Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Is this considered stealing

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 8:13 am
This year I want to have a theme
This theme is from a “brand” or existing food business
Is it ok to use the “brand” or is it stealing
For example
Can one copy the Starbucks logo
Can one dress like a mail carrier and ups on the packages
These are examples that I’ve see

Also there is a company of a certain food item that calls it one way in the us and another way in israel. I know for sure it’s the same company.
Can I “rebrand” it to the other name

OTOH - my DH says you are promoting the companies
And it’s such a small amount compared to the millions these companies make.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 8:17 am
They allow it for personal use like dress up. Starbucks even has official costumes now. The only stealing part would be opening a business with a copy of a logo. No problems using it for fun at all.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 8:19 am
amother Linen wrote:
They allow it for personal use like dress up. Starbucks even has official costumes now. The only stealing part would be opening a business with a copy of a logo. No problems using it for fun at all.

Ok
So for example (not what I’m doing) I can put the store logo on a baggie and package my own cookie?

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 8:20 am
amother OP wrote:
Ok
So for example (not what I’m doing) I can put the store logo on a baggie and package my own cookie?

For Purim yes

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 8:21 am
You are giving them free advertising!

SunnyDayz

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:33 am
As others said, this is not for financial gain. You're not making money off of it, you're using it for costumes and things you're giving out for free. Totally fine.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:42 am
amother Linen wrote:
This, you are also offering them free advertising with no effort or cost on their part. Win win

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:50 am
As others said, the issue is with making money off their logo. Nothing wrong with a Purim theme, or a themed birthday party or something like that.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:54 am
Sounds like anxiety.

amother
Moonstone

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 1:20 am
I would be worried about using the logo on a wrapper of an individual item... you want it to be clear that it is your food and not from the store. For hechsher reasons and because they may not like you using it on items similar to what they sell in case yours isn't the same. Eg. Putting a fake Starbucks logo on a coffee drink. Not everyone drinks from Starbucks and even if it was something usually under a reliable hechsher, someone may not like it and it turns them off of Starbucks.

Will they prosecute copyright infringement? Likely they will never know. But because we need to be honest and yashar? I would make it slightly different. Add in your name on the label or something to differentiate.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 1:28 am
If it's a parody there is no issue at all.

So if you changed Starbucks to Steinbergs and used a very similar logo etc. no problem.

I would avoid using the original logo as if they actually manufactured whatever product you're giving out, like branding your homemade coffee as Starbucks, even on Purim.

amother
Canary

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 5:24 am
amother Vermilion wrote:
If it's a parody there is no issue at all.

So if you changed Starbucks to Steinbergs and used a very similar logo etc. no problem.

I would avoid using the original logo as if they actually manufactured whatever product you're giving out, like branding your homemade coffee as Starbucks, even on Purim.

Just do something that makes it absolutely clear to the recipients that your food items are homemade and not the pretend brand.

teachkids

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 6:11 am
I would put a small twist on the logo so it's obvious it's fake.

amother
Raspberry

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 7:02 am
OP, why are you nervous about this?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 7:29 am
amother Raspberry wrote:
OP, why are you nervous about this?

DH questioned the “POSSIBILITY”

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 7:38 am
amother OP wrote:
Ok

I would make sure it's obvious that it's a spoof. Like, you want realistic, but it should still be obvious it's a purim thing. Not because it's stealing or because of copyright, but just to avoid confusion.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics