Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize
Previous  1  2  3  4

Imaonwheels

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 12:51 pm
chavamom wrote:
Actually it had more to do with his plans for nuclear disarmament than anything to do with Israel and the Palestinians. Sometimes it really *isn't* all about the Jews and Israel.

Like his swift and effective action at stopping the Iranians? The North Koreans?

chavamom

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 12:52 pm
Sigh.

Raisin

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 3:40 pm
ora_43 wrote:
marina wrote:
Denmark, in contrast to other European countries, saved almost their entire Jewish population, at great risk to themselves. So they can outlaw shechita as long as they want, for all I care.

I know this is totally off topic, but that's a bizarre attitude IMO. Why should today's Danes get credit for saving Jews during the Holocaust any more than today's Germans should be blamed for the Holocaust?

(ETA: I'm pretty sure that shechita is legal in Denmark, so I'm not arguing that Denmark is or isn't anti-Semitic at present - just debating the logic itself).

I checked it out and shechita is legal in Denmark. Whether it actually takes place is another question...when I visited they seemed to have meat imported from other countries.

Anyway, this was a decision take by a committee!! We all know committees always make the best decisons that everyone agrees with.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 6:12 pm
[quote="Kinneret"]
PinkFridge wrote:
What's really scary is what's going on on left wing radio.
"The right is now on the side of the terrorists! They hate America! Look at their response to the Olympics and now this! They should be proud that America won this prize, but nooooo..." Etc. ad nauseum.

That's certainly no more scary that what is going on and has been going on in right-wing radio for the last 25 years. ]

Can't totally disagree with you there. Though put Michael Savage and Mike Malloy in the same room and see who goes apoplectic first.

Kinneret

Post Mon, Oct 12 2009, 9:05 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Though put Michael Savage and Mike Malloy in the same room and see who goes apoplectic first.

That? Would be hilarious!

Tech_mom

Post Tue, Oct 13 2009, 10:26 am
I wanted to share with you a great take on the Obama's award of the Nobel prize.

My husband pointed out to me the following take on how current events are really relevant to Jews and are even made to teach us. Here is how he interpreted it:

The prize was awarded on Hoshana Rabba. He was given the Nobel prize not so much for what he has accomplished but for what he wants to accomplish and keeps promising to do. We as Jews have just passed through the yemei hadin and some of us haven't done a complete teshuva or feel held back from things that we feel (wrongly) that we don't know how to move past. But we can say, "Hash-m, I promise to do better. I promise to do x, y & z and to stay away from a, b, & c". It comes Hoshana Rabba and we look toward the future and Hash-m says (so to speak), "Here is another year of life and all the tools that you need. Go and accomplish as you have promised to do!".

This is a tailor made mashal for us Jews to realize that we have been given the biggest prize of all - life to accomplish and do what we were put her for - even if we haven't lived up (so far) to our own potential. We are like Obama - getting prize ahead of time for our promises.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Oct 13 2009, 10:30 am
Tech_Mom, I wish I were so holy ;-)
But this reminds me of a soundbite from a movie or TV show someone plays frequently, this earnest young girl saying,"I love him. I love him for the man he wants to be and for the man he almost is."

Tech_mom

Post Tue, Oct 13 2009, 10:33 am
I am NOT an Obama fan to say the least, but instead of getting worked up and staying upset as many people are, I am getting chizuk that Hash-m runs the world.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics