Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Fasting taanis esther

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:06 am
If one is nursing, it is more lenient this year for fasting on taanis esther bc it's not on the regular day?

teachkids

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:08 am
I never fast taanis Esther while nursing, so I'm not sure I understand the question

groovy1224

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:09 am
Taanis Esther is in general the most lenient of the fast days. That being coupled with the fact that it's not on the actual date I'm almost positive you'd be told not to fast but of course ask your LOR.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 5:13 am
I am in middle of listening to the new Purim interview with Rav Avshi Weingot on Meaningful People podcast. He mentioned the equivalent of Yom Kipper and Purim on both we have meals and fasting. Yom kipper we eat first than we fast on Purim it the opposite. May our day be uplifting.

salt

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 5:17 am
amother OP wrote:
If one is nursing, it is more lenient this year for fasting on taanis esther bc it's not on the regular day?

If you are nursing you don't have to fast.
No extra leniencies needed.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 5:57 am
I know that ladies don't need to fast today but I really want to. Just wondering if I'm being a shoteh since I'm not protected there might be a possibility I'm pregnant

amother
Zinnia

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 6:29 am
You never need to fast any minor fast if you're nursing.

amother
Starflower

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 6:35 am
amother Seagreen wrote:
I know that ladies don't need to fast today but I really want to. Just wondering if I'm being a shoteh since I'm not protected there might be a possibility I'm pregnant

Fasting in general doesn't harm a low risk pregnancy and if you're pregnant and don't even know it even more so.

Why don't ladies need to fast? I'm fasting. I'm not pregnant or nursing and I'm healthy BH.

amother
Tomato

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 6:36 am
amother Seagreen wrote:

If you are a few days pregnant fasting won’t hurt you. I think a lot of women are trying to fast today even if they usually don’t because if the situation in the world and in Israel.

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 6:36 am
Yes when it’s not the right day it’s super lenient. But also if you are nursing you only have to do the major ones.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 6:55 am
amother Starflower wrote:
Fasting in general doesn't harm a low risk pregnancy and if you're pregnant and don't even know it even more so.

Why don't ladies need to fast? I'm fasting. I'm not pregnant or nursing and I'm healthy BH.

I have chasidish minhagim ...

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 6:59 am
amother Zinnia wrote:
You never need to fast any minor fast if you're nursing.

Some hold this is only true until baby turns two. My rav holds that nursing a child two years or older does not automatically exempt from a minor fast. Everyone should AYLOR.

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 7:00 am
amother Forsythia wrote:
Some hold this is only true until baby turns two. My rav holds that nursing a child two years or older does not automatically exempt from a minor fast. Everyone should AYLOR.

I don't think the part time nursing that happens after 2 is what most people call nursing.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 7:10 am
I have a heter not to fast but am going to until chatzos because of the mazav in EY

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 7:13 am
amother Seagreen wrote:
I have chasidish minhagim ...

So ask your Rav...

I don't see why being a week pregnant would affect someone who usually fasts. If you are chassidish and your minhag is different then follow that minhag.

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 7:13 am
amother Canary wrote:
I don't think the part time nursing that happens after 2 is what most people call nursing.

Most people don't nurse past age 2 period. I only did so with one of my children. But people who do so, still call it nursing in my experience. Maybe it's different in other communities/cultures. In any event, I was surprised to find out I still had to fast and I imagine other women might be too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics