Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Bday but felling sad

amother

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 8:52 am
Today is my bday, but I need cheering up.
All ideas welcomed.

animeme

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 9:23 am
Good morning and happy birthday!

Today is the first day of Chanukah, a celebration of light that burned in circumstances that seemed impossible, both literally and figuratively. May any lights currently hidden within you emerge in your daily life and long term to light up the world.

On that note, think of something you like to do or consider yourself good at that you haven't done or nurtured in a while. Then let a little piece of it out. Draw something if you liked art as a kid but are too tired to be creative. Sing a song you like at the top of your lungs, in your car or your home. Find an interesting math or logic problem or literature question if you were into that but your life is board books and pacifiers. If you can't do it today, make a plan for it.

Give yourself the birthday and Chanukah gift of enjoying yourself and your inner light, and may the next year of your life be full of the light you shine on others, which will reflect back on you.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 9:27 am
Okay, this is gashmius not ruchnius, but I'm offering it anyway - if you live in Israel get yourself to a Roladin bakery immediately and buy one of their earth-shattering mind-blowing donuts - I don't live there but if I did that's where you'd find me - the darn things even have their own facebook page LOL

amother

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 9:34 am
amother wrote:
Today is my bday, but I need cheering up.
All ideas welcomed.

OP here.
I just wish my kids and grand kids could be here.
I always get empty nest syndrome during this time.
Chanukah is so quiet at home.
Other YT are too busy to miss them.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 9:36 am
amother wrote:
Okay, this is gashmius not ruchnius, but I'm offering it anyway - if you live in Israel get yourself to a Roladin bakery immediately and buy one of their earth-shattering mind-blowing donuts - I don't live there but if I did that's where you'd find me - the darn things even have their own facebook page LOL

OP here
Wish I was there
I live in the US

amother

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 10:08 am
amother wrote:
OP here.
I just wish my kids and grand kids could be here.
I always get empty nest syndrome during this time.
Chanukah is so quiet at home.
Other YT are too busy to miss them.

Are they a cheap flight away? Can you book yourself a short/long trip to visit with them?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 10:13 am
go out for ice cream Ice cream Ice cream Ice cream Happy Birthday Happy Birthday cake Wave
some places offer free ice cream on you"re birthday !

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 11:48 am
happy birthday to you
happy birthday to you
happy birthday dear amother
happy birthday to you

& many more
Ice cream Happy Birthday cake Cheers Drunken Smile

imasinger

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 1:54 pm
Today is my mom's birthday, too. Happy birthday!

It is hard to be apart from family. Phone calls are not the same.

I wish you a wonderful day, anyway, and hope you, like my mom, have some local friends to celebrate with. And that your kids visit soon!

Would it help if you chose a chesed to do today in honor of your birthday? I find that putting a smile on someone else's face always helps me get one back on my own.

Ad 120!

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 2:01 pm
Happy Birthday!!!

"I find that putting a smile on someone else's face always helps me get one back on my own. "

Wow, that's great, Imasinger!

And all in honor of your birthday, OP!

A fine thing to have a birthday during Chanukkah.

OP, go do something weird and fun that you never do.

Hugs.

animeme

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 2:01 pm
Are you in the same time zone? Can you video chat with one of your kids' families as they light? I've done this. My dad lights, my mom holds her phone, and I hold my tablet showing her all my kids lighting. Then we all sing haneiros halalu and maoz tzur together and then people talk to each other. If there are gifts, my parents can watch them open them, and the kids can show school projects, etc. They say they like the noise of my house, which I now understand better because of you.

And if not at lighting time, you could schedule a get together by video chat another time.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 5:57 pm
Hey, I'ts my bday too! so happy bday to both of us. I kept on telling myself what a happy day it is today! and Thank Hashem for all the good things that happened this year.... And pray for the many great years ahead ad me'ah v'esrim!!!!!!!!!!!

and I'ts chanuka... so all the lights upon us! what a beautiful time! YOu were born with a purpose and every day we should remember how special we are! especially on the day we were born!
happy bday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTw. my DH is so going crazy trying to figure out what to get me... HE's already complaining that if I tell him what to get, it would make life easier... I know he wants me to be happy, but isn't the point that he should get it on his own? even if it's a little something.....

HOnestly, I don't need anything. but he'd be happy if I tell him what I do need. Should I tell him what to get or just let him figure it out by himself???
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days