Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Flowerpot

Post Fri, Oct 09 2009, 5:01 pm
Their in Love with him!

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sat, Oct 10 2009, 3:34 pm
Arafat's and Carter's winning the Nobel Prize and now Obama did, shows the mentality of the ones receiving it and the ones gaving it... There's definitely not much value to it...

msctwg

Post Sat, Oct 10 2009, 4:27 pm
I'm not sure, but why? for what reason are they giving him a peace award? what on earth has he done to promote peace????? could be I'm lost here

shosh

Post Sat, Oct 10 2009, 6:02 pm
Only saw this now.

OK, Shosh's reactions to the Nobel Committee's great decision are:
1. Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

2. If he deserves one, then so do I. And I need the money a lot more than he does!

3. Just shows that the whole Nobel peace thing is a load of rubbish. But then we knew that since Arabfat and Carter got one.

4. Wonder what Kaare Kristiansen would say about this if he were still alive? (For those of you who have forgotten, Kristiansen was the Nobel Committee member who resigned over the prize for Arafat.)

5. Just told my 13 yr old ds about it, and he'd never heard of the Nobel Prize. So I guess I can see what is important in life.

ora_43

Post Sat, Oct 10 2009, 6:06 pm
marina wrote:
Denmark, in contrast to other European countries, saved almost their entire Jewish population, at great risk to themselves. So they can outlaw shechita as long as they want, for all I care.

I know this is totally off topic, but that's a bizarre attitude IMO. Why should today's Danes get credit for saving Jews during the Holocaust any more than today's Germans should be blamed for the Holocaust?

(ETA: I'm pretty sure that shechita is legal in Denmark, so I'm not arguing that Denmark is or isn't anti-Semitic at present - just debating the logic itself).

Last edited by ora_43 on Sat, Oct 10 2009, 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

beilariva

Post Sat, Oct 10 2009, 6:07 pm
Raisin wrote:
chaylizi wrote:
Seraph wrote:
willow wrote:
SarahO. wrote:
no, you don't have to accomplish much I assume..Carter and Arafat have won before.
They deserved it more then him I have to say. Bill Clinton did more for peace then Obama and he did not even get to win.
Bill clinton was white.

That might matter in the US, but not nearly as much in Europe. Many Europeans are plenty racist.

that is pretty unfair to accuse scandinavia of being racist. Denmark was one of only 2 countries to save the Jews during the Holocaust, and Sweden took the jews in. Far more then the USA ever did!

Scandinavians are known for being very liberal.

As for Obama getting the prize, I agree it is ridiculous. (even the bbc is shocked) He is only at the beginning of his term, surely we need to see some results first. Unless the Nobel committee are going to announce the Science prize to the inventor of the time machine.

Sweden requested the J in the passports so that they could stop the Jews at the border. Some brave Swedes and Danes smuggled the Jews in.

Does anyone take the Swedes and the Nobel Prize seriously anyways? Can't say I did since Arafat got it.

shosh

Post Sat, Oct 10 2009, 6:09 pm
Ere we go ... Time to mash the swedes!!!! Twisted Evil

ora_43

Post Sat, Oct 10 2009, 6:10 pm
chavamom wrote:
I guess I could go on about all the people that won without doing anything (Gorbachev won before he did anything except introduce the concept of "Glasnost", Kissinger won for....wait for it....Vietnam!!! several years before we declared victory and got outta Dodge). I'd hate to interrupt all the fun you are having though.

The fun isn't over the fact that the totally serious, always appropriate Nobel Peace Prize was given to Obama instead of to someone of the caliber of previous winners like Arafat (or previous nominees like Stalin and Hitler).

The fun is because the Nobel Peace Prize - always a joke - has proven itself amusing yet again. And now in a new and different way.

beilariva

Post Sat, Oct 10 2009, 6:10 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
I think Denmark, not uniquely, has outlawed shechita.

This is the case in Sweden. All Kosher meat is imported as far as I remember some came from Denmark so I think it is allowed there?

beilariva

Post Sat, Oct 10 2009, 6:16 pm
shosh wrote:
Ere we go ... Time to mash the swedes!!!! Twisted Evil

Well, I guess the Israeli humour group was right on target "primi primi primitivi uphlegmati, troll bneshama" Twisted Evil

Insert URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....edded

Imaonwheels

Post Sun, Oct 11 2009, 1:38 am
msctwg wrote:
I'm not sure, but why? for what reason are they giving him a peace award? what on earth has he done to promote peace????? could be I'm lost here

He made peace between different sectors of Israeli society against his pressure.

mimivan

Post Sun, Oct 11 2009, 2:23 am
Imaonwheels wrote:
msctwg wrote:

He made peace between different sectors of Israeli society against his pressure.

good point!

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Oct 11 2009, 3:49 am
Imaonwheels wrote:
msctwg wrote:

LOL.

But this is a precedent. He got the award for PLANNING to make peace all over the world. Amazing.

StrongIma

Post Sun, Oct 11 2009, 6:30 am
btMOMtoFFBs wrote:
News Flash:

This Just In from the Nobel Prize Award Committee:
It was mistakenly reported that Mr. Obama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. He was actually award the Nobel Putz Prize. The Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to Mr. Achmadinejad this year.
LOL

frumluv

Post Sun, Oct 11 2009, 8:16 pm
As someone who voted for Obama, I can't believe he won the Nobel Peace Prize. I don't think he deserves it at this point in his Presidency. We're still fighting wars, Bin Laden is still on the loose, etc. etc. Like ChossidMom said, he got the award for planning peace, not yet achieving it.

Just my opinion....

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 8:09 am
frumluv wrote:
As someone who voted for Obama, I can't believe he won the Nobel Peace Prize. I don't think he deserves it at this point in his Presidency. We're still fighting wars, Bin Laden is still on the loose, etc. etc. Like ChossidMom said, he got the award for planning peace, not yet achieving it.

Just my opinion....

Obama got a hasty award as an encouragement to stick to his peace plans and his anti-Israel stance.

chavamom

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 9:52 am
Actually it had more to do with his plans for nuclear disarmament than anything to do with Israel and the Palestinians. Sometimes it really *isn't* all about the Jews and Israel.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 10:01 am
chavamom wrote:
Actually it had more to do with his plans for nuclear disarmament than anything to do with Israel and the Palestinians. Sometimes it really *isn't* all about the Jews and Israel.

Let's see some REAL action from Obama and face down the Iranian bully on its nuclear aspirations, then let's talk about prizes.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 10:17 am
What's really scary is what's going on on left wing radio.
"The right is now on the side of the terrorists! They hate America! Look at their response to the Olympics and now this! They should be proud that America won this prize, but nooooo..." Etc. ad nauseum.

It is bizarre that he got the nomination after only two weeks as president, and I thought he was going to focus on the domestic issues too then. If I had the time I would call some of the jokers and politely ask.

Oooh, now the left wing host is saying, now we get to show how much they hate America. It's one thing to say it's too soon, but all this mean mocking, bipartisanship is dead, no more basic decency.

OK, I listen so the rest of you don't have to Twisted Evil

Kinneret

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 12:39 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
What's really scary is what's going on on left wing radio.
"The right is now on the side of the terrorists! They hate America! Look at their response to the Olympics and now this! They should be proud that America won this prize, but nooooo..." Etc. ad nauseum.

That's certainly no more scary that what is going on and has been going on in right-wing radio for the last 25 years.

With regard to the Peace Prize, I think it's ridiculous that Obama gets the award, but then again, it's been impossible for me to take the NPP seriously since Kissinger (KISSINGER!) won in 1973.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics