Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
What are things you'll never understand?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 5:23 am
K this is really bold, not trying to make a whole thing, but Modern Orthodoxy.

I know there are many shades of it, so I'm not necessarily talking about your version. But I will leave it under the blanket term because I don't want to outline every detail that I don't understand.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 7:03 am
amother Raspberry wrote:
Train them while they are young. My 2 yr old knows his shoes comes off before we enter the house. And It’s a nonissue for all my other kids. No shoes worn outside enters my house.

Exactly. And my kids wear cheap floafers/Crocs that are for playing outside. If someone wants to come in for a quick drink it's easy to kick them off and put them back on. Keeps the shoes in better condition too btw.
I guess another thing I'll never understand is why some people have such a visceral reaction to the idea of no shoes in the house. I couldn't care less if you do wear shoes in your house. Everyone is at perfect liberty to do what works for them and their families.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 7:29 am
amother Dandelion wrote:
lol are you Canadian?

You don’t have to be Canadian or Asian or whatever. I grew up in NY and I enforced a no shoe rule. Shoes get removed at the entry way and placed on a designated rack. Whoever doesn’t like to walk around shoeless, wears indoor shoes.

I found that most of us walked around without shoes anyways. And it’s smoother to find shoes in the morning rush when everything is nicely lined up near the door.

My floors are so much cleaner bh.

(No I didn’t grow up like that.)

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 7:30 am
I’ll never understand energy healing.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 7:35 am
amother Dodgerblue wrote:
You don’t have to be Canadian or Asian or whatever. I grew up in NY and I enforced a no shoe rule. Shoes get removed at the entry way and placed on a designated rack. Whoever doesn’t like to walk around shoeless, wears indoor shoes.

I found that most of us walked around without shoes anyways. And it’s smoother to find shoes in the morning rush when everything is nicely lined up near the door.

My floors are so much cleaner bh.

(No I didn’t grow up like that.)

Was just a joke TMI

It's not the norm in NY. I am Canadian and live in the tristate. Grew up with minimal shoe wearing in the house. Here it's strange when you don't wear shoes in your house.

GLUE

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 7:35 am
amother OP wrote:
I don't understand those people that try calling you 3x in a row. If you don't answer the phone the first time there's a good reason for it.

Many times the reason I don't answer the phone the first time is because I can't find it. My family knows this and will call me a few times so I can find my phone.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 7:37 am
Weirdest thread!

amother
Arcticblue

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:09 am
amother DarkYellow wrote:
Exactly. And my kids wear cheap floafers/Crocs that are for playing outside. If someone wants to come in for a quick drink it's easy to kick them off and put them back on. Keeps the shoes in better condition too btw.
I guess another thing I'll never understand is why some people have such a visceral reaction to the idea of no shoes in the house. I couldn't care less if you do wear shoes in your house. Everyone is at perfect liberty to do what works for them and their families.

From my perspective: because sometimes this is something we are expected to do as guests in the house. And we don't have house shoes there, and don't have feet that can just borrow a pair. And don't have feet that can go without shoes. So you end up awkward and apologizing while they say, "So for you it's fine", and you get nervous about what you might be trekking in, and then the six year old comes in and says, "She's wearing shoes! Why can't I? It's the same dirt."

Logistics question: when you do this, if a kid comes running in from the backyard and really needs the bathroom, do they have to stop and take off their sneakers first? What about their friends, who might be wearing tie shoes? Genuinely figuring it out. I have a kid who is into this and doesn't like to wear outside shoes in the house and especially their room. And this kid will ask other people to get things for them from their room that they forgot when they're already in the car to go to school, because they don't want to have to take off and put back on shoes.

tichellady

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:22 am
Wow this thread makes me feel like I’m not very uptight at all

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:41 am
Why the frum community,even not rich people, are so entrenched in gashmiyus.

Why do we need the latest jewelry, clothing, phones, furniture, bedding, shoes, baby equipment, makeup etc?

I am caught up in it too…

We have things that don’t match up to our financial status.

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:45 am
Queen Of Hearts wrote:
Why waste the opportunity for a good gripefest? Wink

If you're gonna have a gripefest, be honest and say that's what it is right in the title. This is like inviting someone to "a social get-together" that turns out to be an Amway recruiting-and-cheerleading event.

amother
Dahlia

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:47 am
I put paper towels under my chicken package. It has juices on it it’s not super clean. I also put it in a bag in the fridge/ freezer. We only use toilet paper we have septic. And we do not wear shoes in the house. And I have to say since we started the only dirt on my floor is food crumbs in the kitchen. My mop picks up a bit of dust that’s all. It’s no longer black when I wash my floors. So yes you are bringing in a ton of dirt from outside. We wear crocs, socks or go barefoot. Everyone chooses what works for them. I’m American born and live in nj.

amother
Jasmine

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:00 am
You chicken people are weird. The same juices you claim aren’t clean are ON THE CHICKEN you’re going to eat. And have none of you heard of mr clean and paper towels?

GLUE

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:10 am
amother Jasmine wrote:
You chicken people are weird. The same juices you claim aren’t clean are ON THE CHICKEN you’re going to eat. And have none of you heard of mr clean and paper towels?

Yes but I am going to cook the chicken before I eat it.
I am not going to drink it right off the chicken.

Trademark

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:12 am
tichellady wrote:
Wow this thread makes me feel like I’m not very uptight at all

This site tends to be more on the uptight side.

Or maybe uptight people are more likely to post.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:14 am
GLUE wrote:
Yes but I am going to cook the chicken before I eat it.
I am not going to drink it right off the chicken.

But like, paper towel and some soap???

I've never heard of the concept of not putting a chicken tray on the counter. I'm over here thinking it's more gross to never clean the counter, than to put a raw chicken tray on the counter and then clean it afterwards.

Queen Of Hearts

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:26 am
amother Dandelion wrote:

I've never heard of the concept of not putting a chicken tray on the counter. I'm over here thinking it's more gross to never clean the counter, than to put a raw chicken tray on the counter and then clean it afterwards.

Ah so you think people who place something under their chicken trays never clean their counters?
What a weird accusation!

amother
Dahlia

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:29 am
amother Dandelion wrote:

You do realize those who put something under are most definitely disinfecting their counter too?? It’s an extra not an instead of.

amother
Dahlia

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:29 am
amother Jasmine wrote:

Except you cook your chicken. The juices just spread salmonella around your kitchen.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:30 am
Queen Of Hearts wrote:
Ah so you think people who place something under their chicken trays never clean their counters?
What a weird accusation!

Well, that's how people are making it sound.... Why would you need to put a garbage bag underneath if you clean it right afterwards?? Why would it be gross to you?
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics