Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Came out way too sticky

bracha tova b

Post Fri, Feb 26 2016, 10:40 am
I need help. I used this challah recipe:
5lb dough 2 eggs 8 tblsp salt 2 cups sugar 3 packs of yeast 5 cups of water and oil a little as u mix
U take the yeast put in a cup mix a little sugar pour warm water a little cover and let it rise
In a separate bowl put flour then eggs salt around the flour not middle so it doesn't touch the sugar and yeast ur going to pour in the middle then after the yeast is all foamed up pour the yeast and the 2 cups of sugar then pour 4 1/2 cups of water and mix pouring oil occasionally if u need
Sometimes u don't need that other 1/2 cup of water bc it's too sticky so leave it on the side u might need it
It looks simple but when I made it it was sooo sticky. Didn't rise so high and it was impossible to work with and make braids. I even used oil and flour to try to work with it and still nothing. Is there any idea as to what step I mixed up and did wrong ?

greenfire

Post Fri, Feb 26 2016, 10:45 am
dough needs to rest ... I usually coat mine with a little oil and leave it - although sometimes it does need a little flour used to knead the dough & shape the dough but that is after the first rising

bracha tova b

Post Fri, Feb 26 2016, 11:35 am
I made it Thursday morning and left it rise through out the day. I also left some oil. For some reason the dough was just impossible to work with. And there were still a lot of bubbles when I took it out at night. Maybe I didn't knead the dough long enough

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Feb 26 2016, 1:04 pm
too much water ... try 4 cups and it should be fine. If dough is too thick with 4 cups then maybe add 1/4 cup more water. 5 cups is too much for me too and after playing around I realized that 4 makes the dough the right texture.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads