility and work life balance.
I am incredibly grateful and realize how lucky I am.

how many hours a wk? I have same credentials but making much less. 25 hours a wk.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 4:19 pm
amother Jade wrote:
how many hours a wk? I have same credentials but making much less. 25 hours a wk.

Technically it is a 40 hour work week but I typically work a little less. 9:30 to 4 and sign off earlier on Friday. Company doesn't track days off and there is unlimited PTO.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 4:27 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
Technically it is a 40 hour work week but I typically work a little less. 9:30 to 4 and sign off earlier on Friday. Company doesn't track days off and there is unlimited PTO.

that's awesome! is it a Jewish company? where are they located?

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 5:42 pm
amother Amber wrote:
Can I ask what setting? Recent grad trying to explore my options

Clinical setting. Would hope to break 200k within the next 5-10 years.

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 7:19 pm
amother Purple wrote:
I am a lawyer and I work for the federal government. I make approximately 125k but the flexibility and benefits are beyond incredible. I’ve been full time from home for years.

Prior to working from home, did you have to go in?

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 7:22 pm
amother Amber wrote:
I didn’t start working yet but nope Smile and yes I have a lot of student debt, but I love the field and can’t think of another job I’d be happy doing! Hashem will provide IYH. In the meantime work on finishing your degree, worrying about the future won’t help you get a better/different job!

Do you have kids yet? You probably need the money if you do? Also, I see multiple pharmacists that don’t begin working straight out of pharmacy school, why is that?

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 7:25 pm
amother Mustard wrote:
I was 55k pre-bar admission, pay bump to 60k as soon as fully licensed. Then went up to 75k, 90k, 110k, 120k, to 175k to 200k, plus bonuses and origination (20% of whatever you bring into the practice). My 20% added up fast and led the firm to offer partnership when I was there for only 4 years. I declined at first but then agreed at year 5. Year 10, I took my practice, people and left to go off on my own. Just to clarify, I went to a bottom level school but graduated with no student loans because of scholarships.

That’s incredible! How old were you when you graduated?

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 7:26 pm
amother Mustard wrote:
Yeah, I went to a top tier undergrad on full academic scholarship so I already had some excellent schooling behind me for resume purposes. Also, I found a lower end law school that was top tier for my specialty so it actually worked very well. Bh!

What is your speciality?

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 7:27 pm
amother Mustard wrote:
For sure! I struggled to get pregnant and finally had my oldest before starting law school. She was 10 months old when I began and it took another 5 years to get pregnant again. It's beautiful to work for yourself and be there for your family. Well done!

How old were you when you started?

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 7:28 pm
amother White wrote:
What is your speciality?

I wish I could say but it's such a small field, it could out me. I was 27 when I graduated law school.

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 7:28 pm
amother Jetblack wrote:
Clinical setting. Would hope to break 200k within the next 5-10 years.

Is it true that they barely give raises and that retail makes more?

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 7:30 pm
amother Mustard wrote:
I wish I could say but it's such a small field, it could out me. I was 27 when I graduated law school.

I guess it worked well for you that you weren’t pregnant and giving birth during law school?

mfb

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 7:32 pm
amother Lightcyan wrote:
Don’t feel bad about your salary, if you factor in your hours (working about 3.5 hours per day), and all the time off , about 15 weeks per year, you’re coming out ahead of those working full time all year making 80k.

Teachers have many hours of work at home preparing/marking….
They don’t only work 3.5 hours a day.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 7:36 pm
amother White wrote:
I guess it worked well for you that you weren’t pregnant and giving birth during law school?

It was horrible, actually. Infertility is never easy and seeing all my friends on child 4 or 5 while I had my precious one, was really difficult. After I graduated and started working, we were shocked to find out I was pregnant. Naturally! It was such a gift. Since my son was born, we kept getting pregnant and losing each one. Then my second son came along and he was, bh, born a healthy baby. Unfortunately, I can't have anymore children after him because of complications but my three little ones are everything.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 8:09 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
how did you calculate that?

I think I was stingy with my estimate of 80k. It’s probably more like 90k once you factor 29k for 3.5 hours per day for approx 37 weeks per year , which is the amount of weeks on average that a frum school is in session, adjusted to 8 hours per day 52 weeks per year. That’s way more than double the hours, plus all the vacation days.
The vacation days of a teacher are the most days off per year in ANY field.
Also, an experienced teacher doesn’t have to do all that much out of school hours. I know this because my mother is a teacher and after the first few years she doesn’t have that much prep at home. It becomes natural at a certain point to teach the same curriculum year after year.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 8:13 pm
amother White wrote:
Prior to working from home, did you have to go in?

For the first two years, I went in Tuesday-Thursday, 6-3:30 PM, home for the kids when they got home, and was home Mondays and Fridays.

amother
Obsidian

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 8:15 pm
amother Honeydew wrote:
Is this in public school? Regular teacher? Admin?

Yes, I would also be very curios as to this position.
I B'H make very nicely in special ed but I work multiple jobs and have high level positions with experience
Page 9 of 11   Previous  1  2  3 8 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics