Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Did you do a Gut renovation on old aucton home- any regrets?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 11:41 am
Considering a home that is auction type, no Inspection and doing gut renovation.
Did anyone do this successfully and were happy with result?
2500 square foot home.
I know it will cost a lot , but if you can tell me how much your costed just to give me an idea.....
Thank you!!

amother
Butterscotch

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 1:47 pm
My husband buys properties at auctions, hires someone to fix them up and then sells them. He says proper renovations is what sells the house so he doesn’t cut back. He can spend $100k on renovations sometimes.
I just heard him on the phone about renovating a property he just bought and he was saying that he’s estimating close to $90k on that house.
How much do you think you will spend?

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 2:11 pm
Disclaimer - no personal experience

The main factors to consider are cost and extent of labor in your area.

I live in Brooklyn. If I would buy a very old house and have to gut it completely from top to bottom, or would cost at least 750k.

To the poster who quoted 100k - is this for fixing up a house that's very old but livable, or for literally treating everything down to the studs? I don't see how replacing flooring, updating bathrooms, lighting, boiler, windows, roof, kitchen, minor exterior work, painting, permits can possibly cost less than half a million, and that's if you're not moving any walls or changing layout.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 2:29 pm
amother Azure wrote:
Disclaimer - no personal experience

The main factors to consider are cost and extent of labor in your area.

I live in Brooklyn. If I would buy a very old house and have to gut it completely from top to bottom, or would cost at least 750k.

To the poster who quoted 100k - is this for fixing up a house that's very old but livable, or for literally treating everything down to the studs? I don't see how replacing flooring, updating bathrooms, lighting, boiler, windows, roof, kitchen, minor exterior work, painting, permits can possibly cost less than half a million, and that's if you're not moving any walls or changing layout.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. Most of the homes my husband buys are ranch style. Often it’s 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating