Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Parnussa choices

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 12:02 pm
My husband is an attorney. He followed his families guidance and went to law school and BH can provide for our family as a contracts attorney(never goes into court). The thing is, he’s a very talented educator. He can reach people in a way during a shuir that others cannot. He does not have semicha.

My question is: is he wasting his talents? He seems most happy when he is giving..he loves learning and teaching. He has a gift here and he’s not utilizing it. Would it be a crazy move for him to start giving shurim and teaching? Maybe having a couple clients on the side to do legal work for and somehow fundraising or subsidizing the rest of the money our family needs?

amother
Lightgreen

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 12:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
My husband is an attorney. He followed his families guidance and went to law school and BH can provide for our family as a contracts attorney(never goes into court). The thing is, he’s a very talented educator. He can reach people in a way during a shuir that others cannot. He does not have semicha.

My question is: is he wasting his talents? He seems most happy when he is giving..he loves learning and teaching. He has a gift here and he’s not utilizing it. Would it be a crazy move for him to start giving shurim and teaching? Maybe having a couple clients on the side to do legal work for and somehow fundraising or subsidizing the rest of the money our family needs?

What about giving a daf yomi shiur or some other kind of shiur in the mornings and/or nights and/or shabbosim?

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 12:05 pm
Not crazy at all. You need to be where you're passion is.
He can start teaching for a bit of time too.

amother
Mayflower

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 12:05 pm
Why can’t he do all that out of his working hours?
I don’t think it would make sense for him to fundraise for your family to live. We ask lo lidei matnas basar vdam.
I think financially independent speakers and teachers is fantastic.
He’s lucky you’re so supportive. 👍

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 12:06 pm
What are the numbers? How much does he make now compared to how much he'd make if he switched careers?

Can you afford this?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 12:11 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:
Why can’t he do all that out of his working hours?
I don’t think it would make sense for him to fundraise for your family to live. We ask lo lidei matnas basar vdam.
I think financially independent speakers and teachers is fantastic.
He’s lucky you’re so supportive. 👍

So BH our brood of kids are very young. They are not what I’d call self sufficient yet. I do need his support with them and he also learns himself 1.5 hours a day, and has a few other obligations. He can basically only bill 4-5 hours per day right now for his law job and it’s not even supporting all the financial needs we have. We’ve had to dip into our savings. We’re at a crossroads because he was working at a Wall Street style law firm for quite a number of years and we burnt out. We’re reevaluating our life and trying to figure out what our priorities are. We are not looking for handouts and that’s precisely how he’s working his current career, but honestly he also is such a rock star that he could lead a baal teshuva yeshiva, his dream

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 12:13 pm
amother Gladiolus wrote:
What are the numbers? How much does he make now compared to how much he'd make if he switched careers?

Can you afford this?

Switching careers to be an educator seems pretty elusive I really don’t know. Right now between our mortgage, tuitions, food and other expenses we need about 17-18k a month. Our tuition situation might change if he works in Jewish non profit because there a discounts then but I really don’t know

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 12:17 pm
Yes - crazy in my humble opinion.

He can satisfy an urge to teach by doing it as a sideline.

Also he can utilize his abilities and education to provide pro bono help to people as a way of chessed.

Or he can satisfy his satisfaction at teaching by holding some lectures on basic legal rights that specifically impact people.

scruffy

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 12:17 pm
Maybe he should contact Charlie Harary who is also a lawyer and started speaking with a young family.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 12:18 pm
Op, just to clarify, are you asking about your dh giving up a law career to become a rebbe/teacher?

Or are you asking about somehow mingling the 2?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 1:14 pm
amother Gladiolus wrote:
Op, just to clarify, are you asking about your dh giving up a law career to become a rebbe/teacher?

Or are you asking about somehow mingling the 2?

I’m not sure lol

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 1:16 pm
amother Mistyrose wrote:
Yes - crazy in my humble opinion.

He can satisfy an urge to teach by doing it as a sideline.

Also he can utilize his abilities and education to provide pro bono help to people as a way of chessed.

Or he can satisfy his satisfaction at teaching by holding some lectures on basic legal rights that specifically impact people.

Funny thing is he’s so smart he has a way to bring the loftiest chassidic concepts to the most simple of audiences. It’s not just legal, it’s the entire torah, halacha, kabbala and chassidus etc so in this way it seems he’s not completely utilizing his talents

English3

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 1:24 pm
What about giving shiurim on shabbos?

amother
Mayflower

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 1:25 pm
Does he have a rebbe he can discuss this with? There are a lot of angles to such a decision.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 1:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
So BH our brood of kids are very young. They are not what I’d call self sufficient yet. I do need his support with them and he also learns himself 1.5 hours a day, and has a few other obligations. He can basically only bill 4-5 hours per day right now for his law job and it’s not even supporting all the financial needs we have. We’ve had to dip into our savings. We’re at a crossroads because he was working at a Wall Street style law firm for quite a number of years and we burnt out. We’re reevaluating our life and trying to figure out what our priorities are. We are not looking for handouts and that’s precisely how he’s working his current career, but honestly he also is such a rock star that he could lead a baal teshuva yeshiva, his dream

So your husband works part time and makes 400k a year? If he's doing 4-5 hours a day, that's definitely not full time. Also, you said you need 17k-18k per month. Is that gross or net? I'm confused by the numbers. Either way, 200k or 400k, for part time work as an attorney is a good deal. I wouldn't give that up to teach. Also, you didn't discuss the general state of your finances. Can you afford to live on significantly less as the wife of an educator? Do you have sufficient savings to weather the career change? I think you should both sit down and talk IRL about his needs, options and what is realistic for both of you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics