Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Which pacifier ?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 9:36 pm
Baby is 5 months old . Exclusively nursing but takes bottles ( pumped) really nicely . Which pacifier should I give her ? ( tried a few random ones she sucks a bit and then spits out …)
Nothing ugly or bad for her future bite plz

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 9:38 pm
Maybe this is just me, but once they're past the newborn colic stage I wouldn't encourage a paci if they don't take one already.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 9:48 pm
The Mam and Avent brands are very well liked. Please stick with the newborn size. It is never necessary to go up in size. The pacifier brands make increased sizes so thay you will purchase new ones. As a speech therapist with decades of experience-the more the pacifier fills the mouth, the less the muscles need to work. These long, big, vintage looking nipples are terrible for the mouth. P.S. not every baby likes pacifiers. I have had children that had them in their mouths all day and some that just didn't care for them.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 9:49 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
Maybe this is just me, but once they're past the newborn colic stage I wouldn't encourage a paci if they don't take one already.

Same. I never gave a pack but OP why would you start one at 5 months?

amother
Clover

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 10:37 pm
If she doesn’t use one why start such a bad habit??

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 10:39 pm
My kids liked the nuk pacifiers and they are supposed to be ok for their teeth.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 10:40 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
My kids liked the nuk pacifiers and they are supposed to be ok for their teeth.

They are actually best for teeth I also don’t size up ever my 2 1/2 year old uses 0-2 month size.

I recommend the nuk

amother
Lightyellow

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 10:56 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:
The Mam and Avent brands are very well liked. Please stick with the newborn size. It is never necessary to go up in size. The pacifier brands make increased sizes so thay you will purchase new ones. As a speech therapist with decades of experience-the more the pacifier fills the mouth, the less the muscles need to work. These long, big, vintage looking nipples are terrible for the mouth. P.S. not every baby likes pacifiers. I have had children that had them in their mouths all day and some that just didn't care for them.

That’s interesting. I always wondered about that. My kids have always used the Nuk ones and although I replaced them when needed I never went up in size and always wondered if it was “ok” to be giving an older baby/toddler the newborn size. My reasoning was maybe it wasn’t as fun to be sucking on something so small when they got older and it would help make giving up the paci a bit easier. Nice to hear that developmentally it’s ok to be using the smaller size.

tweety1

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 11:06 pm
My kids started off with the avent soothie and later switched to regular avent. They still take the 0-6 months even though they're older.
For all those saying don't start at this age I strongly disagree. It really helps them sooth themselves. One kid I didn't give up. Finally at 9 months old dc started taking it. Kid is 11 yrs old and doesn't have one anymore. Dc gave it up alone at 6/7 years.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 11:21 pm
Thank you. BH I have many kids some that took pacifier and some that didn’t. It really is worth my getting them used to it for now. Baby seems to like it but now using the ugly hospital one and it constantly falls out of her mouth so I’m trying to find one that will be easier for her to suck and not so ugly…,

amother
Snapdragon

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:17 am
amother OP wrote:
Baby is 5 months old . Exclusively nursing but takes bottles ( pumped) really nicely . Which pacifier should I give her ? ( tried a few random ones she sucks a bit and then spits out …)
Nothing ugly or bad for her future bite plz

How can a pacified be ugly? And all pacifiers are bad for future bites sorry. Why start at 5 months?

amother
Caramel

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:32 am
My baby is taking the tommy tippee pacifier. Pit of all my kids only one other took a pacifier, so I’m not sure it’s the kid or the pacifier lol!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics