Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
SNAP best amount

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 4:10 pm
Can anyone advise on the best amount to be making on the books for snap benefits in NYC? For a couple with a baby
I have flexibility because of parsonage
If you don't like this, don't help me out with advice. You can skip

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 5:06 pm
would have to see the snap limit amount and earn less than that. (also I beleive they will look into your savings account and possibly also your checking account)

We personally get snap and medicaid. While I am not advising you here like you requested... I am just saying that if are making significantly high enough money and want to cut multiple hours to get snap you should double think if its worth it (this is different than medicaid which offer much more) as with all the hassle of SNAP it sometimes just pays to have more money through earnings... (while with medicaid I would say only if you are making a super high amount due to taxes etc...)

amother
Wandflower

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 5:30 pm
reach out to UJO

amother
Heather

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 6:15 pm
Search for snap calculator online.
You can put in info- rent, utilities, income etc. it will give you an idea. It is not an application. Just a tool to help you see if your eligible and what the benefit amount could be.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can anyone advise on the best amount to be making on the books for snap benefits in NYC? For a couple with a baby
I have flexibility because of parsonage
If you don't like this, don't help me out with advice. You can skip

Just so you know parsonage is NOT working "off the books".

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:56 pm
amother Wandflower wrote:
reach out to UJO

What's that?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:56 pm
amother Heather wrote:
Search for snap calculator online.
You can put in info- rent, utilities, income etc. it will give you an idea. It is not an application. Just a tool to help you see if your eligible and what the benefit amount could be.

Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 8:57 pm
amother Sapphire wrote:
would have to see the snap limit amount and earn less than that. (also I beleive they will look into your savings account and possibly also your checking account)

We personally get snap and medicaid. While I am not advising you here like you requested... I am just saying that if are making significantly high enough money and want to cut multiple hours to get snap you should double think if its worth it (this is different than medicaid which offer much more) as with all the hassle of SNAP it sometimes just pays to have more money through earnings... (while with medicaid I would say only if you are making a super high amount due to taxes etc...)

Can you explain more about the difference?

amother
Chestnut

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can you explain more about the difference?

She's saying that you shouldn't decline a raise or cut your hours to be eligible for snap. It doesn't pay in the long run.

A few dollars more of snap vs hours of paid income.

Regarding Medicaid, that's not something you can put a price on.
It's important to have health insurance. It not weird to reject a raise to stay eligible for insurance. Premiums, copay, meds can cost in the thousands. $50 more of snap, even multipled by 12 months, is not so much

UJO is an organization in Williamsburg that helps you apply for programs. But they'll make you come down in person.
Do the online calculators as others said above.

tryinghard

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:20 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:
Just so you know parsonage is NOT working "off the books".

This. Income for SNAP and Medicaid is not the same as taxable income. For example, they consider gift money, even if it’s below the taxable threshold. Be careful.

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 9:26 pm
Snap is different than Medicaid in that the amount they give you goes down as your income goes up. They have a convoluted formula and you can use an online calculator to estimate. But, for example, (I'm making up numbers here) if eligibility is income up to $3000 a month, and you make $2900 a month, you'll get a pittance. But if you made $2000 a month, you'd get a more substantial amount. So in general, the less you make, the more they'll give. But they also factor in your rent, childcare expenses, utilities. There is a max amount per family size.

I don't believe they care about your savings. Only to know if you qualify to skip the line because you have literally nothing.

I don't understand parsonage, so I can't comment on that.

Ujo is a Williamsburg organization that actually helps people, even if you're not from Williamsburg.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Feb 07 2024, 11:26 pm
tryinghard wrote:
This. Income for SNAP and Medicaid is not the same as taxable income. For example, they consider gift money, even if it’s below the taxable threshold. Be careful.

According to this, it seems like parsonage is not excluded income for SNAP
https://govt.westlaw.com/nycrr.....lt%29

Parsonage was created to help with Medicaid, so it's definitely helpful there.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 12:27 am
Parsonage counts for income in the state of NJ. It’s fraud to not include it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries