Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Anybody else wonders - is skincare a scam?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 12:09 pm
I always wonder if skincare is one giant marketing scam to make us buy stuff, when in reality only genetics determine your skin condition with age.

I’m talking about serums, lotions, creams, sunscreen, collagen, retinol etc.

At the end of the day everyone gets wrinkles and their skin deteriorates. There is no way of knowing whether your products actually had a role in how long it took - Unless you experiment with identical twins who have the exact same lifestyle.

Does anybody else wonder about this? It always crosses my mind when I spend money on products. Am I just buying into someone’s marketing?

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 12:22 pm
omg I wonder the same thing.

the beauty industry is a multibillion dollar money making tree, and I can never figure out if this is the product that will really help me, or a waste of money.

amother
Tuberose

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 12:24 pm
Heey I was just thinking of starting of starting such a thread, so thank you OP!
Was going to title it 'Do you believe everything it says on the bottle?'

synthy

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 12:28 pm
Is skincare a scam? Yes and no. Not all skincare is designed to be anti aging, and stuff like good cleansers, serums that target your skin concerns, a good moisturizer for your skin type - these are easy to find and you 100% will see some results with consistent use. Your skin will look better even after a few days vs. not doing skincare at all.

Stuff that promises that you won’t have wrinkles in 50 years? Eh, I doubt. Just stay consistent with your skincare routine and your skin will be happy.
Also - spf is the best for anti-aging. Drink enough, eat healthy.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 12:40 pm
My mom lathers her skin in olive and coconut oil. She claims nature has the best moisturizers.

What do I know?

Brands that have the top names in the beauty industry dont actually get their name for yielding results. Their names are made by crazy marketing, and using celebrities as their face, even though every single celebrity does cosmetic surgery and I doubt they use the brands products irl. (Thinking of Hailey Bieber and Bare Minerals. You’d have to sell me a bridge to make me believe her skin is related to Bare Minerals.)

amother
Lotus

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 12:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
I always wonder if skincare is one giant marketing scam to make us buy stuff, when in reality only genetics determine your skin condition with age.

I’m talking about serums, lotions, creams, sunscreen, collagen, retinol etc.

At the end of the day everyone gets wrinkles and their skin deteriorates. There is no way of knowing whether your products actually had a role in how long it took - Unless you experiment with identical twins who have the exact same lifestyle.

Does anybody else wonder about this? It always crosses my mind when I spend money on products. Am I just buying into someone’s marketing?

It isn't solely genetics. If you use moisturizers then that can delay the onset of wrinkles. It can't prevent but it can push off the inevitable.

The scam lies in the high end products. They don't work better than the low end products. The working ingredient in those products are the same. It's just the filler stuff that may be different, but those have no impact on the results.

For example, the higher end product may have an additive that makes it feel smoother or lighter, but that won't change any of the results.

This was reported to me first-hand by my college chemistry professor who had spent a decade in a major pharmaceutical company actually developing the ingredients for these products. He told us ladies - don't waste your money. We just take the same core working ingredients and then add different fillers to make them appear different.

amother
Lotus

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 12:45 pm
One of the best skincare advice - stay out of the sun as much as possible. The sun accelerates the aging process.

amother
Currant

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 12:58 pm
Paulas Choice stuff isnt a scam. It made my skin great. Its worth every penny IHO.

amother
Pear

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:04 pm
I think a lot of brands are a total scam. Especially ones like chapstick. I swear they only make your lips more dry so you feel like you need to buy more of it.

amother
Dahlia

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:06 pm
My friends family is in skincare, a big company.. they all have flawless skin

peace2

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:06 pm
A lot of it is overpromising. You get the best results by moisturizing, using sunscreen, and staying hydrated. Genetics plays a big role. I really don't think any of those serums, creams, etc. do much of anything. Overdoing skincare is probably bad for your skin in the long run (like exfoliating too much)

amother
Clematis

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:07 pm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=di_mGXfct24

Skincare is a scam

amother
Pear

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:07 pm
amother Dahlia wrote:
My friends family is in skincare, a big company.. they all have flawless skin

Genetics and moisturizer

amother
Poppy

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:08 pm
I used to have pretty bad skin. So I kept trying different products. Everyday I would do a whole routine with moisturizers and cleansers and makeup to kind of mask and make myself look half decent. That was on a regular day. If I had to look even better, it took a lot of makeup and products.

Then COVID hit. I dropped my whole skincare routine because I was literally not going anywhere and just didn't have the space for it. After a few months, my skin started to look better.

It's a few years later and I still haven't gone back. I only use makeup now for special occasions.

Because it was a giant scam. All the high-end cosmetics and creams and cleansers were actually making things better that they had made worse themselves.

My face isn't perfect now. I definitely look better with makeup. But now I know the cost it comes at. Short-term it definitely looks prettier, but long-term it makes things worse.

synthy

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:14 pm
amother Poppy wrote:
I used to have pretty bad skin. So I kept trying different products. Everyday I would do a whole routine with moisturizers and cleansers and makeup to kind of mask and make myself look half decent. That was on a regular day. If I had to look even better, it took a lot of makeup and products.

Then COVID hit. I dropped my whole skincare routine because I was literally not going anywhere and just didn't have the space for it. After a few months, my skin started to look better.

It's a few years later and I still haven't gone back. I only use makeup now for special occasions.

Because it was a giant scam. All the high-end cosmetics and creams and cleansers were actually making things better that they had made worse themselves.

My face isn't perfect now. I definitely look better with makeup. But now I know the cost it comes at. Short-term it definitely looks prettier, but long-term it makes things worse.
Makeup, even high end makeup, will always make your skin look worse. That’s not skincare.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:15 pm
Oh yeah,

I forgot about masks, facial rollers, sculpting spoons, red light therapy and of course monthly professional facials.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Think about all the money people throw at these things.

ahuvasrob

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:16 pm
amother Lotus wrote:
One of the best skincare advice - stay out of the sun as much as possible. The sun accelerates the aging process.

I think the sun is actually healthy for you. So many health benefits which you can't get properly in any other way or from any other applications

synthy

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
My mom lathers her skin in olive and coconut oil. She claims nature has the best moisturizers.

What do I know?

Brands that have the top names in the beauty industry dont actually get their name for yielding results. Their names are made by crazy marketing, and using celebrities as their face, even though every single celebrity does cosmetic surgery and I doubt they use the brands products irl. (Thinking of Hailey Bieber and Bare Minerals. You’d have to sell me a bridge to make me believe her skin is related to Bare Minerals.)
Using straight up oils on your face is great if your skin type allows it, but a lot of times what the skin needs is hydration, I.e. water, not just moisturizing oils. The thing about moisturizer is that it’s an emulsion of both, so you get oils and water.

I personally have super oily skin, I once tried applying a drop of straight up coconut oil on my face and I was a greaseball for hours, until I washed it off. But oily skin doesn’t mean my skin doesn’t get dehydrated, so when I apply moisturizer it eats it right up. My skin is so much smoother the next day if I apply moisturizer before bed.

Ita about designer skincare btw

amother
Lotus

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:21 pm
ahuvasrob wrote:
I think the sun is actually healthy for you. So many health benefits which you can't get properly in any other way or from any other applications

The sun does provide health benefits - I.e Vitamin D. But it's not good for the aging process.

Moderation is the key. Being out and about in the sun - good for you. Tanning, sunbathing - not good for you.

pause

Post Fri, Mar 01 2024, 1:22 pm
ahuvasrob wrote:

You can get it on the rest of your body while protecting your face with a hat.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics