Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Dressed up, I look old....?
Previous  1  2

greenfire

Post Fri, Jun 08 2007, 3:19 pm
shoy18 wrote:

LOL that would make me 68, but Im only 24

hm so you're a youngen ... didn't realize ...

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Jun 08 2007, 4:25 pm
Lately I've been getting a lot of shocked looks when I tell people I'm meeting for the first time that I'm 27.
Good!

greenfire

Post Fri, Jun 08 2007, 4:30 pm
the younger you look now ... the younger you'll look later ... when you are actually "old" ... so enjoy

Atali

Post Sat, Jun 09 2007, 5:37 pm
For some reason no matter what I'm wearing people always think that I'm older, but I actually think it is somewhat of an advantage, that people take me more seriously. I understand why people think that I look older, given that I dress conservitively, wear a sheitel, and have a son who is almost three (I'm 22). I don't think that you should be offended that people think that you are 26, I would only be offended if people thought that I was 30 or older.

amother

Post Sat, Jun 09 2007, 6:56 pm
Most importantly to always remain young looking is to keep thin. At the young age of 22 it shouldn't be too difficult to stay thin. And of course very soft makeup and natural lip color help too.

Seraph

Post Sat, Jun 09 2007, 9:40 pm
I also look older most of the time- and am VERY appreciative of that. I enjoy talking to/spending time with older people (as most girls my age are just finishing their first year of seminary, and I'm in a much different place in life...) and because I look older, they don't give hangups that I am young enough to be their daughter- rather, they give more credit to what I'm saying... etc. And then after we're talking for a little bit, I slip in that I'm only 19... and they're like "WHAT??? No way, I thought you were at least 23, 24."
I'm enjoying this for now, but hope that when I get older, I won't look EVEN older. (Btw, all this is without a sheitel. I wonder how old I'd look if I actually wore a Sheitel...)

Ruchel

Post Sat, Jun 09 2007, 10:34 pm
amother wrote:
Most importantly to always remain young looking is to keep thin. At the young age of 22 it shouldn't be too difficult to stay thin. And of course very soft makeup and natural lip color help too.

too thin also makes you look older, so be careful

hadasa

Post Sun, Jun 10 2007, 8:13 am
amother wrote:

I'm overweight and people usually think I'm younger than I am. Like, "You have how many kids? How old are you? I thought you had 2-3 at the most!" When I lost weight, though, I did look even younger.

gold21

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 12:09 pm
to amother who said I should stay thin etc...ok I appreciate your input, but like---? you say that at the young age of 22, it shouldnt be too hard to be thin--? um ok...so why arent we all thin then?? obviously it aint easy 4 all of us....so rather an interesting comment, I must say.
in any case, I am thin. and B"H I do not struggle to maintain my weight. I mean I have to watch my weight to some degree, but I eat normally....
ok but thanks, I guess...
and guys I thought about this and decided that the problem is likely my wig...with my hair uncovered I look sooo much younger ....oh and also I think ppl assume im older cuz im married, I have a baby, etc....but what can I say, you know what, for all the logical reasons, I still dont like to hear ppl tell me I look older than I am!!!!!!!!!!!! Exploding anger
oh well...thats life...I mean its not that I look BAD in the shaitel, just a lil OLDER, right...? ok...

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 3:13 pm
Gold, people also assume I'm old when they see I have a baby Exploding anger
The average first baby age is 29 or 30, so yeah. We have to deal with it... or once they thought it was my baby sister, because my mom was there... oh well

mamaloosh

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 3:53 pm
As a makeup artist and a wigs/hairstylist, I can tell you a few things-
Since you say you wear very natural makeup, it must be your shaitel. It could be that it's all close to one length and maybe that's what's causing it. Maybe if you get it layered more it will help. Also you knwo the side bangs everyone is wearing now? They sometimes make girls look more mature. What brand is your shaitel? Make sure it's a wig that you can layer and will still look natural. Some brands don't look good when you cut them too much.

Just a pointer about makeup for everyone else-

Usually the rule of thumb for 'young' people (at the risk of sounding politically incorrect,) - ages 15 to about 40 is that if you play up lips AND eyes it will make you look older and more mature. SO, If you choose to play up your eyes, use a sheer lip gloss on your lips. If you want to wear a dramatic lipstick, use only very natural eye shadow and mascara and maybe a bit of eyeliner. On the other hand, older women often do look younger in dramatic eyes AND lips. But that depends on the person. Go figure. I say just do what makes you feel good about yourself. (Or don't do what makes you feel bad!)

I'm also 22 and people think I'm at least 25 or more. It bothers me too, and I figured out that it's because in general I feel as though I never really got a chance to 'catch up' with my life. I got married at 19 and gave birth to my SECOND before our second anniversary beli ayin hara, so I always feel like I have to run to catch up with the fact that I'm a mom and a wife while I'm only 22....So It's dumb, but it's like I feel that if people think I'm older I somehow have to 'rise to the occasion' but I'm still a baby!!

gold21

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 7:51 am
thanks for the pointers mamaloosh!!
and nice to know im not the only one with this "issue", ruchel and breslov...

amother

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 9:50 am
gold21 I appreciate you replying to the anonymous poster. How dare she say at that age it is easy to stay thin. She has no clue what people go through.

gold21

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 1:37 pm
sure! that comment was rather insensitive...like as if 22 year olds are a bunch of ppl with perfectly easy lives, we have no problems .... um HELLO? yeah metabolisms and lifestyles and stress levels vary, even amongst mere 22 year olds.... Rolling Eyes sorry that we dont have to walk to school in the snow for 10 miles anymore....but yeah we work hard and raise active children and clean and cook and try to keep our cool...it aint all a bowl of cherries...but ok, thats how I took amother's comment....

Seraph

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 11:39 pm
gold21 wrote:
thanks for the pointers mamaloosh!!
and nice to know im not the only one with this "issue", ruchel and breslov...

Except I don't find it an issue- in fact, I'm very appreciative of it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics