Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening
What can I grow in a basement?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 1:54 pm
I would like to bring some plants into my apartment.

Very inexperienced here but love real plants and the calm feelings they bring.

What would grow nicely in a basement without much natural light? Either on a windowsill or a floor plant although that would have to be nontoxic because I have toddlers.

Thanks!

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 2:00 pm
MOLD! LOL

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 2:00 pm
You have a windowsill. Does it get sun? How cold is the basement?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 2:01 pm
amother Bronze wrote:
MOLD! LOL

Lol!

It's extremely low maintenance too LOL

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 2:02 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
You have a windowsill. Does it get sun? How cold is the basement?

It gets some sun.

We keep the temperature in the apartment around 70 F.

amother
Tealblue

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 2:02 pm
We had a plant, it was indestructible too. Some sort of succulent.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 2:05 pm
Here's a list though. Only issue is that many are poisonous to cats and some to kids:

Bromeliads—These indoor plants can grow with only artificial lighting.
Snake plants—Excellent houseplants for rooms with little natural light.
Calathea plants—Occasional sunlight can help keep foliage colorful and exciting.
Peace lilies—Direct sunlight isn’t good for their leaf color, but they still produce flowers in low-light.
Cast-iron plant—This hardy green leafy plant grows in any kind of light or shady environment.
Golden pothos for hanging baskets—An excellent choice for a trailing vine plant where light is at a minimum.
Dragon tree—Colorful foliage where there isn’t much sun – it is the choice feature of this low-light, low-maintenance plant.
Monsteras—Species of Monsteras can tolerate low light and are trendy houseplants in modern homes.
Parlor palm—This aesthetic plant brings the tropics to any room or office where you only have artificial light or minimal natural light.
Prayer plants—These easy-care plants grow well in moderate light and don’t like too much sun.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 2:05 pm
Get an AeroGarden and follow the directions.

They can be got cheap, used, on the used-goods bulletin boards. You can also make your own sponge foam planter inserts and use your own seeds.

If that's complicated, buy a new one and follow the directions. It has its own lamp. It plugs in.

One lady on the internet had eight used ones, ha ha. Do some searching about 'how to make your own inserts for aerogarden' if you want to do that.

A fine thing for getting your vitamins. Plant EDIBLE plants. Not ornamentals. Well, ideally.

Last edited by Dolly Welsh on Mon, Jan 08 2024, 2:08 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 2:06 pm
Here's a list though. Only issue is that many are poisonous to cats and some to kids:

...I think the Angel/ Telephone pole plant grows with very little light.

Calathea plants—Occasional sunlight can help keep foliage colorful and exciting.
Peace lilies—Direct sunlight isn’t good for their leaf color, but they still produce flowers in low-light.
Cast-iron plant—This hardy green leafy plant grows in any kind of light or shady environment.
Golden pothos for hanging baskets—An excellent choice for a trailing vine plant where light is at a minimum.
Dragon tree—Colorful foliage where there isn’t much sun – it is the choice feature of this low-light, low-maintenance plant.
Monsteras—Species of Monsteras can tolerate low light and are trendy houseplants in modern homes.
Parlor palm—This aesthetic plant brings the tropics to any room or office where you only have artificial light or minimal natural light.
Prayer plants—These easy-care plants grow well in moderate light and don’t like too much sun.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 2:16 pm
amother Bronze wrote:

Thank you! I guess I would need to look at the toxicity for each of these. Although I tried to google one or two and different sources said different things.

I also hadn't thought of hanging as an option, but that's a good idea as well.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 2:17 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Get an AeroGarden and follow the directions.

They can be got cheap, used, on the used-goods bulletin boards. You can also make your own sponge foam planter inserts and use your own seeds.

If that's complicated, buy a new one and follow the directions. It has its own lamp. It plugs in.

One lady on the internet had eight used ones, ha ha. Do some searching about 'how to make your own inserts for aerogarden' if you want to do that.

A fine thing for getting your vitamins. Plant EDIBLE plants. Not ornamentals. Well, ideally.

Thanks! I used to have a mint plant and a basil plant but maybe I took off too many leaves or watered them wrong or something because they didn't last very long.

gamanit

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 2:26 pm
If you buy grow lights you can grow pretty much anything.

amother
Fern

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 2:28 pm
An orchid grows in a pot like a plant but it’s a flower. All it needs is a few ice cubes a week

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 2:54 pm
amother Fern wrote:
An orchid grows in a pot like a plant but it’s a flower. All it needs is a few ice cubes a week

All flowers grow on plants.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 3:09 pm
Plant an herb garden your windowsill. I have mint, basil, parsley, cilantro. Really brings your cooking up a notch.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 3:12 pm
Philodendron

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 3:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks! I used to have a mint plant and a basil plant but maybe I took off too many leaves or watered them wrong or something because they didn't last very long.

Those need a lot of light.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 4:38 pm
I have a philodendron, a pothos, a snake plant, and a haworthia. They are all on my window sill. They also all have mold spores on them. I'm not sure how they're not dead yet. I also don't water them much.

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 5:26 pm
amother Bronze wrote:
MOLD! LOL

I was going to say weed, but mold is also good.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 5:45 pm
amother Acacia wrote:
I was going to say weed, but mold is also good.

My first thought too when I saw this title.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening