Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Jealousy between siblings

mother of 2 princess's

Post Tue, Jan 11 2005, 8:28 pm
I have a six year old and a 16 month year old and I was really concerned about the age gap. I was worried because my eldest had been a only child for so long. things have been fine until the last few weeks when my baby has started walking and talking. also my baby had a bad ear and throat infection and needed a lot more attention than usual. the school holidays were awful. shes beenso naughty.
can anyone help

AweSumThenSum

Post Sun, Jan 16 2005, 12:59 pm
I've learned that children will, for the most part, be content w/ their lives and every once in a while they will erupt into fits of jealousy, anger, stam a tantrum, etc... my own guideline for seeing if things are normal is when each child accuses me of liking the other better, and treating the other more fairly/royaly/etc.....

amother

Post Sat, Apr 22 2006, 10:06 pm
I am currently in my 4th month of pregnancy wiht my 2nd child. My older one will be 2.3 iyH when I give birth. How do you cope with the terrible twos and a new born, I heard this is the best age for jealosy, has anyone else had this with their 2nd, how do u go about giving each kid the right attention that they're both happy, and how long does the impossible stage last?

red sea

Post Sat, Apr 22 2006, 10:58 pm
Amother, each kid is different. Make a big, huge deal about them becoming a big sibling. When you show people the baby make sure you say and this is the big brother/sister, when you get a double carriage tell them its a special new one for the big sibling and we can just stick the baby over there, new baby can even arrive with a goody bag type present for big sibling cuz they are so happy to get such a great big sib. Get a few gifts and wrap them with fake cards to mix in to the mounds of gifts for the baby so big sib doesn't feel left out or taken over.

For the first few months the time you spend feeding the newborn should be enough attn for the newborn so really focus on the bigger one. Then as you even out the attn, as the baby reaches big deal milestones keep an eye on big sib to make sure they don't start feeling unimportant and are not overshadowed. You can ask the older one if they taught that to the baby.

Do not kick the older one out of the crib to use it for the baby, if you are going to be using the same crib transfer big kid to a bed with a huge youre a big kid now deal and wait a few months before suggesting to big kid since youre so big now maybe we'll stick the baby in the crib since its for babies.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children