Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Gendered costumes
1  2  3  Next

See post
Yes  
 13%  [ 15 ]
No  
 86%  [ 99 ]
Total Votes : 114

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 9:57 pm
Do you think it’s wrong or inappropriate to dress a toddler girl in a costume that’s primarily for boys? Like a policeman, fire fighter, race car driver… of course there are females who actually have those jobs but it’s mostly men.

Tao

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 10:05 pm
There are so many adorable girls costumes! Why would you dress her as something boyish? If she's 2 years old and has 5 older brothers who are all going to be policemen and she's desperate to be one too, then I'd allow it bec she's young and just wants to be like them, it's not a big deal. But I definitely wouldn't choose a boy costume for a girl!

lucky14

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 10:06 pm
I say totally fine.

paperflowers

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 10:11 pm
No problem.

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 10:13 pm
Why not!!

It's one thing if you were asking about dressing up a toddler boy in a ballerina costume but something like a police officer is not a boy costume imo

amother
Kiwi

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 10:17 pm
Completely appropriate, as long as that's what you're daughter is asking for. But please don't take away your girl's opportunity to be a princess or a kallah simply to fit a theme.

zaq

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 10:19 pm
Why not? If you think "male gender" when you hear "police officer" "firefighter" "pilot" "doctor" "astronaut" "soldier" "soccer player" you're showing your ignorance. All these professions are open to women. The fact that women are in the minority in these professions doesn't change that.

amother
Bluebell

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 10:20 pm
If it's for a theme, for sure u can. It's part of a theme. My boys r cops and my girls are the robbers this year. If my toddler wants to hold that against me in 10 years from now, lol so be it. If it's just what you have in the house, I would ask a neighbor to borrow something more girly.

amother
Clover

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 10:22 pm
My family loved to do themes, we took turns choosing the theme, and since I was the only girl with 4 brothers I got to be a lot of “boyish” things lol. I didn’t mind. I was a police officer, a magician, a train conductor, a dog

amother
Narcissus

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 10:25 pm
Kohein gadol might be a little strange…

But seriously, these other costumes are not “boy costumes.” They’re just costumes that boys often like. If your little daughter is interested she can definitely be a pilot, doctor, etc.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 10:41 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
Completely appropriate, as long as that's what you're daughter is asking for. But please don't take away your girl's opportunity to be a princess or a kallah simply to fit a theme.

Her friends are all boys in playgroup so that what she’s asking for but I don’t know if I should listen to her. She’ll be happy if I buy her a princess costume too.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 10:43 pm
Thank you all for replying Smile

amother
Lightgreen

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 10:47 pm
I wouldn't do something inherently male like Kohein Gadol or Rebbi, just like I wouldn't put a boy in a princess costume. But police, mailman etc, are all gender neutral

flowerpower

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 10:54 pm
Totally fine. I don’t get a boy being in a kallah gown or minnie mouse costume though

amother
Lightpink

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 11:46 pm
When I was four, I dressed up as Haman. At my request.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 11:49 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
When I was four, I dressed up as Haman. At my request.

Ooh! I dressed up as Achashverosh! We should totally have been friends.

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 12:06 am
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
Ooh! I dressed up as Achashverosh! We should totally have been friends.

Def 😁
The four year olds with the most personality, that’s for sure!

patzer

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 12:09 am
My younger sister dressed up as Mordecai one year, and I dressed up as Mordecai's father. My mother made up a cute poem for us to recite.
I think we were 5 and 7 years old at the time.

singleagain

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 4:20 am
amother OP wrote:
Her friends are all boys in playgroup so that what she’s asking for but I don’t know if I should listen to her. She’ll be happy if I buy her a princess costume too.

For sure if she's asking for it. It's about play for her not being a boy. If it makes you feel better get a police {or whatever} woman costume.

amother
Tulip

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 5:20 am
I would not allow 100% cross-dressing, like a boy in a tutu. I would let a boy wear a Scottish kilt and dress up as a Scottish man though, because that's not crossdressing.

A girl in a poluce uniform is not crossdressing, IMO. I wouldn't let a girl dress up as Donald Trump (bc crossdressing nothing to do with politics)
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics