Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to America
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

supermama2

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 1:48 am
amother wrote:
I vote detroit!!! We moved here a couple of years ago from a E'Y (chareidi community) and are very happy. It is small enough that each kid matters and is given attention, but big enough to have two good school options, shuls, kollelim, etc. There is a wide range of hashkafos represented within the community...you will definately find what you are looking for here!

Yeah but what about the problems with Dearborn,Mi? Isn't that like little Arabville? There aren't problems b/c of it?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 4:45 am
You probably have more job options in the U.S. than in EY if you speak Hebrew with a thick accent.

Let's look at money scenarios. If you moved OOT, you could babysit out of your home, and people would pay about $5 an hour. Let's say you took 4 kids; that's a decent hourly amount. If you babysat for 30 hours a week it would be about $600 a week (although it would fluctuate a bit if kids were sick). As for your husband, it's easy to get a crummy job paying $10-12 an hour, so let's say he's making $400 a week. So lowballing it, you're making about $900 a week before taxes. (Hopefully he could find something paying more, but worst case scenario, any guy off the street who's willing to work hard can get something for say 11 bucks an hour.)

Out of $900/week before taxes you have to cover rent, food, utilities, transportation, household needs, tuition, healthcare. I don't know what taxes would be like but let's say you have about $3000 per month after taxes are taken out. OOT your rent would be let's say $1200 for a house. Food let's say $700 a month, except if you went on programs they would help with that. Utilities maybe $100? So now you have $1000 left to cover everything else. Car depends if you buy used or lease a new one. We buy used because my dh is good at fixing cars, so I don't know how much leased cars cost, but I think my friend mentioned she's leasing for $200 a month. With healthcare you would likely qualify for programs. Tuition would be a challenge. Depends how old your kids are. OOT I'm getting a scholarship and paying about $4500 per kid per year, divided into 12 months. Clothing you could get from a gemach or from stores like Target and Marshalls (things are much cheaper than in EY).

So on the jobs I mentioned, things would be tight, but doable. I know because we did it. Now BH we're making more so there's more wiggle room in the budget, but as our kids get older the expenses grow too, so I'm back in school for a more lucrative field. But, anyway, the numbers I was using with you assumed that your husband is making very little. If your husband has initiative and drive, he could do much better, and then your numbers start looking a lot better.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 5:38 am
supermama2 wrote:
Yeah but what about the problems with Dearborn,Mi? Isn't that like little Arabville? There aren't problems b/c of it?

No problems from Dearborn. It's 10+ miles out of the frum neighborhood.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 5:42 am
amother wrote:
Do you think people are staying in detroit? Also, like the next generation?

Some older people are moving if all their kids are on the east coast. I think there is more next generation coming back/staying than there used to be.
As for nature it probably fits your bill. Single, detached homes with lawns. Lots of trees. Parks. There's a frum area that sees deer occasionally.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 6:27 am
amother wrote:
YEP!

You should seriously look into Chicago. There are lots of posts here about if you'll search.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 12:01 pm
Are healthcare and programs only for Americans or also people with a green card, viza...

kb

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 12:08 pm
I don't think you have to be a citizen to get benefits. Not a million percent sure though.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 3:43 pm
No, you don't need to be a citizen. DH has a green card and is eligible for all benefits. AFAIK, the only benefit he doesn't have is voting. Oh, and running for President of the United States.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 12:10 am
deleted

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 12:11 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Some older people are moving if all their kids are on the east coast. I think there is more next generation coming back/staying than there used to be.
As for nature it probably fits your bill. Single, detached homes with lawns. Lots of trees. Parks. There's a frum area that sees deer occasionally.

Glad to hear it! And it sounds beautiful!

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 12:11 am
OOTBubby wrote:
You should seriously look into Chicago. There are lots of posts here about if you'll search.

Can you tell me a bit about the community?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 12:14 am
amother wrote:
You probably have more job options in the U.S. than in EY if you speak Hebrew with a thick accent.

Let's look at money scenarios. If you moved OOT, you could babysit out of your home, and people would pay about $5 an hour. Let's say you took 4 kids; that's a decent hourly amount. If you babysat for 30 hours a week it would be about $600 a week (although it would fluctuate a bit if kids were sick). As for your husband, it's easy to get a crummy job paying $10-12 an hour, so let's say he's making $400 a week. So lowballing it, you're making about $900 a week before taxes. (Hopefully he could find something paying more, but worst case scenario, any guy off the street who's willing to work hard can get something for say 11 bucks an hour.)

Out of $900/week before taxes you have to cover rent, food, utilities, transportation, household needs, tuition, healthcare. I don't know what taxes would be like but let's say you have about $3000 per month after taxes are taken out. OOT your rent would be let's say $1200 for a house. Food let's say $700 a month, except if you went on programs they would help with that. Utilities maybe $100? So now you have $1000 left to cover everything else. Car depends if you buy used or lease a new one. We buy used because my dh is good at fixing cars, so I don't know how much leased cars cost, but I think my friend mentioned she's leasing for $200 a month. With healthcare you would likely qualify for programs. Tuition would be a challenge. Depends how old your kids are. OOT I'm getting a scholarship and paying about $4500 per kid per year, divided into 12 months. Clothing you could get from a gemach or from stores like Target and Marshalls (things are much cheaper than in EY).

So on the jobs I mentioned, things would be tight, but doable. I know because we did it. Now BH we're making more so there's more wiggle room in the budget, but as our kids get older the expenses grow too, so I'm back in school for a more lucrative field. But, anyway, the numbers I was using with you assumed that your husband is making very little. If your husband has initiative and drive, he could do much better, and then your numbers start looking a lot better.

Thank you so much for this detailed message. I really appreciate that you took the time to write it all out. You give me hope that we could afford it, if we do decide to move.

What is the deal with health care these days - did the prices go up or down? I have been out of the country since before obamacare and I have no idea about anything to do with health care anymore.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 1:22 am
amother wrote:
Can you tell me a bit about the community?

Or actually I'll just look at old posts, duh. Was a bit tired this morning!

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 6:32 am
amother wrote:
Or actually I'll just look at old posts, duh. Was a bit tired this morning!

Yes, please do that. Then feel free to ask questions. The Chicagoans here (and in general) are quite friendly and will be happy to help out.

In a nutshell, I will tell you that Chicago has the advantages of a big city (lots of choice in all areas) plus the advantages of a small community (in that it is still essentially just one community, not splintered into lots of separate communities within the city).

kb

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 7:59 am
OOTBubby wrote:
Yes, please do that. Then feel free to ask questions. The Chicagoans here (and in general) are quite friendly and will be happy to help out.

In a nutshell, I will tell you that Chicago has the advantages of a big city (lots of choice in all areas) plus the advantages of a small community (in that it is still essentially just one community, not splintered into lots of separate communities within the city).

But it doesn't have California weather.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 8:00 am
kb wrote:
But it doesn't have California weather.

No, it sure doesn't. In fact, we often say we don't live in Chicago for the weather. But, at least the city knows how to handle it's snow unlike some of the other communities especially in the east :-)

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 8:26 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
No, you don't need to be a citizen. DH has a green card and is eligible for all benefits. AFAIK, the only benefit he doesn't have is voting. Oh, and running for President of the United States.

and viza? thanks!

Peanut2

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 9:02 am
A person with a green card is NOT eligible for 'programs' until they have worked for a certain amount of time. When I looked at it it was something like 10 years of working. Or rather, you can apply, but if you are caught the person sponsoring you is responsible for paying back the government. This is something you sign when you apply for a green card.

Applying for a green card cost us about $1800 or so not including lawyers fees. I probably could have done it without a lawyer, but I have a gift for filling out forms and handling this kind of stuff. Most people can use a lawyer (or free legal help where available.)

Health care - most people still get through work. If you do not have through work you can get subsidized Obamacare if you make over a certain amount and under another amount. Eg more than say $24000 and udner $96000 for a family of 4. It is private insurance and the government pays part. People with a green card are eligible.

If you make less you may be eligible for medicaid, or at least the kids will. Adults will if your state expanded medicaid, and states with lower cost of living often haven't. Look into it. AFAIK DH would NOT be eligible for medicaid with a green card (and even once a citizen if he hasn't worked the required amount.)

I've also paid privately for insurance. Costs depend a lot on where you live.

Peanut2

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 9:06 am
To the poster who said you can have a green card and get govt benefits -

has your husband worked for 5-10 years in the US?
If not, have you filled out forms saying he is a citizen?
What benefits does he get?

I am asking because I keep seeing people on imamother saying that you can get means tested benefits on a green card and that's totally wrong AFAIK, and I'm trying to figure out whats going on.

And OP - for a green card you will have to sponsor your DH. If you haven't made more than a certain amount over the past three years you will need another sponsor. And you and this co-sponsor will be responsible if DH takes benefits that he is not legally allowed to have. Which is also true for whoever posted otherwise before.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 12:42 am
Peanut2 wrote:
To the poster who said you can have a green card and get govt benefits -

has your husband worked for 5-10 years in the US?
If not, have you filled out forms saying he is a citizen?
What benefits does he get?

I am asking because I keep seeing people on imamother saying that you can get means tested benefits on a green card and that's totally wrong AFAIK, and I'm trying to figure out whats going on.

And OP - for a green card you will have to sponsor your DH. If you haven't made more than a certain amount over the past three years you will need another sponsor. And you and this co-sponsor will be responsible if DH takes benefits that he is not legally allowed to have. Which is also true for whoever posted otherwise before.

Which government benefits are you referring to?
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating