Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Rules for riding hoverboard and how to enforce

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 3:35 pm
Mt 10yo won a hoverboard in a raffle. I would never have bought it and am not thrilled but it seems cruel to take it away from him. Plus, lots of neighborhood kids have electronic riding toys and he was always shnorring from other kids so in a way its better he has his own. What kinds of rules are reasonable to make around this and how do you enforce it? We live in a lkwd development style neighborhood, with streets and plenty of cars but the kids are used to riding in the streets Sad

amother
Aster

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 3:50 pm
For a start he must always be wearing a fastened helmet

mha3484

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 3:51 pm
Is he just going around the neighborhood or taking himself places?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 3:54 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Is he just going around the neighborhood or taking himself places?
Around the neighborhood

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 3:54 pm
amother Aster wrote:
For a start he must always be wearing a fastened helmet
Yes this is obvious

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 3:55 pm
You enforce the rules by taking away the hoverboard if he doesn't follow them. What the rules should be and how detailed etc depends on many personal factors. The only objective non negotiable, as mentioned above is wearing a helmet at all time.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 3:56 pm
amother Vermilion wrote:
You enforce the rules by taking away the hoverboard if he doesn't follow them. What the rules should be and how detailed etc depends on many personal factors. The only objective non negotiable, as mentioned above is wearing a helmet at all time.
Enforcing I mean like I'm not following him around everywhere so if I say sidewalks only, I don't really have a way of checking that

What other kinds of rules are reasonable? Mostly regarding safety

mha3484

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 4:00 pm
The first time I let my son take his to camp, I drove behind him to make sure he crossed properly. I would 100% follow him in the beginning. My son also knew I know a lot of people and if he was not safe, another mother was going to call me. He is 13 now and its been great for his independence. He takes himself to shul, to stores, school. They get a lot of hate but its been fantastic for him.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 4:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
Enforcing I mean like I'm not following him around everywhere so if I say sidewalks only, I don't really have a way of checking that

What other kinds of rules are reasonable? Mostly regarding safety

If you don't trust him to (mostly) follow the rules, and he's probably not old/mature enough for a hoverboard yet.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 4:40 pm
amother Vermilion wrote:
If you don't trust him to (mostly) follow the rules, and he's probably not old/mature enough for a hoverboard yet.
What are the rules he should be following? Like the basics. I really don't know.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 4:41 pm
mha3484 wrote:
The first time I let my son take his to camp, I drove behind him to make sure he crossed properly. I would 100% follow him in the beginning. My son also knew I know a lot of people and if he was not safe, another mother was going to call me. He is 13 now and its been great for his independence. He takes himself to shul, to stores, school. They get a lot of hate but its been fantastic for him.
What would be considered not safe? I really don't know. Are they supposed to get off when they cross? Only ride sidewalks? Not go to fast? Can you spell them out for me please? Also this is just recreational, there's literally nowhere to go where we live except around the neighborhood/development

patzer

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 6:38 pm
You might want to check out the legal aspect. Many places have laws about where and on what kinds of roads you can ride a hoverboard.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 7:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
What would be considered not safe? I really don't know. Are they supposed to get off when they cross? Only ride sidewalks? Not go to fast? Can you spell them out for me please? Also this is just recreational, there's literally nowhere to go where we live except around the neighborhood/development

It really depends where you live. I’m not in a development I live OOT on a busy block so my kids stay on the sidewalk on my block and around the block without crossing streets. No one plays in the streets and there’s no reason for them to cross since we done use it to get to friends or errands it’s just for having fun outside. But this is the norm on my block at that age, if you’re going to want him to play differently than the other kids it’s going to be much more of a challenge.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics