Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
Choosing a pediatrician-need help

hinda

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 6:46 pm
Not sure where to post this,so Ill start here.
I am looking for a pediatrician for my twins. I have a feeling at least one is a girl.For my sons,I use a male pediatrician but he is 30 minutes each way from my house and hard to see. I looked and found a closer practice and the dr there who has been recommended is also a male.
I can see a child seeing a male pediatrician but for my postpartum sake and for the sake of the girl/s as they grow,wouldn't a female be better? I am so conflicted. Our current pediatrician is a nice frum guy who understands who we are etc,but I think his practice has grown far beyond what he can handle and I feel like we're always getting passed on to be seen by the other practitioners. He says I should know that's how it is in most practices and shouldn't expect to see the dr himself every time I visit especially if child is sick.I am planning to keep my boys with him but the thought of shlepping twins across town in the winter vs. having a pediatrician under 2 miles away seems like quality of life issue. Is it important for a dr to have 'rights' at your delivering hospital?or is it more important that it be a dr who is also a friend whom we have rapport with? Or should I see the recommended dr as well as the female drs at that practice to check them each out?
Both accept my insurance,so that isn't in the decision making at all.
Any advice appreciated.

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 7:10 pm
hinda wrote:
Is it important for a dr to have 'rights' at your delivering hospital?

not sure about the rest of your questions, but I can answer this one. it is not necessary for your pediatrician to have "rights" at the hospital. I had a different pediatrician each time my kids were born, and both said that there was no reason for them to come down to the hospital and the resident would be just fine. of course I brought them in to the ped. office at about 4-5 days old. unless there is a serious medical issue and you'd like your pediatricians opinion on it, the resident is fine.

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 7:13 pm
I dont think the gender matters so much at such a young age. I would go with the person that you think is the best doctor and the easiest to get to. I am sure taking twin newborns to the doctor is annoying enough.

That being said, I have almost always had female pediatricians for DD.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 9:29 pm
I don't see gender of the doctor being an issue until the children are at least 11 or 12.

Up until recently my Ped did not have rights in my delivering hospital. A hospital Ped checked my babies out, and when I got home I took them to see our regular ped. I never allowed the hospital to do any immunizations, only a hearing test and regular blood work (I don't believe babies under 24 hours need Hep shots anyway...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more