Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Leftover bread/challah recipes
1  2  Next

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 2:20 pm
Not sure where this should go as I'm looking for any recipes, in any category. I take challah every week and while I'd intended to alternate challah baking and bread baking, I find myself in a rush and going with old faithful, especially if we have company, or someone to pass the challah onto. So I have a bit of leftovers. But I always have some leftover bread, not just challah.

Thanks!

louche

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 2:24 pm
I'm confused. what does taking challah every week have to do with anything? you don't give that "challah" away, you burn it. What am I missing here?

wanderer

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 2:35 pm
louche wrote:
I'm confused. what does taking challah every week have to do with anything? you don't give that "challah" away, you burn it. What am I missing here?

I'm thinking OP meant to type 'make' instead of 'take...

OP, you can make your own breadcrumbs, french toast, challah kugel, use it in recipes, etc.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 2:48 pm
I use my extra Challah to make croutons for Caesar salad, or in my meatballs.
Yum!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 6:30 pm
I make enough challa every week to be able to take challa, and we just don't use that much, which is why I try to alternate, but with yom tov and other things, hasn't worked out. French toast is a definite option. I love stratas but I'm the only one. And yes too to croutons and bread crumbs (wonder if you can make kneidlach with them....) Just wondering if anyone has some out of the box ideas or tried and true favorites.

cookielady

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 6:34 pm
Toast chunks of the bread brush with olive oil and top with brushetta type toppings.

geemum

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 6:52 pm
garlic bread. I;'ve made it with store bought baguette so I know its easy and very yummmy.

basically you spread butter (or oil if you don't want milky) and spread on fresh garlic or garlic salt. can add some green herbs for colour, but you don't need it.

put in oven/broiler and enjoy

pobody's nerfect

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 8:32 pm
I have the same problem! and since I bake my challah in a fleishig oven, I can't use it for real french toast (though I do make without milk sometimes, it doesn't taste nearly as good.)

I'm thinking of making up a recipe for unstuffed chicken? any ideas?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 9:29 pm
Pobody's nerfect - I LOVE that. Someone else has as her signature line, "Grammar mistakes make me (sic)." - what do you have in mind, unstuffed chicken? Stuffing baked with the chicken?

And my challah's too sweet for garlic bread. Everyone loves my somewhat sweet challah on Shabbos (1 2/3 c. sugar per 5 lb. + a cup or so flour) but not for sandwiches after.

willow

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 5:49 am
Garlic bread, croutons, breadcrumbs, challah kugel -sweet or onion pepper with herbs, french toast.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 6:26 am
Bread and butter pudding--the best way to use up the sweet challot/bread.
Original recipe is milky but you can make it parve substituting butter with margarine, milk with soy milk.

1oz butter (or margarine)
10 slices of challot leave crusts on (you may need more or less depending on challah size and
the casserole size. If you're using regular square bread, you'll need about 8 slices).
1/2 cup sultanas/raisins
2 cups milk (or soy milk)
3 tbsp sugar
a few dash of vanilla extract
3 eggs, lightly beaten

Preheat the oven to 180C, grease pyrex or ovenproof casserole (about 1.5litre). Butter bread slices on one side. Place them on the bottom of the casserole (you might have to cut/trim some ends). Sprinkle sultanas/raisins. Use the remainder to make the second layer on the top.

Mix milk, sugar, vanilla extract and eggs. Pour over the bread. Bake for about 30-40min till it gets a bit puffy and the top is light golden. Best eaten warm, my kids like them with a bit of jam or marmalade.

geemum

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 9:35 am
Mmmmmm sounds good Mrs Bissili

elmos

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 10:46 pm
I take left over challah or bread and cube it and spray it with cooking spray and spice it with garlic powder and or onion powder and or italian seasoning shake it through bake it until cubes are toasted. then I saute frozen or fresh pepper, onion canned or fresh mushrooms then I add a variety of spices whatever you like the cubes and water and I stuf chicken or veal with it.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 22 2009, 9:38 am
Thanks for keeping them coming! We're not the biggest stuffing people but it does go well when I make it.

tovarena

Post Wed, Jul 22 2009, 10:19 am
Challah kugel! I have a really incredible recipe with amaretto liqueur. It's a bit of a patchka because aside from having the amaretto in the kugel itself, you also make a sugar/marg/amaretto topping that sort of reduces. So you have to sit and stir it. But when I have time, my guests always go nuts for it. If you're interested in the recipe, I'll dig it out in the next night or two.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 22 2009, 12:49 pm
I am, but I know that I'll probably be the only one eating it. I made a lovely challah kugel from The Balabusta's Cookbook, served thin slices of it with compote Shabbos evening, but too much leftover and while we all agreed it was a great kugel, we didn't exactly love it.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jul 22 2009, 1:01 pm
there are so many things you can make from basic french toast, to stuffing, to bread pudding ... or feed the birds and the squirrels ...

bread stuffing:

fry some onions, garlic, chopped celery and spices in olive oil, then toss bread pieces around in same till coated nicely - if you have a little soup or gravy you can add some to it ...

bread pudding:
soak the bread in water - squeeze excess - then add raisins, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, eggs, oil, pareve milk, crushed bananas, raisins (maybe some apples diced) ... then bake

onlyme

Post Wed, Jul 22 2009, 1:08 pm
I don't usually have too much leftover challah, so what works for me is ground meat (or, in my case, chicken) patties. Really simple and quick (as are all my recipes; I like to get out of the kitchen fast!)

Leftover challah, the size of about 1 challah roll, soaked in water, then squeezed
1 - 1 1/2 lb. ground chicken (or meat)
1 egg
1 onion, grated (I use onion powder - lazy)

Combine all ingredients, form into patties. (Yields about 8 patties) Fry for about 10 minutes on each side. (I've also tried grilling it on a George Forman. Just add some oil to the mixture). Serve!

sky

Post Wed, Jul 22 2009, 1:11 pm
Easiest french toast - there is no milk in this so theorectially you could use it with 'meat' bread. Just don't use the butter.

Bottom layer - I leave this out because it is too fattening but it is delish:
In a 9x13 pan melt 3 T honey and 4 T butter. Don't brown. Sprinkle on top 1 cup chopped pecans.
Dip sliced bread in 2/3 cup orange juice, 4 eggs, 1/4 tsp cinnamon. 1/4 tsp salt.
Layer in 9x13 on top of honey mixture (if used).
Bake 15 - 20 minutes. Top should be golden brown. Bottom (if used) should be bubbly.

sky

Post Wed, Jul 22 2009, 2:53 pm
Shredded breaded Apple Kugel

(2 loaf sized kugels)
1 cup homemade bread crumbs (or matzah meal - better with bread crumbs)
1 cup flour (can use WW)
1 cup ground nuts
3/4 cup sugar or brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup marg or oil
6 apples

Mix together first 6 ingredients
If you are using marg cut it in until it resembles crumbs.
If using oil add it in small amounts and toss with fork until resembles small crumbs.
Peel and grate 6 apples. Preheat oven to 350. Apray lof pans with baking spray.
Layer ingredients:
1.5 inch of breadcrumbs
think layer of apples (they shrink)
Layer of breadcrumbs

Bake for 25 - 35 minutes until top is medium brown and crispy.
Refrigerate to slice nicely. Serve at room temperature.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads