Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Typing Speed?
Previous  1  2

How many words can you type in a minute?
39 & Under.  
 10%  [ 12 ]
40 - 54  
 3%  [ 4 ]
55 - 69  
 25%  [ 28 ]
70 - 84  
 20%  [ 22 ]
85 - 99  
 10%  [ 11 ]
100+  
 7%  [ 8 ]
Don't know.  
 22%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 110

sky

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 7:42 pm
According to this website I typed 70 WPM: http://www.rankmytyping.com/

The averages they give are:

25 - 29 years old: 46.32 Wpm
New Jersey: 56.16 WPM
United States: 43.31 Wpm
Female: 41.77
Using a computer 50-75 hours /week: 53.88

hipstamom

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 4:18 pm
I learned to type on an IBM typewriter too.

I took both of the tests posted above. Wow, you ladies are speed mavens! I can only do 45 w/o errors embarrassed So I guess if I do intense practice over a couple of months I can do better.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 4:26 pm
25-29 year olds probably type faster with their thumbs on their phones than traditional typing!

There are lots of fast women here! I thought I was fast, but I see I'm just average here, oh, well. I do everything slowly: It takes me ages to cut a salad, get dressed, floss, drive, everything! And here I thought that all I do quickly is type and think. (Maybe I really don't think quickly either? Is there a thinking speed testing site?)

hipstamom

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 4:30 pm
They probably can blaze with their thumbs. I saw a speed texting contest and that was wild! Hopefully, they aren't walking or driving while doing so.

sky

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 7:18 pm
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
25-29 year olds probably type faster with their thumbs on their phones than traditional typing!

There are lots of fast women here! I thought I was fast, but I see I'm just average here, oh, well. I do everything slowly: It takes me ages to cut a salad, get dressed, floss, drive, everything! And here I thought that all I do quickly is type and think. (Maybe I really don't think quickly either? Is there a thinking speed testing site?)

You're speed is much faster then most of the averages. Its not slow. I think only people with fast speeds bothered commenting.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 7:46 pm
sky wrote:

You're speed is much faster then most of the averages. Its not slow. I think only people with fast speeds bothered commenting.

Okay, sky, I feel better! Kind of like - only the women who are thin would bother commenting in the "how much do you weigh, what size are you" threads!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 8:19 pm
I decided to try it out one handed while nursing:
You typed 28.2 Words Per Minute!

Oy!!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 9:14 pm
sky wrote:

Okay, sky, I feel better! Kind of like - only the women who are thin would bother commenting in the "how much do you weigh, what size are you" threads!

LOL Exactly! I didn't bother commenting on that skinny thread, but here was a thread that I could comment and feel good about lol!

Last edited by amother on Fri, Aug 21 2020, 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Sherri

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 9:26 pm
amother wrote:
I'm studying to be a court reporter. On a shorthand/stenography machine, I can do 150 words a minute.

Don't know how fast I type on a keyboard, though.
Why don't you test it now? I am curious if there's a correlation, there's gotta be, no?

amother

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 9:33 pm
Sherri wrote:
amother wrote:
I'm studying to be a court reporter. On a shorthand/stenography machine, I can do 150 words a minute.

Don't know how fast I type on a keyboard, though.
Why don't you test it now? I am curious if there's a correlation, there's gotta be, no?

Different amother here, but no, there's no correlation. It's completely different machines, and when you write on a steno machine it's not at all like typing on a computer.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 10:04 pm
I can google it, but it's more fun to just ask questions here:)

What's a steno machine? If it's so much faster, why shouldn't I buy one??

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 10:06 pm
It's shorthand buttons specific to court cases, where a stenographer is used to document the proceedings. It's not a QWERTY keyboard by any stretch of the imagination.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Dec 16 2011, 12:44 am
I can google it, but it's more fun to just ask questions here:)

What's a steno machine? If it's so much faster, why shouldn't I buy one??

You're so cute Smile You would have to go to school for a couple of years to know how to use it, and then you would probably use it more for income than for basic typing Wink It's what court reporters use to take down every word of the court case as it's going on.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Aug 21 2020, 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Dec 17 2011, 6:43 pm
I came around 82-84wpm, and I think I'm one of the fastest one in my team. My work involves writing reports and I can take real-time memo from conference calls. Though I'm more of Excel spreadsheet 10-key queen if I may humbly call myself as such. Funny thing is, my parents seriously wanted me to get a secretarian job straight out of high school instead of going to university. (My dad was mortified that sending a daughter to college was a sure way to have a spinster daughter). So that Ihad to take secretary courses at high school. At least I'm confident at touch typing (used to be called blind typing).

My first typewriter was a manual one--the one you literally have to manually do the carriage return to move to the next line. One used carbon paper for duplicate copies, if you type too fast, typebars could get jammed. You also needed to learn how to change the ink ribbons (the black and red ones). Mercifully someone invented electronic typewriters with automatic correction functions by the time I started college.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics