Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Questions about your profession and salary
  Previous  1  2  3 7  8 9  10  11  Next

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:23 pm
amother Amber wrote:
Can I ask what setting? Recent grad trying to explore my options

Oh you’re a pharmacist too? Do you regret it?

amother
Kiwi

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:25 pm
amother White wrote:
When you graduate close to 30 and spent close to 200 k on tuition it’s horrific.

Did you not know the earning potential vs cost of education when you chose this degree?

That does sound like a lot to spend on your education, but there are cheaper options for getting degrees and not everyone will have the same amount of debt. Sonit doesn't seem right to discourage everyone from what seems like a good career

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:26 pm
amother Azalea wrote:
Also a SLP. What do you specialize in that you're making that? Whats your other business that youre making an additional 200k? How many years out of your CFY are you making that? Hate this field and this job. Makes pennies and my student loans are crazy. Havent had luck getting into DOE. Got my cs last year....

That’s how I feel about pharmacy

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:30 pm
amother White wrote:
Oh you’re a pharmacist too? Do you regret it?
I didn’t start working yet but nope Smile and yes I have a lot of student debt, but I love the field and can’t think of another job I’d be happy doing! Hashem will provide IYH. In the meantime work on finishing your degree, worrying about the future won’t help you get a better/different job!

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:32 pm
A general rule of thumb is that, if you hate your profession, you are not going to do well in it. People who are successful in their career tend to find a niche that they really like. Then they build up their skills and, along with that, their reputation. If you are looking for an easy way out you are probably not going to be super successful.

With that being said, I am no way implying that people who are being underpaid are not working hard and trying their best. We have to do our hishtadlus but the outcome is not in our hands.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:35 pm
10+ years experience as a Software Engineer, I have my masters.
160k + bonus, great benefits (they match 10k of my 401k contribution), work from home, great flexibility and work life balance.
I am incredibly grateful and realize how lucky I am.

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:36 pm
amother Amber wrote:
I didn’t start working yet but nope Smile and yes I have a lot of student debt, but I love the field and can’t think of another job I’d be happy doing! Hashem will provide IYH. In the meantime work on finishing your degree, worrying about the future won’t help you get a better/different job!

You graduated spring 2023? Do you mind me asking how old were you when you graduated?

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:39 pm
amother White wrote:
You graduated spring 2023? Do you mind me asking how old were you when you graduated?
yup! Well I started college right away and I got a bachelors+4 years graduate school. You can do the math Very Happy

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:48 pm
amother Amber wrote:
yup! Well I started college right away and I got a bachelors+4 years graduate school. You can do the math Very Happy

A regular 4 year bachelors?

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:53 pm
amother Mustard wrote:
Bh, I'm very blessed. I worked my way to this from 55k, fresh out of law school, to making 250k at my prior firm, plus bonuses. Going off on my own made financial sense and provided for personal autonomy. I can work less, with much lower stress, and be there for my family. Before, I was killing myself, unappreciated and missing my family a lot. But yes, I worked like a dog for years and years. Now I can finally breathe 😌
I usually spend summers working with my laptop from the pool in our yard. One of the best perks 👌

How long did you work at your 55 k job? This sounds typical for a law student out of a prestigious law school. So, good for you to building up to that!

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:55 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
Part time computer programmer
$90k/year net - no benefits

Yes, computers is very good too

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:56 pm
amother Seablue wrote:
Do you have friends or relatives who are lawyers?
They don't all rake it in.

Depends on law school, if it’s top 20 many do

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:57 pm
amother Anemone wrote:
Aka runs the business

This sounds more my type than pharmacy. What would I need to do this type of job?

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 1:01 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
Thanks amother mustard! I will email you.
Amother purple, would you be willing to share some thoughts as well? As I mentioned, I’m graduating law school soon and would love to get in touch with other frum women about making a career in law work.

Just don’t work past 5, work a regular 9-5 job.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 1:06 pm
amother White wrote:
This sounds more my type than pharmacy. What would I need to do this type of job?
can I suggest you start a spin off?

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 1:31 pm
I work for the department of education in NY. I worked 9 years and make over 100,000 plus massive benefits of pension, dental insurance, health insurance. Which added up is worth over 50,000 a year. Summers off, all legal holidays, plus 3 weeks of vacation a year of xmas break, president's week, pesach vacation. Grateful. I love my job.

amother
Aconite

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 1:51 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
full time?
also - what was your path to this position? what led up to it?

About 32 hours in office + more from home, officially full time.

I had tremendous siyata dishmaya. Started in an unrelated degree dependent field, moved to management there, was recruited by my current company based on a personal recommendation from someone I had previously managed, took the risk of moving to this field and company at the same salary but lower level position, and BH had success in that initial position that led to a promotion to my current one.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 2:38 pm
amother White wrote:
How long did you work at your 55 k job? This sounds typical for a law student out of a prestigious law school. So, good for you to building up to that!

I was 55k pre-bar admission, pay bump to 60k as soon as fully licensed. Then went up to 75k, 90k, 110k, 120k, to 175k to 200k, plus bonuses and origination (20% of whatever you bring into the practice). My 20% added up fast and led the firm to offer partnership when I was there for only 4 years. I declined at first but then agreed at year 5. Year 10, I took my practice, people and left to go off on my own. Just to clarify, I went to a bottom level school but graduated with no student loans because of scholarships.

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 2:46 pm
amother Mustard wrote:
I was 55k pre-bar admission, pay bump to 60k as soon as fully licensed. Then went up to 75k, 90k, 110k, 120k, to 175k to 200k, plus bonuses and origination (20% of whatever you bring into the practice). My 20% added up fast and led the firm to offer partnership when I was there for only 4 years. I declined at first but then agreed at year 5. Year 10, I took my practice, people and left to go off on my own. Just to clarify, I went to a bottom level school but graduated with no student loans because of scholarships.

This was very smart. I turned down a scholarship at a lower tier law school to go to a higher tier school without a scholarship. My student loans were still relatively low because interest rates were low at the time I graduated, but no loans would have been better.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 2:51 pm
amother Viola wrote:
This was very smart. I turned down a scholarship at a lower tier law school to go to a higher tier school without a scholarship. My student loans were still relatively low because interest rates were low at the time I graduated, but no loans would have been better.

Yeah, I went to a top tier undergrad on full academic scholarship so I already had some excellent schooling behind me for resume purposes. Also, I found a lower end law school that was top tier for my specialty so it actually worked very well. Bh!
Page 8 of 11   Previous  1  2  3 7  8 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics