Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
S/o do Baltimore imas tip teachers
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 8:57 am
New to Baltimore, so families in general include money in mm for teachers? Thinking specifically preschool.
Thanks!

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:40 am
I give Rebbeim a check on Purim, but I have never tipped teachers, nor have I heard anyone in Baltimore IRL talk about tipping teachers.

justforfun87

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:48 am
I asked in the BY chat and was told that no, we don't tip here.

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:51 am
justforfun87 wrote:
I asked in the BY chat and was told that no, we don't tip here.

Same for TA. No tipping on Purim BH (and people want it to stay that way). And I'll be that person who says in Baltimore, chanukah gelt for the rabbeim is not a tip, it's a chanukah gelt gift to thank them for being amazing rebbes. And even then, we send $36 and I was told that's on the higher end.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 10:47 am
Long time Baltimore mother here. No tips on Purim, but some (not all) will give the teachers a nicer shaloch manos, like adding a bottle of wine for a Rebbe. Either way is fine and absolutely no one is expecting a check.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 10:59 am
So relieved to hear this! If we’re not expected to “tip” am I supposed to add a special note/thank you card in our SM? It’s going to be the regular SM we’re making which includes a cute pic of our kids in costumes (they’re young). If it’s not a tip in there is it random to put a special note in? What’s the norm?

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 11:02 am
amother Chocolate wrote:
So relieved to hear this! If we’re not expected to “tip” am I supposed to add a special note/thank you card in our SM? It’s going to be the regular SM we’re making which includes a cute pic of our kids in costumes (they’re young). If it’s not a tip in there is it random to put a special note in? What’s the norm?

Whatever you want. Notes I think are always appreciated. BH there are no expectations.

amother
Phlox

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 11:40 am
We tipped Chanukah but don't tip Purim.

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 11:53 am
amother Burlywood wrote:
Whatever you want. Notes I think are always appreciated. BH there are no expectations.

My husband is a teacher in one of the schools and one mother makes chocolate bark twice a year (blue added on chanukah, purim is a fun color) and let me tell you I GRAB IT. 99% of the mm he gets (less than 10 most years) are homemade and we love it.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 11:57 am
I forgot to give rebbi a check (36$) on Chanukah so plan to give on Purim but typically no I don’t tip- I send rebbis and teachers a bottle of grape juice/wine and a nice bar of chocolate to use on pesach.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 12:11 pm
I always tip on purim and most of my friends do as well.

amother
Gardenia

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 12:22 pm
I do tip. This year with a gift card.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 12:41 pm
Chanuka is for sure a tip

Purim is starting to creep in and I am not happy about it. Many now tip the rebbis

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 12:45 pm
Wow I’m from Baltimore originally but live in Lakewood now
We tip $100 on chanuka, purim, and end of year (so $300 per rebbe throughout the year) and that’s on the much lower end…
I’m happy to contribute to the rebbes Parnassa and I do have tremendous hakaras hatov (my boys have always had AMAZING rebbeim) but it’s really really hard to come up with the money! Especially this year

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 12:49 pm
Interesting...
I grew up in Baltimore (in the older area) and we ALWAYS gave nice shalach manos to teachers. Nice tray, wine, expensive chocolates, and a note of course. So did most other ppl I know...
I was at teachers houses quite a few times on Purim and saw all the nice shalach manos they got.
As we got older my parents started tipping too.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 12:50 pm
Those in Baltimore who tip, did you move here from the tri-state area? Curious where this change is coming from.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 12:52 pm
amother Dahlia wrote:
Wow I’m from Baltimore originally but live in Lakewood now
We tip $100 on chanuka, purim, and end of year (so $300 per rebbe throughout the year) and that’s on the much lower end…
I’m happy to contribute to the rebbes Parnassa and I do have tremendous hakaras hatov (my boys have always had AMAZING rebbeim) but it’s really really hard to come up with the money! Especially this year

No its not and please dont normalize this.

Wealthier people tip this much. Most people tip between $36-$72 once or at most twice a year.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 3:33 pm
I grew up here. I never inspected my parent's mishloach manos for my teachers, but I don't think they tipped.

I live in Baltimore now (after moving away for a bit) and never tipped any of my kids rabbaim or teachers on purim. We do give a much nicer mishloach manos though for both. It's not majorly costly, but not some nosh thrown in a nice bag either.

amother
Bluebell

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:30 pm
I’m also new here and asked around! It seems like everyone does something different-ie no expectations bh.
We aren’t at the rabbi stage yet but I am making a nice mishloach manos (nice chocolate and dish) for my kids teachers rather than the very simple (cuz..Baltimore bh) shalach manos I’m giving everyone else!
For Chanukah I gave my daughters teachers a nice gift and my sons class had a chip -in for a nice gift thing.

amother
Offwhite

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 12:56 am
we have been living in Baltimore for about 20 years. After about 10 years here I learned that a lot of people do give tips to the Rebbi. So now I give $18-36 per Rebbi for Purim, in an envelope with the wine and chocolate or whatever I give them. nicely wrapped, nice note.. we are not wealthy at all, on a tight budget, but I know that my sons' rebbeim are similarly on a tight budget so I'm happy to share what I have with them! the one year recently that I didn't give a tip, was because I knew that the Rebbi had another job part-time that brought in a really decent salary, and his wife was working at a well-paying job, so I figured that as I didn't have enough money to go around, he probably needed it less than the oher rebbeim. (yeah BH I have a bunch of boys. ) don't know anything about tipping English teachers, or girls' morahs. sorry.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics