Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Questions about your profession and salary
  Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 9  10  11  Next

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 9:45 am
amother White wrote:
Love it! Law is where it’s at! Your husband probably doesn’t even have to work. Where did you go to law school?

He doesn't but I need him to for my own sanity, LOL. Went to a lower level law school but made sure I was top of the class. Also, I'm highly specialized so that's part of why my firm does so well.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 9:51 am
amother Trillium wrote:
amother mustard, I’d love to get in touch with you and hear more about your professional journey. I am iyH graduating law school soon, with a job offer at a big law firm - but I’m concerned about the lifestyle.
It would be great to get your perspective, if you’d be willing to share.

Sure! Happy to share some thoughts. Email me at memberofthebarNYS2008@gmail.com.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 10:31 am
I am a computer programmer for the US Federal Government. I have over 20 years experience. I make about 120k. (They do require a minimum of a bachelors degree). If I want a higher, more stressful position, I could be making a little more.

I could move to private industry for more money, but the benefits are good and the flexibility is amazing. (I work full time, but it means putting in my hours between 6 am and 6 pm. I get sick days that can be used for my myself and family members for doctors appointments or illness, I get a decent number of vacation days plus the ability to make up time for yom tov. ) I currently work exclusively from home the last 3 1/2 years, but hear rumors that may be ending soon to a hybrid plan.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 10:46 am
I am a lawyer and I work for the federal government. I make approximately 125k but the flexibility and benefits are beyond incredible. I’ve been full time from home for years.

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:01 am
I'm seriously loving this discussion
thanks everyone
purple and snowdrop totally fascinating

amother
Mimosa

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:19 am
I work as an SLP in the public schools. I work the equivalent of 4 days a week (but split it over 5 for shorter days) and have great benefits! I’m making about 70k this year, but would be making close to 90k if I worked full-time. If I work summer school, I can make even more…

BH so thankful for my job!

amother
Trillium

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:45 am
Thanks amother mustard! I will email you.
Amother purple, would you be willing to share some thoughts as well? As I mentioned, I’m graduating law school soon and would love to get in touch with other frum women about making a career in law work.

amother
Kiwi

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:54 am
amother Snowdrop wrote:
I am a computer programmer for the US Federal Government. I have over 20 years experience. I make about 120k. (They do require a minimum of a bachelors degree). If I want a higher, more stressful position, I could be making a little more.

I could move to private industry for more money, but the benefits are good and the flexibility is amazing. (I work full time, but it means putting in my hours between 6 am and 6 pm. I get sick days that can be used for my myself and family members for doctors appointments or illness, I get a decent number of vacation days plus the ability to make up time for yom tov. ) I currently work exclusively from home the last 3 1/2 years, but hear rumors that may be ending soon to a hybrid plan.

Government agencies (not including the intelligence agencies) are no longer allowed to require a degree, although it can still be used a substitute for experience.

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 11:59 am
amother Mustard wrote:
He doesn't but I need him to for my own sanity, LOL. Went to a lower level law school but made sure I was top of the class. Also, I'm highly specialized so that's part of why my firm does so well.

What kind of law do you do?

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:00 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
amother mustard, I’d love to get in touch with you and hear more about your professional journey. I am iyH graduating law school soon, with a job offer at a big law firm - but I’m concerned about the lifestyle.
It would be great to get your perspective, if you’d be willing to share.

That’s incredible. Normally big law firms pay a lot.

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:01 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
Someone posted their pharmacist salary and it seems like a good income.

It’s peanuts compared to doctors or lawyers

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:04 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
is that the same like medical billing?
do you need schooling or special talent for this?

I have is a high school diploma. Started at entry level and learned how to do it. After 3 years left my first job and been in my current job since. I live in Lakewood where they are always looks for medical billers.

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:07 pm
amother Jetblack wrote:
Pharmacist. 35 hrs per week, more on occasion (and less on occasion). 170k plus full benefits.

Is it true that pharmacists don’t make more over time? Will you always be stuck at 170 k or can you get raises? I got the impression that we get stuck at that range from when we begin. This is why I regret my choice.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:09 pm
I'm another SLP who works in a public school but I'm not in NY so the pay scale is way lower. I am making 80K gross this year (15+ years in) but that comes out to about 50K net after health insurance contributions, association dues, pension contributions, etc. I work 35 hours a week and commute about 40 minutes each way. I love my job and am very thankful for it but I am definitely struggling financially.

justforfun87

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:14 pm
My salary is public so might as well post it. I make appx 85k as a school nurse in MD with 13 years of experience. That is working 10 months out of 12. I can pick up half day summer school for appx 3500-4k more for that month (pays very well) It is on the teachers union pay scale.

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:16 pm
amother Fuchsia wrote:
Mind if I ask what field? In school currently and exploring my options. Thanks!!

Nursing is a good profession, go for it! Regret my choice. Law is good too. My husband went into law and is bh more successful than me. I feel like I’m losing money more than gaining at this point. I feel broke and am happy I didn’t marry a rabbi or kollel guy because I couldn’t afford being in debt with tuition plus needing to support a frum family. Stay away from pharmacy.

amother
Kiwi

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:16 pm
amother White wrote:
Is it true that pharmacists don’t make more over time? Will you always be stuck at 170 k or can you get raises? I got the impression that we get stuck at that range from when we begin. This is why I regret my choice.

You think 170 is a bad salary? For less than 40 hours?

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:21 pm
amother Jetblack wrote:
Pharmacist. 35 hrs per week, more on occasion (and less on occasion). 170k plus full benefits.
Can I ask what setting? Recent grad trying to explore my options

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:21 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
You think 170 is a bad salary? For less than 40 hours?

When you graduate close to 30 and spent close to 200 k on tuition it’s horrific.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jan 09 2024, 12:22 pm
Where are all the Brooklyn and Lakewooders in the mom and pop shop offices?

$56k
Page 7 of 11   Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics